picked up an m&p 9mm 5" pro series today.

This is a discussion on picked up an m&p 9mm 5" pro series today. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had been looking into the xdm for some time, seeking a full size range/fun gun. Possible idpa shoots. I have yet to do any ...

Thread: picked up an m&p 9mm 5" pro series today.

picked up an m&p 9mm 5" pro series today.

I had been looking into the xdm for some time, seeking a full size range/fun gun. Possible idpa shoots. I have yet to do any type of competition but I would like to try at some point. Anyhow, I came across the m&p a few months ago and decided to try it out, I really liked the gun and it fit better than the xdm in my hand. I also like the fact that its american made, being a uaw worker, I support american made products. I hear good things about s&w's support too. So I was out at gander mountain today looking at a new 12ga for turkey season. Looking at the tactical turkey from mossberg. And noticed 2 m&p 9mm pro series 5" in the used case, they both looked darn near new. I inquired and the sales man told me they were from one of S&W's demo's for our local law enforcement. Increased the cool factor for me
    I got her for $575 and I still get the rebate or mags. Gona choose the mags. Going from shooting a 1911 its sure easy to blow through 17 rounds of 9mm.
    Anyhow I took her out back and put a hundred rounds through the gun with zero issues, and it had obviously not been cleaned since the prior usage.
    The gun is fun, trigger is very smooth, a bit longer travel than my Kimber
    But the break is nice and light. 4.5lbs.
    I'm not a great shot by any means. But at about 30ft I was killing some pop cans. It took about a mag to get the sight down, with the fiber optic just breaking the horizon or the rear sight, hit the sweet spot and made some nice shots. I may add some sort or marking on the rear to help in lower light. All in all Im quite happy with the gun.

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Congrats on the M&P. Glad that you like it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Welcome to the club! You will get to love your M&P for sure. It's a great choice and I tended to like them more then the XD's I have owned as well.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Congrats.....I'm thinking about one myself
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I'm THIIIIIIIIS close to buying the Pro Series in the Service size. I just can't decide whether to pay for the Pro Series, or to get the Standard M&P and have the Apex DCAEK kit installed.

Glad you like the gun, and CONGRATS!
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

I think I would have to give the Pro serious consideration if I didnt buy a full size .45 first.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Congrats, M&P's are great pistols, you will love it.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    congrats! I am jealous i want one too!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    I'm THIIIIIIIIS close to buying the Pro Series in the Service size. I just can't decide whether to pay for the Pro Series, or to get the Standard M&P and have the Apex DCAEK kit installed.

Glad you like the gun, and CONGRATS!
    By all means, get the standard and add the DCAEK. The reset is much stronger and more crisp. The Pro is a great gun and a great choice for anyone not interested in doing trigger work and are happy with the way it is.

I have the DCAEK kit and have had the PC trigger job before and hands down, the Apex DCAEK is better...and faster shooting due to the return spring.

Now, for those with the Pro, you can just order the heavier springs from Apex and the striker block, or even just order the MA compliant springs and trigger bar and do some polishing. All are close, the Apex is just more clean and faster for me. the MA set is heavier and the standard is weaker than the Duty?Cary kit from Apex.

OP, good find, really a great gun, especially considering the price.... and I'm a 1911 guy and mostly shoot Nighthawks, but right now I'm loving my M&P and my Glock 17 Gen 4.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post

I have the DCAEK kit and have had the PC trigger job before and hands down, the Apex DCAEK is better...and faster shooting due to the return spring.

What's the "PC" trigger job? So what your saying is that the DCAEK kit is just as light a pull as the stock Pro Series trigger...but has a faster reset? I don't see why I wouldn't just do the regular M&P, then add the DCAEK kit....I think your right sir.

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Performance Center, sorry about that. Now, with standard Apex Sear and Striker Block will be lighter than standard and about the same as the Performance Center that they use in the Pro, but the Apex Striker Block creates a smoother pull. this mod can easily be done on the standard Striker Block if you're OK with a Dremel.

Now, add in the Duty/Carry kit and you add a stronger return spring and a stronger trigger spring. You can mix and match as you'd like. If you install both springs, the trigger pull is a hair heavier, but smoother and more crisp. If you polish the parts, you'll lighte it some and make it even smoother. I have Burwell's trigger job PDF if you'd like it and it's very simple, just skip the sear and block section if you buy the Apex kit.

With the DCAEK (Duty/Carry) kit being a little heavier - about a pound or so - you have a more forceful return and a more solid click on the reset. As you know, the M&P leaves a lot to be desired in the reset. I shoot fast and I shoot off of the reset, so it's VERY important to me. I can't remember the last time I just fired a single shot and put the gun down or waited to fire the second.

So yes, a faster, more pronounced reset that's a bit sooner. Win-win. The polishing will make quite a difference as well. I have the PDF and the M&P Armorer's manual if you're interested - along with a number of other Armorer's manuals.

The Pro's sights are nice, but for me they're not nice enough. I want a Heinie or Warren tactical single dot rear and a TruGlo TFO or white-outlined tritium front. I run fibre optic tubes as well, but found I like the TFO better especially since it has the tritium insert. I know what people say about if it's that dark, they won't shoot, but obviously few of them have run through a dark shoot-house had to clear their home in the middle of the night. EVen if it's strictly a range or competition gun, I still like the larger TFO fibre optic w/ tritium because it stands out more for me, but remember, that's JUST ME.

So again, the Pro has no advantage for me over the standard line. Only if I had no plans to touch the trigger would I get it, and that would be with their night sights instead of the tritium they use. Now, I believe you can get them to use the Warren tactical rear sight since that's what they use on the Julie Golosky M&P. That would be a good option on either. get them to install the Warren Tactical rear and have the front tritium sight, then all you'll need to do is get the APEX kit.

Many options, but none require the Pro series in my opinion, but again, that's just for me, others may love it.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Thank you so much for the help. What about sending it to Dan Burwell? I read that he does a great job with the M&P's, his website actually lists a 3.5lb trigger pull without replacing any springs.....for $65 I wonder if that might be a better option to both?

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/Services.htm

Dan does a great job on the M&P. I hate saying this, but you can basically do the same job he does yourself if you follow the guide he put out. If you want to take a look at it, just send me your email and I'll get it to you. My email is jonconsiglio@gmail.com.

Now, the nice thing about him doing it is that you can be sure it'll be done right. It's definitely a great option. Either way, the key is to add the heavy spring kit from Apex or even use the MA compliant trigger bar and springs. This is what will make the reset faster and more pronounced. The Apex DCAEK kit is just heavy springs added to the package. the sear and striker block are the same either way. If you have Dan do the work, just ask him to install the heavy springs. What's nice is his job bringing it down to 3.5 will only go back up to about 4 or 4.5 with the heavy springs, so it's still lighter than factory, but just a bit.

I always do the stuff myself just for the fact that I don't like my guns being gone. It's pretty simple and the M&P is one of the easier guns to do a trigger job on. All of the options are good, whether you buy a Pro and just install heavier springs, order the DCAEK Apex kit and do it yourself, have Dan Burwell do his trigger job and add the heavier springs (or not if you don't want them) or just follow the do it yourself guide from Burwell and add the springs in. With his guide, you can do as much or as little of the job as you'd like.

nbock951,
    Congradulations on the M&P.

I purchased the service model M&P in 9mm and have been very impressed with its' reliability and accuracy. I've been shooting Winchester 147gr. JHP ammo and have been able to get 1" groups at 20 yards. Much better accuracy than I had expected.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
    Beer Nuts: $1.49
    Deer Nuts: Still under a Buck.

Links