Colt "Dick" Special

Colt "Dick" Special

This is a discussion on Colt "Dick" Special within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found a mint Detective Special. The track line is nonexistent on the cylinder and I can find no evidence it has ever been fired. ...

Colt "Dick" Special

I found a mint Detective Special. The track line is nonexistent on the cylinder and I can find no evidence it has ever been fired. There is a slight wear mark on each side of the barrel at the muzzle where it was obviously shoved into a cheap holster some where along the line but zero marks on the cylinder and frame. It has the original box and factory paper work.
    They are asking $800.00 for the gun which with sales tax and check fee puts me $880.00 out the door. Seems high but I have wanted one of these for along time and the ones I found prior to this were in good mechanical condition but about 75-80% on the finish (quite a bit of holster wear) and they were in the $500.00 range.

Is it worth this kind of money??? Any and all comments welcome.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

It may be a bit high, but if I wanted it, it would be mine. Colts will continue to hold or increese in value, in my opinion.....
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

VIP Member
    Unfortunately, the Dick Special has been long discontinued and it's a sellers market for a primo specimen.

Is it worth it? That's up to you.

I tried to put in a link to Gunbroker, but it doesn't seem to work. Just go to www.gunbroker.com and do a search. There are lots out there of various vintages and conditions.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

A gun or anything else for that matter is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That said I have been looking for a quality Dick Special for several years now. Found one but my captain does not want to sell it. If I offered him $800 I think he might. That seems to be a bit steep but then again how bad do you want one.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Thanks for the replies! You all are right I just have to decide how bad I want it. He told me he had two Diamond Backs last year that he sold as NIB for $1,200.00 so I guess the Colt's are up there.
    Who is John Galt?

Paid 750 for my unfired 1962 3 years ago so I don't think it is that far off.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    If its a series 3 (1973 to 1986) that is a bit high IMO even in mint condition but the price willl only continue to go up. A first series which ran from 1927-1946 or a second series 1947-1972 in unfired condtion would certainly command that price or much more. These are the unshrouded barrel Dick specials.

I purchased this one 2 years ago for $450 in a private transaction. I offered and he accepted and the deal was in my favor IMO.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    If its a series 3 (1973 to 1986) that is a bit high IMO even in mint condition but the price willl only continue to go up. A first series which ran from 1927-1946 or a second series 1947-1972 in unfired condtion would certainly command that price or much more. These are the unshrouded barrel Dick specials.

I purchased this one 2 years ago for $450 in a private transaction. I offered and he accepted and the deal was in my favor IMO.
    This is a shrouded model and he said the pistol was "about" 30 years old making it a 1980 or there about. Looks exactly like the one you have pictured.
    Thanks for the info.
    Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    If you have, or can get, the serial number, go to www.proofhouse.com and you can tell exactly when it was made.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    For $800 it should look (and stay looking) unfired and have the box and papers.

If you plan to carry and shoot it that price is CRAZY
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Links