G26 questions

This is a discussion on G26 questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just finished shooting the last of a series of 3 GSSF matches. Today was my lucky day and I won the drawing for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G26 questions

G26 questions

I just finished shooting the last of a series of 3 GSSF matches. Today was my lucky day and I won the drawing for the certificate for the free Glock....as well as winning the match (shot a 496/500). I have a G19 and I'm thinking of getting a G26 to compliment it as my G19 mags will fit. My questions are....how big is a G26 compared to a S&W 442 and can a G26 be pocket carried in work pants with generous pockets? I typically wear Carhart work pants and CCW a 442. Any recommendations on pocket holsters would be great if you have a favorite. Also, any reason to get something other than a G26? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Well.... that 442 IMO will fit better in your pocket than a G26 will. Not to say the Glock won't fit, but you will definitely notice the difference. Most revo lovers will tell you to push on with the 442. But, if you want a companion for your G19, I feel there is no one better suited then the G26. I pocket carry my G26 at times for work but my work pants are a black BDU style. The pockets are pretty deep. As far as holsters go, if you are really dedicated on pocket carrying your G26, I heard a good idea on this forum about going to a tailor and geting the pockets on your pants deepened. Do that and you can find any pocket holster you like.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

The G26 is like a heavy little brick compared to a 442.

The Glock 26 excels as an IWB gun.

For pocket carry, the S&W 442 (or the 642) can't be beat.

As others have said the G26 may be too big to be pocket carried comfortably. As far as other Glock choices have you looked into the competition model G34? I only ask since you apparently enjoy shooting competitively and this might be right up your alley.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I have a G27 and there aint no way Im carrying that gun in my pocket. Its just to thick and heavy for me. Of course it will fit in large pockets, but the weight is very noticeable. Now put it IWB appendix area and I love it. Its my EDC in this position. I also have a S&W 637 Airweight. The Smith is definetly lighter and smaller around the hammer area. I love em both for IWB, but neither in a pocket. For me nothing bigger in my pockets than a LCP.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    For all the love I have for the G26, I wouldn't call it a pocket gun. Yes, it'll ride in a cargo pocket, but so will a lot of other bulky items. I also have a 637 that I'll occasionally pocket-carry. However, the G26 stays in my IWB holster. YRMV.

My 26 stays in my IWB holster fine. Pocket can't say??
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by roadsiderob View Post
    I just finished shooting the last of a series of 3 GSSF matches. Today was my lucky day and I won the drawing for the certificate for the free Glock....as well as winning the match (shot a 496/500). I have a G19 and I'm thinking of getting a G26 to compliment it as my G19 mags will fit. My questions are....how big is a G26 compared to a S&W 442 and can a G26 be pocket carried in work pants with generous pockets? I typically wear Carhart work pants and CCW a 442. Any recommendations on pocket holsters would be great if you have a favorite. Also, any reason to get something other than a G26? Thanks.
    By all means........CONGRATULATIONS on your match score, and...........CONGRATULATIONS on your winnings! TAKE IT! G26? You bet. Pocket carry a semi as opposed to a revolver? I'm thinking the semi is going to weigh more. What you can do with the difference is going to be up to you. There's always a compromise somewhere. Pocket carry a G26? Why not? Check out some of the forum sponsors for holsters, or look into the Remora line. Might even look into something different than pocket carry.

I carry a G27 every day in front pocket. It's a brick as others mentioned, but it's all about what you want if the need arises. The weight bothers me more than size, but I've adapted over the years. Nothing better as far as I'm concerned than a pocket holster for 30 bucks from Aholster dot com.

I carry a G27 everyday in my Glock Sport holster (OWB). It's light , fits tight, right or left handed, and can be carried inside belt or outside of the belt.

I don't like to carry my 27 or 26 in my pocket.

http://www.glockworld.com/item/3660_...LSTER_CMB.aspx
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

The dimension from the top tip of the muzzle to the rear corner of the grip is about the same between the airweight and the G26. The G26 just has some more mass over the web of the hand vs. just the empty space of the airweight in this area. It is hard to deny the lighter weight of the revolver for pocket carry, though. If a revolver somewhat prints in the pocket, it doesn't "look" like a gun like a G26 is more apt to do.

With that said, the G26 can be pocket carried, but for most folks it carries better in a belt holster either appendix carry, smart carry, strong side carry. The little G26 is practically invisible when carried outside of the pocket.

I have both a J-Frame and a Glock 26 that I carry in the pocket.

I find the J-Frame to be easier to draw, and able to fit in a wider variety of pant pockets. The Glock 26 will work, in certain pants, but in not as many as the J-Frame. Both are carried in a Mika Round Bottom Pocket Holster.

If the Glock fits I say it's a good one to have in your poclet. For those times the Glock doesn't fit, go with the J-Frame.

Biker

Wow. Congrats on the shooting!

Pocket carry a G-26? I will say that my experience is with an XD9sc so very similar in size and shape. It pocket carries fine in shorts, Khaki's/Chino's, and BDU style cargo pants. I can not pocket carry it in any of my denim jeans. Just too tight of a fit. I can get it in there just fine, but the draw is impossible. My XD9sc works well with the DeSantis Nemesis however I'm also considering getting a FIST pocket holster as well for it. It's definitely a chunk of weight in your pocket and you will have a bulge which looks like a large wallet, but having a hi-capacity pistol with you is worth it as far as I'm concerned. Also, I have never gotten a second look out of people when I pocket carry my XD9sc including when carrying on a 5 or10 minute conversation with LEO's who never seemed to notice it either.

You may get it and find the pocket carry is not for you, but for me, it's totally acceptable. However, I most often carry the XD9sc in a IWB holster.

As far as the G-26, I think you just gotta get it. It is the natural companion for your G-19 and I don't feel you'll have any regrets even if you choose not to pocket carry.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Well, after going & looking at a G26 yesterday, I'm thinking I might have to opt for something else. The G26 is one big small gun. I tried it out in a pocket and there is no way I could carry it like that all day. I IWB carry my G19 just fine in an MTAC, so there is no justification to get a smaller gun for that, either. Now I'm thinking I might go the other direction and get a G34 for competition or just be boring and get a backup G19.
    Many thanks for all of the replies.

I've tried the G26 as a pocket gun, it's a no go for me. My Kahr PM9 is much better for that. I think the G26 is the wrong size for everything, IMO. For IWB or AIWB for me the G19 is just as easy to conceal. The G26 is too big for the pocket and I might as well have the capacity of the G19 if I'm going to carry on my hip or belt. So I purchased the Kahr PM9 and P380 as pocket guns or real small IWB guns. With an extra mag for the Kahr's I think I'll do OK if I ever have to use it.

The 642 would make a better small IWB or pocket gun than a G26.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links