Fondled a 4th Gen G17

This is a discussion on Fondled a 4th Gen G17 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went shooting today. After that I saw a 4th gen 17 in the glass. I had not had a chance to fondle one til ...

Thread: Fondled a 4th Gen G17

Fondled a 4th Gen G17

I went shooting today. After that I saw a 4th gen 17 in the glass. I had not had a chance to fondle one til today. The guy working was not sure which of the three backstraps were attached. He had no idea where the other two were to compare When I picked it up it felt just like my 3rd gens, so I am assuming that it was the middle size backstrap. That would be perfect for me anyway as I like the grip angle on all 2nd & 3rd gen Glocks.

I had remembered reading someone's post awhile back that stated that the 4th gens feel like they have a heavier trigger pull. When I dry fired it, it felt like a stock 5.5# pull. I must admit that I like the way it felt. But IMO if it aint broken, don't fix it. If I purchase another Glock it may be a 3rd gen 19 or 26. Even though I have a 2nd gen 19, I've had the itch for a 3rd gen.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The 4th Gen G22 I handled had the bare grip (small size) and I definitely preferred that over the earlier versions. Other than that, I didn't really notice any difference.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I fondled a 4th gen G22 earlier this year when I got my wife her 3rd gen G26. More than likely before most had the opportunity. At first I thought this may be something to ponder...advance a bit.....keep current with the future, etc. Not long ago I was awaiting accolades on the new Glock on the block to feed my desire. Now, there seems to be little there for me personally, and I'm not pursuing the thought any more. Maybe I am an ol' dog and bucking change. I'm just wondering why the need for the change. I'm dug into the 3rd gens and work with what I have. Asking a large corporation to adapt to you is somewhat an unacceptable excuse for change. Humans adapt to their environment and always have....that's why we're the top of the food chain on this earth. The tools we're given to work with. Fire................it didn't adapt to us, we adapted to it and work with it as is to this day. Fire will never change and adapt to us..we can still get burnt, or we can cook a good steak with it. Some things in this world will never change, and there's reasons for why. Personally, I think Glock came full circle with the 3rd generation pistols. Improvements? Marketing? In who's mind? You've just got to realize what's meant to be and in what way you'd like the world to adapt to you. We're becoming weak in thinking the world can adapt to us and we're becoming selfish and egotistical. I can see it much more clearly now. Be careful what you wish for.

RamRod you made some very valid points there. I couldn't agree with you more, brother!
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I have to politely disagree with Ram Rod. How many posts have there been saying "Glocks don't fit my hand" or "I don't like the mag release; I'm a lefty" etc.

If Ford was losing customers to Chevy because too many customers complained about a hard ride and bought GM instead, don't you think Ford would make changes in the suspension?

The change in the backstrap design was to accomodate more hand sizes, thus making the Glock fit more hands. The texture change was to satisfy the many who didn't care for the original grip and felt it was too slippery. The change to a reversable mag release now accomodates lefties, which it didn't before.

With so many choices to select from in the handgun world, customers are not going to "adapt" to a pistol they don't like the feel of. They will set it down and try something else. Glock has then lost a sell, and that's not acceptable to manufacturers. Just because the Gen 3 fits you fine doesn't mean it fits everyone else and that they should "adapt" to it.

If makers didn't adjust to customer demands, we'd all be driving around listening to 8-tracks instead of MP-3s. Is it better now? Some may not think so; others will. But if you wish to stick with the 8-tracks because they were good enough, I have a stack of cartridges i'll let you have cheap.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Many people pick up a Glock and if it doesn't feel like a 1911, they don't like the grip angle. After pointing and shooting Glocks for years, they are perfect for me. When I pick up my Sig 228 and point, the sights don't line up until I draw and point a few times. Then when I go back to the Glock again, my sight picture is off. I have to do a few more draws and I'm back on. It is adapting. "Most" people can adapt to the grip angle of the Glock which is why so many have been sold to date.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    With so many choices to select from in the handgun world, customers are not going to "adapt" to a pistol they don't like the feel of. They will set it down and try something else. Glock has then lost a sell, and that's not acceptable to manufacturers. Just because the Gen 3 fits you fine doesn't mean it fits everyone else and that they should "adapt" to it.
    I have to agree 100% with that. I recently bought a new Gen 4-G17, I much prefer it's ergonomics to those of my G19.
    Last edited by OD*; August 19th, 2010 at 01:48 PM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

No need for the change, but I prefer my Gen 4. It feels better in my hand, it's ever so slightly flatter shooting to some, and I really like the trigger with a strong return and reset for speed. I added the 3.5 lb connector and polished everything. I have both recoil assemblies and am ordering a 15 pound Glockmeister stainless assembly. Not for any reason other than the way it's secured in the slide.

I have over 2,000 flawless rounds through this gun. More than half of those are one handed, support hand, on the move, from odd positions, after hitting the ground during some carbine drills, etc. Flawless. Had there been any issues I'd have dumped it and bought another Gen 3. Same goes for my M&P. I bout both a little over two weeks ago and have about 3,500 between the two of them with no cleaning and through heavy use.

Once I hit 3,000 with each, I'll thoroughly clean them and start a 2,000 round shoot with them and one or two of my Sigs with no cleaning and little on a static range. Now, when I went to pick up the 17, I really didn't care which one I got. I was trying to give my local shop some business and decided to buy those two and another that week there at their higher prices. So, I was getting ready to walk out with a Gen 3 since I didn't see the Gen 4 that was there a few days before, but right when I was handing them my CHL and multi-form one of the guys brought a Gen 4 out from the back, so i opted for that.

Glad I did. It's more comfortable to me. Not only a little thinner grip, but more contoured on the rear and since I use a very high thumbs forward grip, my knuckle on my right thumb doesn't rub on the side of the grip like it does after shooting a while on the Gen 3. I have a very firm grip, so even the M&P or Gen 3's stay put during rapid fire with sweaty hands, but the extra texture is a nice thing even if I don't need it.

I know a number of guys that primarily shoot Glocks that have went with the gen 4 because it feels better in their hand. I know a couple that are fine with the Gen 3 but have mentioned that the Gen 4 feels a little nicer. I also know many people that have had the same issues with Gen 3's with weaker ammo.

Sure, there's a lot of things that didn't need fixing, but upgrades is what manufacturers do. The finger grooves weren't necessary, the second pin in 9mm wasn't necessary, the SF frame wasn't completely necessary (though nice). It's how it goes. I'm glad they did personally.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    I like the idea behind the Gen 4. Changeable backstraps to accommodate different hand sizes, reversible mag release to accommodate lefties.
    If Glock would have done this a few years ago the S&W M&P may not have come into existence....or at least wouldn't have had so many sales to LE agencies.
    Glock lost out on a bunch of sales by not doing this earlier.

We have a few guys that traded in the Gen 3 they had and got the Gen 4 and they really like them. Some of these include some lefties that are happy they have the button in the right place now.

My wife has expressed interest in a 17 or 19, and I want a 19 so I'm sure we'll be adding Gen 4s to the armory sometime in the future.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=NY27;1738180]Many people pick up a Glock and if it doesn't feel like a 1911, they don't like the grip angle. After pointing and shooting Glocks for years, they are perfect for me. When I pick up my Sig 228 and point, the sights don't line up until I draw and point a few times. Then when I go back to the Glock again, my sight picture is off. I have to do a few more draws and I'm back on. It is adapting. "Most" people can adapt to the grip angle of the Glock which is why so many have been sold to date.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they can adapt--if they wish to. And therein lies the rub, many won't or don't. Just as in anyone can learn to drive a stick shift--if they put in the time and effort.

Do Glocks feel and point differently? Yes. Are they wrong? No, too many shoot them for them to be wrong. But I think Glock finally realized that many didn't like the feel of the earlier Gens, therefore the Gen 4. now the gun is more capable of adapting to the shooter than the other way around.

Links