Ruger GP100 .357 Mag

This is a discussion on Ruger GP100 .357 Mag within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have one of these? I was thinking about picking up a low budget revolver and these look great for the money and built like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 .357 Mag

VIP Member

Ruger GP100 .357 Mag

Anyone have one of these? I was thinking about picking up a low budget revolver and these look great for the money and built like a tank.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

I've had a GP100, .357 Mag, 3" for several years. They are stout. I shoot the same hand loads in the GP as in my 27, 3-1/2". The gun shoots well and has enough wieght so the recoil is not excessive. IMO it could use an action job, but I haven't had a chance to find anyone I trust to do it.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Excellant gun, but a bit on the heavy side. One thing in its favor - if you run out of ammo it makes a wonderful club. Got one hanging on the side of my bed.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    Excellant gun, but a bit on the heavy side. One thing in its favor - if you run out of ammo it makes a wonderful club. Got one hanging on the side of my bed.
    I always say, revolvers are great for whipping!

I was lucky enough to come across one of the re-patriated 3" factory DAO stainless GP-100's. It was brought back into the country by Century Arms International and was in pristine shape. I shot it and it was a great shooter, accurate and shot to point of aim.......but I wondered if it could be better. I called Marc Morganti of Gemini Customs. I had personally seen one if his SP-101 masterpieces and asked if he could do the same to my GP. He said yes and off it went. I could not have been happier with the results and I now have a hole in a hole shooter that functions as slick as glass. Here are some pictures.

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Tough gun. Mine is the 4". You can shoot magnum loads all day with the thing if you can afford it.009.jpg

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    Not going to CC carry it, odds are it will be OWB for when I am tromping through the woods here in WA and AK

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp View Post
    I was lucky enough to come across one of the re-patriated 3" factory DAO stainless GP-100's. It was brought back into the country by Century Arms International and was in pristine shape. I shot it and it was a great shooter, accurate and shot to point of aim.......but I wondered if it could be better. I called Marc Morganti of Gemini Customs. I had personally seen one if his SP-101 masterpieces and asked if he could do the same to my GP. He said yes and off it went. I could not have been happier with the results and I now have a hole in a hole shooter that functions as slick as glass. Here are some pictures.
    Nice revolver. Congrats!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

For the woods, mine handles BB 180gr quite nicely, although you definitely know your shooting a mag load.

Great carry gun. You cannot go wrong with this revolver.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I've got one. It is built like a tank, and since it was my first revolver, I'm very fond of it.

That being said, I prefer my 686. Better, smoother trigger, and points more naturally for me.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Not going to CC carry it, odds are it will be OWB for when I am tromping through the woods here in WA and AK
    It's an excellent gun for "tromping through the woods".

I picked one up last spring with a six inch barrel. As everyone will tell you it's a tank of a gun. While a 44 magnum would be better against larger north American critters the GP100 with some of the hotter 357 magnum rounds wouldn't be too shabby either.

I bought mine simply because it was beautiful. Since then I bought a Ruger SP101 with a 2.25 " barrel which has become my wife's desk gun at her office. She had a Rossi 357 in her desk and said "but these guns look the same". I said they may look the same but they couldn't be more different.

BTW, I've got a 686 with a 4" barrel that is just beautiful. It's the one with the "buttery smooth" trigger. Comparing it to the GP100 I'd say it's more refined. But I still love the Ruger.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

You won't regret it if you pick up the GP100. I have had a 4 inch for about 15 years or so. Very manageable, even with some very hot loads.

I prefer the stainless over the blued, and really like the factory wood/rubber grips that came on mine. Very good woods gun.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I have the 4" version. I got it as a range gun to take an all day beating with some stout reloads of mine. It is built like a tank as others have said. I replaced the hammer spring with a 9 lb wolff, and replaced the front sight with a Hi Viz.

I also have a SP101 in 2.25". Can't go wrong with a Ruger IMHO.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Had one since 1991:

It's as good as a revolver can get.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links