Frankengun!!!

This is a discussion on Frankengun!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; They said it couldn't be done. Well, they also said it shouldn't be done, but... I did it anyway. I remember growing up in Ohio ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frankengun!!!

Talking Frankengun!!!

They said it couldn't be done.

Well, they also said it shouldn't be done, but...

I did it anyway.

I remember growing up in Ohio and having all my friends work on their own cars. From the "K&N" air filters that I originally thought were pronounced "Cannon", to complete reworks on the engine's heart and soul. Now, I had a car, but I didn't have the intense desire (or the funding) to do the same to mine. It drove, I was happy.

But I appreciated the work done by the learning hands of my friends. Mistakes were made, egos were damaged, and some of those cars were truly terrifying "Fast Caskets". The point is I always kind of envied them their ability to take something of theirs and improve it with their own hands.

I finally found mine in guns. Slowly, and with many mistakes and set-backs, I have really started to enjoy the work that goes into making a truly custom firearm for my personal carry. A while ago I asked around here for some advice on such and got plenty of great ideas and comments. Some were encouraging, and some were warnings presumably borne from experience. I took it all in and decided to go ahead with the project and try my best to create a gun that is unique to me and my tastes.

And so, with a little help from Dremel, we went from this:

To this:

The base is a Springfield Armory 1911 A-1 GI. Included in the modifications are an EFK Fire Dragon Bushing Compensator, Pearce Grips Finger Grooves, VZ Thin Gator Grips, Ed Brown Chainlink Mainspring Housing, and Wilson Combat Value Line Commander's Hammer and Drop-in Beavertail Grip Safety.

Viewed from the rear:

Another angle:

The compensator's "Face":

I know the debate in regards to the compensator, but seeing as how the outcome appears to be academic at best or a trade-off at worst, allow me the pleasure of enjoying it's presence. Besides, I think it looks really cool, it fits in my SERPA holster with no issues, and if there is any benefit from having it, then all the better.

And yes, I know about the night vision thing, but several people have helped to dispel this as outdated information due to modern ammo design and powder formulation. Besides, due to my hands' constant state of Richter Scale Activity, I point shoot most times, so...

Anyhoo, the pieces mostly went in with very little fitting. The grip safety and hammer were much easier than I had been dreading. The grip safety was stiff at first which gave me some concern, but after a little handling with the ammo in another State, it began to loosen right up. The Mainspring housing was very tight going in, but amazingly, it was much easier to maneuver once it had been inserted all the way. The compensator gave me the most trouble. I had to grind about a gnat's whisker off of the slide slot tab to make room for the recoil spring tube to sit beside it. As always, patience and "small steps" were necessary. Not easy to do when your hands shake like mine...

Incidentally, I've also polished the feed ramp to an almost mirror polish. I say almost due to the fact that I couldn't remove a couple of the machining lines, and I didn't want to go any deeper than I had to. Manual tests with Hornady TAP have as yet proven to operate without any issues.

The trigger has actually been improved with a very nice clean break and an awesome reset. I was surprised at this outcome from "Drop-in" parts, but there you have it. I don't think I'll be doing anything else to the trigger for quite some time now.

I've been considering adding XS "Dot-the-I" night sights because the 1911 is a naturally very accurate design, and although I point shoot as stated above, I like having good options for all occasions. I may also add an extended manual safety for a little better resting place for my thumb's high grip.

So, I've function checked it to satisfaction and plan to take it to the range maybe tomorrow for an inspection from the RM and some test firing. I have 100 rounds of .45acp that need discharging, and I think this will help that problem out!

So, that's it. Let me know what you think!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I like it. I understand the creative urge, I'm always looking for something to tinker with just for the fun of tinkering with it.

Good job, I hope you enjoy and it serves you well.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

GM
    That was sweet. Congrats.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

D-a-g-u-m, you are a artist with a dremel tool!

That thing looks more dangerous than my Colt CC
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Looks good to me. I've tinkered with home-grown gunsmithing before but drew the line at grinding with power tools. If it works, more power to yah. Let us know how it goes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Impressive...most impressive. I like it.

Cheers,
    Ilikeguns

Nice job. Now get rid of the you-know-what scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Nice job. Now get rid of the you-know-what scratch.
    I can't do that! It's Frankengun.

That would be like removing Frankenstein's bolts!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Wow! Big difference...niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice pistola.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Very cool.

nicely done sir
    NRA Member
    Glock 23

Quite nice!!! Thanks for sharing the pics...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    I can't do that! It's Frankengun.

That would be like removing Frankenstein's bolts!

Hahaha. Beautiful -- nice work.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

That is a very nice looking weapon!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links