S&W 325NG Range Report

S&W 325NG Range Report

This is a discussion on S&W 325NG Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, got to finally spend some serious time with my 325 Night Guard on Wednesday, figured I'd give a report. A little background... Back in ...

Thread: S&W 325NG Range Report

S&W 325NG Range Report

So, got to finally spend some serious time with my 325 Night Guard on Wednesday, figured I'd give a report.

A little background...

Back in January, I picked up a 329 Night Guard...a 2.5" barreled 28 ounce .44 Magnum. Well, it had issues from the get-go; light primer strikes, which was a known issue...so, back to S&W it went for a new firing pin. Back it came, functioned great...but.

As can be imagined, it was a fistfull of dynamite. Accurate, yes. But follow up shots were slooow to get back on target. That, and after 3 cylinders, my middle finger was already bruising from the trigger guard slamming into it. I considered just carrying .44 Spl in it...as it was ballistically very similar to .45 ACP, and we know that has a great track record. Shot some .44 Spl in it, all is good...but then I got to thinking.

I says to m'self "Self, you already have several pistols in .45 ACP; why start having to stock up on a new caliber? Why not just get a .45 ACP model--a 325 Night Guard?"

I was thinking these very thoughts when I walked into my local shop, and spied a nice, new 325NG sitting on the shelf.

As this was the same shop where I bought the 329, I asked the owner about a trade...he chuckled and said "Didn't I say that you'd end up carrying .44 Specials in it, and that .45 made more sense?".

I simply asked how much he was going to charge me for admitting he was right...turned out it wasn't all that much, and the deal was done.

So...on to the shooting part.

Well, not quite...one of the first things I learned is that moon clips are a pain to load by hand; if you consider buying one of these pistols, invest $40 in a Moonsetter pliers & .45 arbor from Brownells. You'll thank me.

The second is that it's very handy to have a short piece of dowel (3/8", I think) that will fit inside the cases to remove them from the clips.

Now, on to the shooting.

It shoots great. The XS Big Dot with the C&S rear U-notch sight are just...darn near perfect. The pistol, at least for me, is a natural pointer, and everything just lines up perfectly. My first six shots were single action, slow fire, from 15 yards; my target was a square of duct tape on a piece of cardboard...all six shots landed inside the the tape, four of six making a a very tight diamond.

Transitioned over to double action slow fire; now, the duct tape has been obliterated.

I repaste, and try some rapid fire...6 shots as fast as I could reacquire my sights (very easy with the Big Dot). I get a ragged, palm-sized group about 2" low, equally spread from about 5 to 7:00. Try a quick reload (this is where moon clips are really, really nice...all six rounds cleanly eject, and those round-nosed .45's slip right on in to the chambers), and dump another six. Same area, same size.

Move on to one handed drills...though a bit slower, the accuracy strong hand is right on. Weak hand, not so good...I'm thinking it's the heavier DA trigger; some work will be in order (mainly on my shooting weak hand, but a trip to the Performance Center is being considered).

On this a few notes on the trigger..DA is a bit heavier than other S&W revolvers I have, but very, very clean--no stacking at all on the end, almost a surprise break. Single action is sweet...very sweet, & crisp, though maybe a tad on the heavy side (again, compared to my other S&W wheelies).

I continued on through a box of good ol' WWB; all worked great. My final shots were at 25 yards and an empty 20oz water bottle; it bounced around quite nicely, and I may have to revise my opinion of XS sights and longer distance shots. More shooting will be required (Oh, woe is me...).

Finally, I put a quick box of PDX-1 through it to test accuracy (wasn't too concerned about reliabity...it's a revolver...). 7 yards, one ragged hole in the first six rounds slow fire; rapid fire was similar to the WWB FMJ. And yes, they all fed just fine. I'll run them for the time being, though I have some concerns about their reliability out of a 2.5" revolver (wondering if their velocity will be too slow for reliable expansion). I'll have to maybe haul out some water jugs to the range and see how the PDX-1 works; maybe bring some RA45T & Gold Dots along for the ride as well. I'm also considering possibly switching to a heavy (255gr) SWC design, depending on performance of JHP's.

And, for those who ask for pics...here ya go:

Sorry, no target pics; it just started raining when I snapped this one with the phone, and I wanted to haul tail before getting completely soaked.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Very , very nice. I have thought those would be great carry revolvers since they came out. Are the light primer strike problems inherent to only the 329 or the entire NG series?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Very , very nice. I have thought those would be great carry revolvers since they came out. Are the light primer strike problems inherent to only the 329 or the entire NG series?
    From what I've read online (so, consider the source), it's an issue with the 3XX N-frames.

I chose to send mine back to S&W--they will also send you the firing pin, if you want to DIY (I was offered this option, but...heck, it was a brand new gun; they should fix it)...I've also heard that that an Apex firing pin will correct the issue as well.

So far (120 rounds) my 325 is running fine...I may change out to an Apex just as a pre-emptive strike (or, if I send it to the PC, ask them to put the longer pin in)...but I also have a strong tendency to not mess with something that's not broken.

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Thanks. Keep me posted, that is one on my very long short list.

Thanks. Keep me posted, that is one on my very long short list.
    Glad to help...btw, I've got a very long short list myself (and, for some reason, it gets longer all the time...). A .45 ACP revolver was on it, and now...danged if I don't want another one! A 325 Thunder Ranch Revolver just seems like a good idea to me...

To be dead honest, I'd recommend taking the plunge and buying one. It's just a nice package across the board, and S&W was very good about correcting the issue with the 329 (e-mailed me a Fedex call tag, were very close on their time estimate (told me about 4 weeks, took 33 days).

That, and it seems the prices on these have just dropped some (which, of course, happens often after I buy a new gun...).

Might just take your advice. They make one in 10mm don't they? Now that would be cool!

Might just take your advice. They make one in 10mm don't they? Now that would be cool!
    They do; the 310 NG. I was figuring that would be right up your alley... (I have no idea why...)

To be dead honest, since I have two 10mm's already (G20 and Witness Elite Match), I was seriously considering it...it's just that my LGS had the 325 on the shelf, and cut me a very fair deal on the trade in; if they would have to have ordered the 310...not so good of a deal.

Though...should I someday stumble on one for a decent price, I'll probably snap it up.

GM
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Links