Bulldog .44

This is a discussion on Bulldog .44 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have a charter arms bulldog .44 spl? I have been eyeing this one for a while and would like some feedback. I've Never owned ...

Thread: Bulldog .44

Bulldog .44

Anyone have a charter arms bulldog .44 spl?

I have been eyeing this one for a while and would like some feedback. I've Never owned or shot anything by charter arms so I'm clueless to the company and the .44 spl caliber. Shed some light?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

Charter Arms is a good company that flies under the radar like Taurus did for years. They along with Taurus make good value guns and every once and awhile you will pick up a gem from their vast amount of products. The Bulldog is one of them. For Taurus the PT99 Beretta 92 clone is another. If you wan't it. Buy it, you will not be sorry you did.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Well I have had one for many many years(over 25 years anyway).It has always worked.The cylinder latch did get a little stiff and the cylider rod had to be tightened a couple times(By me finger turned).It will be the easyest way to carry a 44 concealed.Mine cost me less than $200 and I bet I could still sell it for that.
    Last edited by TWO GUNS; August 22nd, 2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: extra word
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I checked one out at the shop seems to be a decent gun for the price but .44 special is expensive unless you reload figure $35-40 per 50 rds. I have a newer charter .38 off duty snub, while its not exactly a s&w you can't beat it for $300.

so how is the .44 spl round? compared to a .357?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

VIP Member
    Have used and carried a .44 specials for a long time over the years. Great caliber, as far as being better than something else goes back to the big slow bullet vs. the light fast bullet.
    The Bulldogs themselves are neat little guns for the money and with the 246 gr RNL make a good little shooter. With SD loads recoil can be stout but for a concealable big bore cant beat them.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

As far as the actual gun goes, I've never used a charter arms gun, but I've never read a bad review from anyone who has. The .44 special is something I do have though, in that I can shoot them through my S&W 29. Comparing it with a .357 magnum is definitely not even close. Probably a better comparison is with a .45 auto, with the .45 being more powerful. I would be confident in the .44 special with that in mind. It's soft and pleasant to shoot as long as the gun has a reasonable amount of weight. As someone else mentioned, it is an expensive round though. I like the Winchester Super X 200 grain personal protection loads in it. Heck, they were almost the same price as standard 246 gr LRN from Remington, and certainly cleaner! If you're interested I think you should go for it. I've kind of had a bulldog in the back of my mind too.

I carry one from time to time when I am out loafing around in the woods. Mine is in stainless steel and with a spurless hammer. I like the .44 Special, in fact it is my favorite revolver cartridge. However the cost of ammunition is outrageous, you will either have to reload your own or find someone who does to keep the this roscoe well fed. All in all, while not as nicely finished as say a S&W revolver, it will do the job it was intended to do and that is to save your hide.
    God bless our troops!

Both my husband and I have had a Charter 44spl for quite a while. We really like the gun and round. It shoots fine out of this gun, I'd say less than some 357 magnums, only a little bit more than say, a 357 fired out of a SP101. It isn't a sharp recoil especially in the Bulldog. Get one, you'll like it!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Links