Picking up the new gun today!

This is a discussion on Picking up the new gun today! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I were looking for a new carry gun that worked for both of us. Currently I have a Glock 23 and was ...

Thread: Picking up the new gun today!

My wife and I were looking for a new carry gun that worked for both of us. Currently I have a Glock 23 and was looking for something smaller and for a gun she was comfortable holding and shooting. Yesterday we tried a 27 and a 36 to see what we liked best. Fortunately we both liked the 27 the best. I took my paperwork to the county to register it today and I am leaving work to pick it up. I'm looking forward to getting to the range soon to put a few rounds through it.

Congrats! It's nice when the wife enjoys shooting and cc'ing. At least you know someone has your back.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Congrats! Have fun and stay safe!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Glad for both of you. But you only bought one? When are you going to get to use it?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

woo whoo! sounds like a winner, and still able to use the g23 mags

GM
    Congrats and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Great gun, enjoy!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Congratulations on your soon to be G27! Happy for the both of you. Looking forward to you joining the club!
    Can't wait for that range report.

As an aside, what does registration entail? Does it serve some purpose for the gun owner? Being in NC we don't do this and I have always been casually interested in the process. No sarcasm intended, just curious. Oh, congrats. on the new gun. john

Congrats, hope it serves you well.

Congrats on the additional Glock.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    As an aside, what does registration entail? Does it serve some purpose for the gun owner? Being in NC we don't do this and I have always been casually interested in the process. No sarcasm intended, just curious. Oh, congrats. on the new gun. john
    John,
    With NY having some of the toughest gun control laws it can get to be a pain. Each county is different. Where I live it is fairly easy to get an unrestricted handgun permit. Take a class, wait a few months for the paperwork and background check to clear and then go pick up your permit. Then you can purchase a gun. Every handgun must be registered on your permit no matter how many guns you have. So yesterday I took the bill of sale for the ne gun to the county pistol permit office, they printed a new card with both guns listed on the back and gave me a receipt that I took back to the dealer to pick up my gun. I guess one could argue the pros and cons of registering the gun but this is our only choice here so that's how we have to do it. The dealer must also sends a bullet that was fired from the gun to file with the folks in the capital. Glock handles this by sending a prefired round in the case with the gun from the factory. The good news is that here in NY we can carry just about anywhere with few restrictions, such as restaurants, bars, etc. Finally, NY has no reciprocal agreements with other states. Because of that I went out and got my Utah and Florida out of state permits so I can carry in some of the other states I travel to. Sorry for the long post but that is how it goes here in NYS.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbmeister View Post
    John,
    With NY having some of the toughest gun control laws it can get to be a pain. Each county is different. Where I live it is fairly easy to get an unrestricted handgun permit. Take a class, wait a few months for the paperwork and background check to clear and then go pick up your permit. Then you can purchase a gun. Every handgun must be registered on your permit no matter how many guns you have. So yesterday I took the bill of sale for the ne gun to the county pistol permit office, they printed a new card with both guns listed on the back and gave me a receipt that I took back to the dealer to pick up my gun. I guess one could argue the pros and cons of registering the gun but this is our only choice here so that's how we have to do it. The dealer must also sends a bullet that was fired from the gun to file with the folks in the capital. Glock handles this by sending a prefired round in the case with the gun from the factory. The good news is that here in NY we can carry just about anywhere with few restrictions, such as restaurants, bars, etc. Finally, NY has no reciprocal agreements with other states. Because of that I went out and got my Utah and Florida out of state permits so I can carry in some of the other states I travel to. Sorry for the long post but that is how it goes here in NYS.
    Thanks for the info. It seems kind of bureaucratic but at least you have ways of reciprocity. Good work on your part. I did not realize that relatively free restrictions of concealed carry were an option for Ny state residents. Here in NC we have quite a few restrictions concerning bars, banks, posted property, and etc. Thanks again, and especially THANKS for not turning this political. John

There is no reason for it to be political. It is what it is. We either deal with the issues where we live or move to some place that you like better. Have a great day!

Links