Defensive Carry banner

Ambidextrous Safety, 1911s & Concealed Carry

16K views 31 replies 29 participants last post by  Rexster 
#1 ·
I am considering a 1911 for concealed carry. Unfortunately, the one I seem to like the most has an ambidextrous safety. It seems to me that having the safety lever on the outside would periodically result in the safety getting bumped into the “fire” position inadvertently. I am interested in hearing from those of you who actually carry a 1911 with an ambidextrous safety whether this has been a problem for you.

Also, if anybody has had a Springfield Loaded converted to right-hand safety only (safety on the left side of the gun), I would be interested in knowing what that cost and how long it took them to do it.

I appreciate your input.

#2 ·
I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II with an ambi safety that I used to carry in a SmartCarry. That is, until I found the safety snicked off two different times. This doesn't happen with my wife's Kimber Ultra Aegis II that has a smaller safety lever only on the left-hand side for a right-handed shooter.

There's nothing like finding a loaded, cocked 1911 pointing at your family jewels with the safety off. :popout:

#17 ·
I bought a Kimber Ultra Carry for use in a Smartcarry; I considered an ambi safety model (Ultra CDP) prior to purchase and did not think it to be a good idea for the exact reason you stated.
I did get a CDP Compact for IWB strong side carry, but have not carried it yet (waiting on holster and not finished with "break-in").
I don't need or really like ambi saftey levers, I just liked the look of the CDP.

#3 ·
I have not had this happen with my 1911, but it did occur with a Browning HiPower. It was not real safety problem for me as my holsters fully cover the triggers, and I train to snick off the safety on the draw. I admit I do think less about it on the 1911 because of the grip safety.

Cannot help on the "lefty switch."

#5 ·
While I usually carry 1911s with a single-side safety, I have and sometimes do carry one with an ambi. I've also carried one on each side, with the one with the ambi on my left. I have had the offside lever bumped and snicked off a couple of times, but did not get overly concerned. After all, British SAS used to carry their BHPs in Condition 0, cocked and unlocked, and the BHP has no grip safety. (If you want to see lots of opinions about Condition 0 carry, there's another lengthy thread nearby.:wink:) If the possibility bothers you, you have a couple of easy choices: 1. Pull the ambi safety, grind off most of the lever on the offside, and put it back in, or 2. Have a single-side safety installed. A new safety will cost anywhere from $20 to $35, and installation is simple, but requires a little file work. When I fit one, I typically charge $45-50 total, part and labor included. If you have skills with simple hand tools, it's easy, but if you aren't comfortable, most pistolsmiths are reasonable for this task. Just be sure it will pass a YARF test after it is installed. If your smith doesn't savvy "YARF," find one who does.

#8 ·
I haven't dealt much with ambi safeties and have installed only one. However converting an ambi to a right hand (standard) safety should be no problem. The ambi can be easily removed by removing the right side grip and pulling out the lever. To remove the left side lever, the gun must be cocked. The lever is set half way between safe and fire and pulled out. The new safety would need to be fitted to the gun and is easily installed. I imagine a pro would charge $50-$75 which would include the cost of the new safety. The whole operation could be done in a half hour or so. Some disassembly of the gun is required.
Additionally, a properly installed safety should not just go from safe to fire with the least amount of effort. Properly installed, a safety will "snap" off and on crisply.

#9 ·
You betcha: Yank And Retain Function. After a safety is installed, with unloaded gun, of course, one applies the safety and pulls the trigger, hard. Then, drop the safety and slowly pull back on the hammer, assuming the hammer did not fall when you snicked off the safety. If you hear a click, or if the hammer fell when the safety was pulled, it failed YARF, because too much steel was filed off the sear engagement lug of the safety when it was installed. Any good 1911 smith knows about YARF. It can often be remedied by judicious peening of the lug, but sometimes not. I recently worked on a brand new Para-Ord 9mm that failed YARF, right out of the box, so it's not limited to monkeyed-with guns.

#10 ·
Pardon the incoming noob question here but what about a holster with a thumb snap? I see a lot of thumb snaps that will block the hammer from dropping. Granted, once it's drawn the thumb safety may be switched to "fire" but isn't that what you normally want anyway?

#11 ·
If you don't actually need an ambidextrous safety then get rid of it. It's a fairly painless swap out of a part. A local gunsmith can do it for the price of the new safety plus a few bucks in labor.

#12 ·
I carry a 1911 left handed ambi safety,my Colt has never got bumped off,A lot depends on how the detent pin engages the safety,if it has very little resistance it can get bumped off easier than if there is a "pocket" the detent sits in which requires a positive force to snick it off

#16 ·
Your tools are the best of everything you have. Use your tools wisely and they'll never let you down.

#18 ·
I carry a S&W 1911 w/ambi-safety on and off duty, never had any issues with the safety

#19 ·
I have carried 1911's for years with ambi safeties and never had an issue but anything can happen I guess. Even if the safety is disengaged the pistol will not fire due to the grip safety.
The use of a quality holster will lessen a lot of concerns. As stated the swap out is not a major deal and if you have a friend with a 1911 he may want to swap safeties with you just make sure the part is fitted correctly.

#20 ·
Being a lefty and carrying 1911's the problem has presented itself on occasion. My remedy is a little dremel work on the left safety lever and no more problem.

#23 ·
I'm a lefty and never had a problem with my ambi 1911 safety. I mostly use Muscheke safeties on my 1911s and carry in a good (ok great for 18 years old) Brommeland IWB. I charge about $40 or $50 depending on the safety part the customer selects. Properly fitted it should take a bit to disengage the safety.

And only a WECSOG gunsmith doesn't know about YARF.

#24 ·
I don't have any ambi-safety guns. I could certianly see where there could be some advantages and disadvantages. If you aquire a strong side injury an ambi-safety will become more attractive. Practice weak side drawing/shooting from strong side carry before discrediting ambi-safety.

#25 ·
My CCW is also a Kimber Ultra carry and I wear it in a Crossbreed minituck and have never had my safety switch move on me. I recomend looking into a different holster as well as considering having the safety removed on the outisde as others here have suggested. If its happened to you twice though I would talk to a gunsmith today.

#26 ·
I carry a 1911 daily. I am also a left handed shooter - I need the ambi-safety. I normally carry in a horizontal shoulder holster and I have never had a situation where the safety was switched to "off." It has switched off in a vertical shoulder holster, however. I no longer (or very, very seldom) carry vertically anymore.

#27 ·
All of my 1911s have ambi safety's. My IWB holster has a detent in the leather where the engaged safety sits and retains it in the safe position. I can also check the ambi safety status with a quick discreet feel. :smile:

#29 ·
I carry a PT1911 w/ambidextrous safety. It's never been a problem. I carry in a leather IWB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.