1987 s&w 629-1

This is a discussion on 1987 s&w 629-1 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found a near perfect condition 4", custom factory wood stocks, 629 the other day for $599 at Gander Mountain. It is a bit high, ...

Thread: 1987 s&w 629-1

1987 s&w 629-1

I found a near perfect condition 4", custom factory wood stocks, 629 the other day for $599 at Gander Mountain. It is a bit high, but I haven't seen a pre-lock 629 for sale in a LONG time. I went back today and put a 48 hour hold on it so that I can ask questions.
    Are there any concerns with this model? Some of the older 29's had some issues, I don't remember what they were or if they followed over to the 629's.
    What do you guys think of the price? I know that you'd have to see it to say for sure, but it locks up good and tight, the timing is almost as good as my recently repaired (timing issues) 686+ and there is almost no wear indications or discolorations on the frame. And did I mention that is a PRE-LOCK?!?!?
    What do 'ya think? Go or no-go?

Thanks.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Well, I bought it today. No opinions here or elsewhere, but it was too pretty to pass up. I will have pictures soon.
    NRA Life Member

GM
    Congrats on the new toy. I am not a revolver guy, but those S&W look very nice.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

What do you mean, "pre-lock?"

Cool, and I have no opinion on the lock or pre lock because to ME it makes absolutely no difference...id not buy one over the other id just buy which ever gun was nicer looking or had the options I want...for some reason im Obsessed with the ODD barrel lengths...I like Revolvers with 5" barrels lol. I love revolvers grew up with them, they were still the gun being taught at the Police academy even back in 1990(I was one of the last classes before they switched over to semi autos) I only have a snubby now but a nice revolver in .38 special or .357 magnum will be my next gun...just not sure which yet. I like the .357 magnum but honestly have no real REASON to need one as even if I had the .357 magnum id just run it about 99.9% with cheaper and less recoil .38 special ammo anyways lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Striker543 View Post
    What do you mean, "pre-lock?"
    Sometime around 1999-2000, S&W added a locking device on the left side near the hammer. The 629 is from 1987-1988 and has the old style hammer and cylinder release...and NO LOCK!
    The model 629 on left has no lock, model 60 on right has the lock.
    Attached Images
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Strange you should mention issues. I have a prelock 629 and a vintage 29, neither of them have any issues that I'm aware of. Granted the 29 is unfired, but the 629 functions flawlessly.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Sharp looking wheelgun. Congratulations. I like it with the wood grips, looks awesome!
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Only issue I've had with my early 629 is the side plate screws working loose after a lot of shooting. A little locktite goes a long way in stopping this problem though.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Great looking revolver. Enjoy.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Strange you should mention issues. I have a prelock 629 and a vintage 29, neither of them have any issues that I'm aware of. Granted the 29 is unfired, but the 629 functions flawlessly.
    I'm not really expecting any problems, but the early 29's and 629-1/629-2 models were not as "strong" as newer models. S&W came up with the term "Endurance Package" (or E package) beginning with the 29-5 and the 629-3. They hardened the frame (some) more. I called S&W the other day to ask about the "issues". I was told that the pre E pkg guns should be used with 240g max bullets and limit the use of "Full House" loads. Heavier bullet and full house loads would most likely be used for hunting purposes and I am strictly a plinker/target shooter. There is also a very high number posting moderator on the S&W forums that also follows this line of thinking.
    I am planning on shooting a lot of 44 spl loads from magnum cases and I am not expecting "issues" myself.
    NRA Life Member

I thought that I should elaborate on my post above, #11. Over the years, reading various "stuff" on the internet, I have seen many comments on the "issues" with the early 29's. Being that I wasn't interested in a 29 at the time, I only gave it casual consideration. Really just a little data bit to keep in the back or my mind. There was no real description of the alleged problems that I noted, so I didn't go into it any deeper. Since I started looking at 629's, I dug into it some more and found a concern for durability in the older guns (both the 29's and 629's) with the now, much more often used full house loads with 300g+ bullets. That's when I decided to ask on the forums and S&W themselves.
    So really, I was expecting some problems. But it turns out that there will be no concerns for me with my intended use. That's not to say that I won't ever shoot the hot loads, I just don't foresee it happening too often.
    NRA Life Member

Links