New Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on New Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the GS in Roanoke, VA today and picked up a stainless Ruger LCP for $319. 50 rounds of .380 ammo (9mm Browning Court) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger LCP

New Ruger LCP

Went to the GS in Roanoke, VA today and picked up a stainless Ruger LCP for $319. 50 rounds of .380 ammo (9mm Browning Court) (never heard of this before), but it was $19.99 and the guy cut it down $2 with the purchase of the LCP to $17.99 (that's a good price for .380 ammo). Out the door $360.21

That's lower than the LCP usually goes for at the LGS. This was the going rate for stainless LCP's at the GS because my wife and I walked around and checked the price throughout the floor. LGS price is usually $379.

We got back home, grabbed our ear/eye protection and took it to the range. Put 43 of the 50 rounds through it without a single malfunction.

The wife and I were "both" very surprised with how this gun shoots. I've owned two other .380's in the past. One was a Walther PPK/s and the other was a Bersa Thunder .380. Both of those had quite a snap to them and the Bersa stung the web of your hand. The Ruger LCP, well, no sting in the hand, and it didn't recoil near as much as I thought it would.

The trigger has quite a long pull to it and takes some getting used to. My first 7 rounds went way low and to the left. All I can say is, "trigger control". You do your part and the gun will do it's.

On the down side... my only concern, is the magazine follower seems to not run smoothly in the magazine. It kinda sticks...or resists being pushed down, especially loading the first round into it.

Has anyone else with an LCP experienced a problem similar with their magazine?
    I'm curious if this is normal until it gets a hundred or so rounds through it, or if I got a bad magazine.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the LCP One of my favorite pistols Just give the magazine some time, it's probably just a little bit stiff right out of the box.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Nice weapon congrats. Mine is a little sticky to, it/should get better after you run some rounds threw it.

Cool, 10-4 on the little bit sticky out of the box and should loosen up after some rounds. Just what I figured. Just never had one do that before. They made those magazines with very little extra room.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Take those mags apart and clean them. They come with a sticky goo in them from the factory.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Take those mags apart and clean them. They come with a sticky goo in them from the factory.
    Now why didn't I think of that, thanks I never noticed it until checking it tonight, so thank you both

I really like those little LCP's. My wife and I each have one to use as BUG's. Great little shooters, and accurate! You'll really appreciate it's attributes the longer you have it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Good little gun....no problems from ours. My wife and daughter carry one. Congrats
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Thanks, that did the trick. Much better.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

GM
    Congrats on the LCP. Enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    The wife and I were "both" very surprised with how this gun shoots. I've owned two other .380's in the past. One was a Walther PPK/s and the other was a Bersa Thunder .380. Both of those had quite a snap to them and the Bersa stung the web of your hand. The Ruger LCP, well, no sting in the hand, and it didn't recoil near as much as I thought it would.
    That's primarily because the other guns you mention are blowback operated, with more felt recoil, and the LCP is a locked breech design.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Congrats on the LCP. Small enough to go with you everywhere!

Glad to help! Always a good idea to clean/lube a new gun (including the mags) before firing it the first time.

A mag might need to "break in" to make loading the last round easier, but not the first one. That was the giveaway that something else was up.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; August 22nd, 2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: more info
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Have you decided what defense ammo you will use?

I see you have a PM9, me too, I am trying to carry the PM9 in the pocket like my LCP, there is a difference. I like the LCP, not so fond of the 380 round. I am looking at the Buffalo Bore standard pressure either fMJFN or lead FN (FN flat nose). Any thoughts or advice always helps.

Glad to help! Always a good idea to clean/lube a new gun (including the mags) before firing it the first time.

A mag might need to "break in" to make loading the last round easier, but not the first one. That was the giveaway that something else was up.
    Yeah, I cleaned the gun right before we took it out to shoot, but didn't clean the magazine. Once you mentioned cleaning it, I cleaned it and it is 100% better now.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links