Apex Tactical Enhancement Kit (M&P9c)

This is a discussion on Apex Tactical Enhancement Kit (M&P9c) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have this Apex Tactical Kit (link below) on their pistol M&P? I have read a lot of really great reviews on this kit. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apex Tactical Enhancement Kit (M&P9c)

Apex Tactical Enhancement Kit (M&P9c)

Does anyone have this Apex Tactical Kit (link below) on their pistol M&P? I have read a lot of really great reviews on this kit. I am going to be purchasing an M&P Pro Series next week, but already have 2 M&P 9c's (carry pistols for me and the wife), I would like to get a good trigger on the compact pistols as well. I love these M&P's and wish I would have found them earlier.

BIG QUESTION: Will getting the Apex system installed on my M&P Compacts void any warranty from Smith and Wesson? If there were to be a problem with the guns, and then have S&W refuse any work. Thanks!

https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid35.html
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    Does anyone have this Apex Tactical Kit (link below) on their pistol M&P? I have read a lot of really great reviews on this kit. I am going to be purchasing an M&P Pro Series next week, but already have 2 M&P 9c's (carry pistols for me and the wife), I would like to get a good trigger on the compact pistols as well. I love these M&P's and wish I would have found them earlier.

BIG QUESTION: Will getting the Apex system installed on my M&P Compacts void any warranty from Smith and Wesson? If there were to be a problem with the guns, and then have S&W refuse any work. Thanks!

https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid35.html
    First and foremost, I would not get the Apex gear for the pro series until I shot it a few times. They are supposed to be very sweet. As far as voiding your warranty, just keep your old parts and if god forbid something happens just switch them back. I have two M&P's and I can't see any indications that these pistols will need that type of warranty work. Mine are just flat out rock solid and I think they are fantastic. I have the Apex kit for my .45 if that makes you feel any better?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

If you go with the Apex, go for the DCAEK kit with the heavier springs. It will give a strong return and a solid reset. Follow the M&P trigger job kit (I have the PDF if you need it) and do the polishing, very simple. Then, with the DCAEK kit, you'll be running around 4.5 to 5 pounds on the trigger - and that's with the heavier springs. As for the warranty, C hawk Glock already covered that.

For the PC job you already will have in the Pro, the main issue will still be the reset and striker block. The Apex sear is cut from billet, I believe, but a little filing on the standard sear will get you close to it. I still had to polish the Apex sear. It's well worth it.

As for the warranty, all the parts altered by polishing only cost a few bucks to replace. So, replace those parts and put the standard parts back in for warranty work as mentioned above. I have the M&P parts list, the DIY trigger job PDF and the M&P Armorer's Manual. There's very little that you'd ever need to send the M&P in for. It's VErY easy to work on yourself and to order the parts.

I love the M&P, but I need a strong reset and a forceful return since I shoot for speed off of the reset and I don't let the trigger all the way out. The reset will be stronger, more forceful and shorter if you install the DCAEK Apex kit. It will be shorter, a little smoother and just a little less mushy if you just run the Apex sear and Striker Block.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Thank you both for the quick response, I will give the duty kit a try. APEX recommends that the lighter competition kit not be installed on carry pistols, so I will stay away from that one.

Regarding the M&P Pro.....I do not plan on touching THAT trigger at all. I just want my compact M&P to have a good/light trigger like the Pro Series has, that way my pull is consistent in all my M&P's.

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

I have a DCAEK in my FS M&P 357 and I would recommend it as well. The stock trigger was decent, but it is just great after I installed that kit, I especially like the shorter and more crisp reset, the only thing better is my 1911.

garding the M&P Pro.....I do not plan on touching THAT trigger at all. I just want my compact M&P to have a good/light trigger like the Pro Series has, that way my pull is consistent in all my M&P's.
    The only thing different about the Pro's trigger is the sear, not the striker block or springs. It's not a bad trigger and a little better, but personally I would never buy the Pro and just go for the standard with the DCAEK kit. So, the Pro is a step up from the standard trigger, but the Apex is a step up from that. You can order the standard with any of their sighting options as well.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    The only thing different about the Pro's trigger is the sear, not the striker block or springs. It's not a bad trigger and a little better, but personally I would never buy the Pro and just go for the standard with the DCAEK kit. So, the Pro is a step up from the standard trigger, but the Apex is a step up from that. You can order the standard with any of their sighting options as well.
    I thought about your point as well. Would you say that the DCAEK kit actually makes the trigger BETTER than the Pro Series trigger? Or just as good? The reason I ask is because at my local gun store the Pro series is only $100 more than the standard M&P, and it has night sights and the better trigger. I figured the pro series is a better deal in that aspect (DCAEK = $90, Night Sights = $100)

If you shoot off of the reset, it's definitely better. If not, then's it's not a huge difference. It definitely takes that sproing out of the trigger. The Pro series does as well, all they do is add the performance center sear. I don't know about springs, but I don't believe they change any and they also leave the striker block standard if I'm not mistaken. I had the PC trigger job in one of my 45's and it was better than standard, but I'd take the DCAEK any day. As for sights, I like Warren or Heinie, so the S&W sights go for me either way.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I installed the kit on my g/f's M&P9 (not compact). The improvement in trigger feel is huge; it breaks more crisply and the reset is actually noticeable. There are several folks at my local range who have Dan Burwell modded M&P triggers (the PDF guide jonconsiglio mentions is probably Burwell's guide), but I haven't had a chance to compare them side-by-side yet... Nonetheless, you are basically getting custom machined versions of the Burwell sear and striker block in the Apex parts.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Exactly. In his guide it has you round off the striker block and cut the sear so it has a shorter reset. The Apex kit comes this way and includes the heavier springs.

SO.....let me ask this.

Would you rather buy the regular M&P and save the $120. Then buy the DCAEK kit and have it installed?

Or would you spend that $120 extra on the M&P Pro Series?

Pro's and cons are MUCH appreciated...there's a war in my brain right now and neither side has won yet lol.

Well I had the DCAEK kit installed on my M&P 9c. And I must say..................................WOW! The difference is FANTASTIC!! Having this kit installed on my compact has actually convinced me to buy the regular M&P instead of the Pro Series (when my XDM finally sells) and have a DCAEK kit installed on it as well. I actually like the DCAEK kit better than the pro series. To anyone who has the standard M&P, this kit is an ABSOLUTE MUST BUY. Well ...well.....WELL worth the $89

Well I had the DCAEK kit installed on my M&P 9c. And I must say..................................WOW! The difference is FANTASTIC!! Having this kit installed on my compact has actually convinced me to buy the regular M&P instead of the Pro Series (when my XDM finally sells) and have a DCAEK kit installed on it as well. I actually like the DCAEK kit better than the pro series. To anyone who has the standard M&P, this kit is an ABSOLUTE MUST BUY. Well ...well.....WELL worth the $89
    Awesome. How much did it cost to have it installed?

Way too much actually. There is only 2 gun shops here in my little city, and one of them is Gander Mountain.The place I bought the gun is 45 minutes away, and they wanted $65. But they used lock-tight when they installed the night sights (they were running free night sights with purchase) and the private store here said they couldn't get the rear sight off, they were going to do it for $30. I ended up having to pay Gander Mountain $60.

I had a M&P9pro. Loved the gun, it shot well and the trigger was pretty good. That being said, I wouldn't get it unless you want it specifically for gun games. Holsters and sights are harder to find due to the different slide contour and longer barrel. I sold mine to buy a M&9fs with DCAEK installed. It is a much better trigger. Smoother, cleaner break, and much more positive reset. FYI you can buy the M&P9fs here for $570 + $30 shipping with DCAEK installed. You also have the option to get the internals polished and have new sights installed. I recently had a Warren Tactical tritium front/plain rear set installed on my gun and they are all I could ask for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links