Kel- tec pistols

Kel- tec pistols

This is a discussion on Kel- tec pistols within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about buying a kel-tec anyone have any feedback good or bad? If possible post a pic....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kel- tec pistols

Kel- tec pistols

I am thinking about buying a kel-tec anyone have any feedback good or bad? If possible post a pic.

which one? caliber?

Either the P-3at or the PF-9. Either the 380 or the 9mm not sure yet.

My p3at has been flawless. I alternate pocket carry with it and my snubby and shoot hot loads out of it. it works well on the move while point shooting and I forget it is there sometimes it is so light. I sold my LCP because of it. I Pmed you a couple vids of me working it out.

cmb
    I have a P32 and it has been flawless, accurate, the 32 does not recoil as much as the 380 and the differences are minor... I have shot the 3AT and it shoots well also (I just prefer the 32 personally) I also owned a PF9, I liked it, plenty accurate, thin and oh so light to carry, it had a decent size grip for a subcompact gun, I sold it only because a j frame snubbie was more versitile for me, the PF9 just would not go in my pocket and the jframe fits bettern on my ankle... The PF9 just isn't a meant to be kept in the safe for value or anything so I found it a good home...
    Last edited by cmb; August 17th, 2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling

I like the PF9 better because it is 9mm and has slide lock. Size overall is just a teensy bit bigger than the 3PAT.

Ron
    I have a PF-9 with over 700 flawless rounds through it. It is my pocket carry gun in a Mika pocket holster. Very accurate at the distances you would need to use it. Has recoil, but easy to get used to, with a Hogue grip.

And, comes with a lifetime warranty.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Kel-Tecs just seem so cheap looking. The 3pat looks like a toy gun and is not comfortable to hold in the hand and isn't fun to shoot. Would buy a Ruger LCP instead. Not much better for the Kel-Tec PF-9. Saw several guys at the gun show trying to sell them on the cheap.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

hey guys frist post here! am very glad to be here with yall! just alot of knowledge here! i bought a pf9 about 5 months back! reg one blue/black! i liked it so much i bought another as soon as i found one! i got the blued slide with grey frame this time so i could tell them apart! i have put over 500 flawless rounds through the first one and right at 400 flawless rounds so far through the second one! they are the lightest and smallest 9mm on the market and for the money you cant buy a better gun! it is a glock no! does it have recoil from hell yes! but if you put the time in and practice with it just like anygun it is easily mastered! and you have to keep this gun clean! i clean them after ever shooting session and am very happy with the proformance! my glock 27 has taken a back seat to this gun due to its size and weight! just a pleasure to carry! i have had 2 and carried p3at's for alot of years now but when i finally got ahold of a pf9(hard to get in my neck of the woods)i had to have one and then 2! lol they are very accurate and reliable! all you have to do is put the time in behind the triiger to get used to the recoil! other then that compared to the p3at you cant beat the 9mm power for not much more size and weight then the 380! and the price you will not find a better defensive carry gun for the money! sorry so long winded for my first post! hope i was able to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Kel-Tecs just seem so cheap looking. The 3pat looks like a toy gun and is not comfortable to hold in the hand and isn't fun to shoot. Would buy a Ruger LCP instead. Not much better for the Kel-Tec PF-9. Saw several guys at the gun show trying to sell them on the cheap.
    It is very fun to shoot and very comfortable. I have a blast every time I go out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Kel-Tecs just seem so cheap looking...
    I guess one could argue that would make them ideal for CC. Nobody knows that you have an ugly gun, except for the bad guy. Who cares what he thinks?

I purposely avoided the "fluff & buff" suggested by so many on the P3AT just to see how long it would take to "break in" the pistol. It took over 500 rounds to be considered reliable and it was initially a little stinker. For the past 700 rounds it has given flawless performance and is a dependable shooter.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My experience with the PF9 has been about 50/50. Great customer service and for the most part a great pistol. So easy to conceal you forget it's there, never had any real big issues just some ammo that it would constantly jam with but you get that with any gun. I sold mine a little while back because I couldn't hit a darn thing with it. Not the guns fault I'm sure I just hated that awful trigger. It's good for what it's designed for and that's protection. It's not a fun range gun by any means, it's kicks super hard and the grip eats your hand after a few rounds. I had trouble finding ammo that it would fire without an FTF or FTE. I just didn't feel it would fire when I wanted it to and I frankly I sucked at shooting it. I went back to snub nose revolver, that's my comfort zone. Besides 9mm isn't big enough to take out the things that share the woods with me
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I have both the P-3AT and PF-9. I love them both. While I would rather carry the 9mm PF-9, there are times when the P-3AT is more practical, like in hot weather.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I had a PF-9 that ran flawlessly for 200 rounds (124gr NATO ball and 124 gr Federal Hyra-Shok), without any fluff and buff or break in. It was tolerable (though not fun) to shoot, at least until round 50 or so. The trigger is long and heavy, but it isn't designed to be a marksman's pistol... I really liked it, but it was primarily for my SO at the time (I was heading overseas and couldn't take it with me) and she couldn't stand the recoil, and so it was sold. Wish I still had it, actually...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links