Tell me why....

This is a discussion on Tell me why.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone tell me why a .22LR revolver from S&W cost more than a .38 special?...

Thread: Tell me why....

Tell me why....

Can anyone tell me why a .22LR revolver from S&W cost more than a .38 special?

2. Remove Ads

Here is another "Tell me why..."

Can anyone tell me why a .233 AR-15 costs around twice as much as a .22 LR AR-15?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gwlammers View Post
    My best guess is production numbers. S&W sells far more 38's than they do 22's, so the 38's are cheaper to produce.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by MoResident View Post
    Here is another "Tell me why..."

Can anyone tell me why a .233 AR-15 costs around twice as much as a .22 LR AR-15?
    Supply and demand.

Quote Originally Posted by gwlammers View Post
    There's more metal in the 22lr than the 38spl revolver. Think about it....it's the size of the holes in the chamber. I'll bet it's heavier as well. May have nine holes instead of six, but there's still more steel there. Besides...it's the market. Who would rather have a 38spl revolver over a 22lr revolver these days? Okay...just kidding. Go for .357 in the revolver. That way you can still shoot 38spl and get your money's worth. LOL! I hope you can see it for what it is and please don't get angry with me. I'll open up a disqualification clause in my post by stating that if I were to buy a revolver of any kind, it would be a Ruger, Colt or Taurus before a S&W personally.

RamRod. You didn't say anything that would anger me. I agree that I would not want a .22 over a .38 for defense, but it is cheaper to shoot a box of .22 than .38 at the range.

The 22 might have more metal in it than the 38 spl, but that is just because not as much metal was not machined out during manufacturing. S&W 22 revolvers have a higher capcity cylinder than a 38 spl. This requires more machining and work on cylinder timing. Add that to the quanity manufactured and the price goes up. If you shoot much you end recouping the cost in ammo savings in a short time. Go for it.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Links