Defensive Carry banner

Ambidextrous Safety, 1911s & Concealed Carry

16K views 31 replies 29 participants last post by  Rexster 
#1 ·
I am considering a 1911 for concealed carry. Unfortunately, the one I seem to like the most has an ambidextrous safety. It seems to me that having the safety lever on the outside would periodically result in the safety getting bumped into the “fire” position inadvertently. I am interested in hearing from those of you who actually carry a 1911 with an ambidextrous safety whether this has been a problem for you.

Also, if anybody has had a Springfield Loaded converted to right-hand safety only (safety on the left side of the gun), I would be interested in knowing what that cost and how long it took them to do it.

I appreciate your input.

#31 ·
I certainly cannot claim the longevity that OD has :wink: My EDC is a Kimber Ultra, w/ ambi safety. Never had the safety become dis-engaged. I wear IWB all the time, in the summer, in tuckable fashion, in winter, my wool vests cover the IWB--again, NEVER had it "snick" off.......

#32 ·
Yes, I have found an ambi safety had been swept to the "fire" position at least once, perhaps more often. It has been a long time, so I am not sure, and there may have been a similar sweep-off of a standard extended safety when carried lefty. (There were times I carried two 1911s, when the risk made it seem wise; I wear a badge.) The event(s) did not disturb me, as I have used good holsters that covered the trigger guards, and I have always function-tested my grip safeties.

FWIW, this never occurred with a 1911 with a small, GI-sized safety. Jeff F shows a good idea in his photo, IMO. I never felt I needed expended safety levers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.