Looking lefty or ambedextrious guns.

This is a discussion on Looking lefty or ambedextrious guns. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, I am a lefty and am looking for guns for people like me. I don't want to go to the shop without having ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking lefty or ambedextrious guns.

Hello everyone,

I am a lefty and am looking for guns for people like me. I don't want to go to the shop without having any knowledge and just going by what the salesman says. Any suggestions?

Well, since I just bought one today, I'll suggest a Smith & Wesson M&P. My M&P9c has no manual safety, an ambidextrious magazine drop, and an ambidextrious slide release.

I'm a lefty due to an Injury that caused partial paralysis to my right hand,A 1911 with Ambi-safety is a good one,I can hit all the controls,S&W M&P have ambi controls,Glocks and SA XD pistols are good,I usually use the slingshot method to chamber a round from slidelock anyways,The Bersa thunder 9 has Ambi controls IIRC.Usually the thing you need to check is if the gun has a thumb safety can it be operated shooting left handed,the slide release is a mute point if you grasp the slide and pull back to release with your off hand,next is mag release can you operate it quickly and effectively with your left hand,some of them can be changed and some like the XD are operated from either side
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I agree with all of the above. I would add the Sig line also. You simply work the controls with your finger instead of your thumb.

My opinion of lefty or ambidextrous controls has evolved to the point where I only really care about the position of the external safety (if any). I require that to be ambidextrous. Anything else I can work around. In fact, a mag release on the left side of the gun works faster and easier for me than on the right side. There are advantages to everything, I guess.

Good luck with your search!
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I agree with all of the above. I would add the Sig line also. You simply work the controls with your finger instead of your thumb.

My opinion of lefty or ambidextrous controls has evolved to the point where I only really care about the position of the external safety (if any). I require that to be ambidextrous. Anything else I can work around. In fact, a mag release on the left side of the gun works faster and easier for me than on the right side. There are advantages to everything, I guess.

Good luck with your search!
    I agree, I find I can operate teh controls just fine LH'ed with most any pistol (other than a external safety).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Springfield XDs have ambi mag release, no safety lever (there is one model with safety lever but most do not have them). I'm not a lefty but I think this would be a good handgun for you (XD 45 compact)

Administrator
    Here is one for you.
    A Vintage Randall True Left Hand Stainless 1911.

Check out the photo.

What do you see and what do you not see?

If you want to see the actual Gunbroker auction ~ Search Gunbroker.com for "Randall Left"

Warning: The asking price on this MINTY one is Five Grand.
    They ARE a decent investment IF you can snatch one up at a reasonable price...so if you ever happen across one for less than 2 Grand...grab it.

I HAVE seen then pop up sporadically cheaper than this one.
    Keep in mind that you also need Randall - Left Hand Pistol Magazines & they can get pricy.
    The Lefty Mags have the Mag Catch Slot on the opposite side of the magazine.

VIP Member
    I will make this easy, I am a lefty and out all my firearms the M&P's are the easiest by far being a lefty. It does not hurt that they are fantastic as well!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Thanks everyone! What I want to do is go back to the gun shop and try a whole bunch of different guns to see what I'm comfortable with.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The Generation 4 Glocks have reversable mag releases that can be set up for either right or left hand. Many lefties find pushing the mag release with the index finger works as well. Glocks have no external safety in the triditional sense.

Many handguns out there to choose from. Take your time.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Here is one for you.
    A Vintage Randall True Left Hand Stainless 1911.

Check out the photo.

What do you see and what do you not see?

If you want to see the actual Gunbroker auction ~ Search Gunbroker.com for "Randall Left"

Warning: The asking price on this MINTY one is Five Grand.
    They ARE a decent investment IF you can snatch one up at a reasonable price...so if you ever happen across one for less than 2 Grand...grab it.

I HAVE seen then pop up sporadically cheaper than this one.
    Keep in mind that you also need Randall - Left Hand Pistol Magazines & they can get pricy.
    The Lefty Mags have the Mag Catch Slot on the opposite side of the magazine.

Yep, there is one, and the price is not very low; the starting bid is $5,999.00 . I am not sure that I would like to spend that kind of money on one
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=186133778
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Administrator
    Since everything these days is CNC machining (Computer Numeric Controlled) I don't know WHY some 1911 maker does not crank out a newer LH 1911 and put it out there as a Limited Edition at a reasonable price.

CNC would make it a fairly uncomplicated operation.

Charter Arms makes a true left handed revolver called the "Under Cover Southpaw".

It lacks some of the refinements of a Smith & Wesson, but if you ever need a BUG, it might be worth looking at.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

AzB
    FNH FNP 45 and FNX 9 and 40 are all completely ambidextrous, and some dang fine pistols.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I'm a lefty myself, and I do just fine with my Glock 23. I can hit the magazine release with the middle finger of my left hand, and I hit the slide release with the middle finger of my right hand by reaching up for it, once that hand is back in it's support position.

That said, I have been considering a more "lefty friendly" pistol of late. I'm looking for a pistol with an ambidextrous slide release, an ambidextrous (or reversible) magazine release and an ambidextrous (or reversible) safety, if it has a safety. In addition to the guns already mentioned above, I've found the following that have these features:

FNH FNX-9, FNX-40 and FNP-45

HK P30, HK45, HK45 Compact, P2000, and P2000 SK

So those might be worth looking at as well. I suppose a truly "lefty friendly" gun would eject out the left side of the frame. But I'm not aware of any such pistol that's being manufactured, and I've never had a problem with the direction the brass is ejected anyway.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links