Defensive Carry banner

WA State Patrol M&P

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  RKM 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just took a couple trips out to the islands the other day and noticed that every single WA State Patrol working on the ferry routes all had S&W M&P's. I was curious if anyone knows if S&W won a contract for these guys. It was cool to see these guys do their jobs on high alert with sea fair going on and all the USN ships in the Puget Sound. Those dogs were working over time with all the cars that were going on the boats and how many they had to sniff a long the way!

#9 ·
Sounds awesome. I've never been a fan of the USP, and prefer the M&P Compacts over any Glock.
I was told that our State Patrol carried USP .40s in both full size and Compact versions.
Going to M&Ps shows them to be a progressive minded force.

#13 ·
I have owned 3 H&K full size and compact, the problem being I have short fat fingers and could never get a comfortable on them. To echo a previous post their CS is worse than PARA, send a firearm to them in the summer see it again for a Christmas present. I just purchased a M&P in 45 what a great fire arm, excellent trigger, soft recoil, a back-strap for every size hand, and most important very accurate. I have carried a Walther P99 for a long time, was a favorite gun, it has taken the backseat to the M&P. If my pants would hold the weight I would carry my S&W 645, 25 years old and one of the best handguns I have ever owned.:danceban:

#14 ·
It truly amazes me how much I like M&P's, I honestly just started looking at them by chance for the fact that when you go to buy a polymer these days there are always the big four brands Glock/HK/XD/M&P. I had owned the others and wanted to test out the M&P, and was hooked from day one.

#15 ·
I've got nothing agains them - in fact you can tell from my username I like HK, I have a USP compact and love it! It always goes bang and I've never had a single hiccup with it, I wish it was a little thinner/lighter at times but it still carries well. The LEM trigger is an excellent trigger if you learn how to use it. I can agree with many people though that HK could bring their pricing in line with others a little more though - and I really love the USP Series, and I can't see why they can't redesign the USP series with a standard rail, other than going with the HK45 or P2000 and P30 series. Do a V2 USP series with a picatinny and NOBODY would complain about loosing the stupid proprietary rail. That being said I"m very impressed with the M&P - I"ve fondled a few and would really like to get one or two in the future, I really like both the compact and fullsize models - my only gripe about the M&P series is that I wish they had a little more positive reset in the trigger, just a little more "snap" or tactile feel that it has reset - otherwise a dang near perfect gun, I think I"m going to get at least 1 1911 first, maybe two though... thats the bummer when your wish list is bigger than your budget! Oh well - things to look forward to I guess - and I guess I could just not eat... :haha:

#18 ·
My USP's. The first is a Tactical 45, the second is a 40 caliber Expert, the third is my 45c and the fourth is my HK45. You should be able to see the ergonomics and the difference just in the pics. I much prefer the HK45 and the P30. Sold my P30's a while back, sold my 45c last month and have the HK45 up now for sale. Though I really like the HK45, I just don't have a need for it since my 1911's get the most attention for 45's. I may get another M&P45, but not sure.

As for 9mm, the P30 is the only one I'll buy again since the P2000 is too small for what I like and the USP in 9mm doesn't feel anywhere near as good as the others, which is why I went for the 45 and 40 (which was a mistake). I still prefer the M&P and Glock for 9mm's and even the Sigs, but I may sell a Sig or trade one in for another P30 since I found a new love for 9mm and I have 3 Sigs not getting much attention right now. Don't even get me started about the stupid rails on the USP's.

Not sure if you can tell by the pics, but you can see how they fit in my hand....added a pic of the M&P in my hand as well. The firs two images, you can see the frontstrap and rear, the USP is basically flat with 90º angles when the fron and rear meet the sides. The P30, HK45 and 45c both have much less sharp angles which makes them much more comfortable for many as does the M&P. The M&P45 is almost exactly the same size as the 9mm and 40 cal.

ctsketch, I'll come back and edit this to reply to the question you asked earlier in the thread.

#20 ·
Had 2 HK's, sold one.

A fullsize USP 9mm, slightly overpriced for what it was, I felt it was kinda clunky, only shot so so (not sure if it was me or the gun) only problem I had with it was using CCI Aluminum. I sold it to fund another gun (.357 snubby and some ammo) and have ZERO regrets about it.

Have a P7-PSP, which while heavy, is a far superior gun in all aspects (IMO), extremely accurate and a joy to shoot. I did have an issue with the piston rattling around, contacted HK and received superior service from them. Sent the slide in, had it back with parts replaced and tight as a drum in 2 weeks including shipping. The only thing I paid for was shipping to them, and this gun was purchased used and as I understand it, HK warranty only applies to the original owner.

I have shot a few rounds through an P2000sk in .357sig, which I thought was pretty nice, but over-priced for what it is might consider a used one at some point down the line, but not high on the list (so to speak).

To get back on topic, I am however interested in the .45 MPc :wink:

#21 ·
I don't have anything at all against HKs. The HK45 may be the best .45 on the market right now.

Most of the complaints about HK that I hear do in fact deal with terrible CS. An SF buddy of mine told me that the US Army was very interested in the HK 416 as replacement for the M4 but were disappointed when HK wasn't as interested in the US Army, who found the relationship to be one-sided. In fact, he said HK was downright ambivalent about the matter. I guess business is good over at HK?

#22 ·
As for the M&P, I had a M&P compact .40 plopped in front of me at the gun store and REALLY liked it... Not was I was initially looking at but aside from a couple 1911's I'm gunning for I REALLY want a M&P compact for a future daily carry! (to replace my USPc as a smaller and lighter option, I'd probably put a rail adapter and light on the USPc and use it for a Home defense gun)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.