New EDC: M&P9c

This is a discussion on New EDC: M&P9c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I bit the bullet last week and spent the money on a used M&P9c. I grew up around firearms, hunting my whole life; however, ...

Thread: New EDC: M&P9c

New EDC: M&P9c

Well, I bit the bullet last week and spent the money on a used M&P9c.

I grew up around firearms, hunting my whole life; however, when it came to semi-auto SD pistols, I had virtually no experience (outside of 50 rounds through a friends gun here and there). So, when I got my CWP a while back, I knew I wasn't sure what I wanted and also knew that I would probably end up wanting something different once I got some experience with it. With that in mind, I purchased a Ruger P95 because it was economical, reliable, and mid-sized.

The P95 was, and still is, a great gun. It has been very reliable and I intend on keeping it and using it still, especially when I may have to leave it in the truck. However, living in South Florida, it's hot and I'm usually not wearing clothing conducive to effecitively concealing a gun of it's size. Furthermore, I decided I wanted a DAO, striker fired pistol without a safety instead of a DA/SA with a safety.

With this is in mind, I started researching what my options were. I've had the opportunity to shoot some Glocks and knew they just weren't for me. I like everything about them EXCEPT the way they feel and shoot. I shot just 10 rounds through a G22 once and my hand felt uncomfortable (borderline hurt) afterwards. So, I narrowed my search down to a Springfield XD9c and a Smith & Wesson M&P9c.

I've always been a Smith & Wesson fan - I grew up shooting their revolvers and was introduced to SD guns on a 6906. So, the M&P was a natural candidate. I also love Springfield 1911's and know them to be a reputable SD firearm manufacturer. Through my research, I came across the X&D and thought it was a very neat concept - I really liked the grip safety idea in a DAO striker fired pistol. With my two candidates established, I made a range trip.

Fortunately, at the range I frequent, range time and rentals are free on Friday's. Even better, they have both a M&P9c and an X&D9c available for rent. I rented and put 50 rounds through each. The results were:

Accuracy: While I'll hit the paper out to 25 yards on every shot, I'm a crappy shot with a semi-auto pistol. With that said, my accuracy for both pistols was pretty similar, but, it wasn't that big of a consideration either since I wasn't counting on 1" groups at 15 yards with either.

Reliability: As expected, neither gun so much as hiccuped; and, I doubt these guns are very well taken care of seeing as they are rentals.

Aesthetics: It's a concealed carry gun - who cares!

Overall Feel: The M&P felt 'snappier' to me, in all honesty - the trigger and the recoil. However, the X&D felt somewhat 'mushy' - the trigger and the recoil just felt plain odd. However, the M&P grip was much more comfortable to me - as the XD felt a little wider - and in general, the M&P just felt better to me.

So, I went with my gut and purchased an M&P9c from a member on the forum here. I received the gun today and put 100 rounds through it and couldn't be happier. It goes bang everytime I pull the trigger, I shoot it more accurately than my P95, it feels great in my hands despite being a small gun and me having larger hands, and it conceals great and feels almost unnoticeable after lugging around my P95.

I'm a happy camper!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I liked the one my wife had for a few weeks.

Much better trigger for me than a Glock, but lacked the sex appeal of a CZ.

I'm glad to see the M&P gaining ground in the LE market.

I would have liked to put some Double Tap

Or FTX thru the M&PC before she decided to sell it.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

GM
    Congrats on the M&P. Glad that you enjoy it
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Nice choice. I've really liked all the M&P's I've tried. Very good ergonomics, and they seem highly reliable. Some of the shooters I go out with have them and on range days I've never seen one FTF or FTE.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    You just can go wrong with the M&P9c that is my EDC and I love the little bugger! It's like a no brainer pick, M&P's and Glock's just give you excellent reliability/firepower/weight/durability. Now the summer is winding down I will have to carry the the bigger brother M&P9 OWB just because I can!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

kpw
    Great choice. I'm impressed by them. My daughter has about 1400 trouble free rounds through hers now. The trigger has smoothed up quite a bit. It's accurate and she shoots it well.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Nice firearm.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

Great choice, that is what I got for the wife, and I have the mid-size.45. Great guns, I don't think you will regret your new purchase.

Thus far, I couldn't be happier with it! It hides so well in an IWB that even a 'trained' eye couldn't find it on me most of the time.

Links