New Sights for Old Eyes

This is a discussion on New Sights for Old Eyes within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have standard factory sites on my Glock 19. I think my 65 year old eyes, strange the rest of me seems to be 65 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sights for Old Eyes

New Sights for Old Eyes

I have standard factory sites on my Glock 19. I think my 65 year old eyes, strange the rest of me seems to be 65 as well, would see the front sight better with a different sight set up. Wider rear notch, anyone know the width of the factor rear and front sights, and something that will stand out better in the front especially for indoor range with poor light. Don't know if I would be better off with XS Big Dot(a subject I previously posted) which will provide very fast sight pic but concerned about precision at 25 yards for indoor games, or something like the Ameriglo with a .180 rear black sight and .140 front of either painted orange or a round orange paint and Tritium also .140 wide. Could use an Ameriglo .10 FO front sight also with the wide rear. Don't know if a small FO front would be harder to pick up even if it is bright. Also don't know if the poor light at the range FO would be beneficial. Not unusual to be standing in semi dark and shooting at a target that may be under a light or semi dark as well. Then there are sights with rear notch of .140-.150 with reasonably narrow front sight like 10-8 Performance with front sight of 12.5 with brass bead. Or Warren tactical sights. I don't like "three dots" and probably not interested in rear night sights. Tritium front sight is a consideration. The 19 is my CCW, HD, range gun. I don't want the sights to hold me back from shooting at 25 yards playing "games". The TruGlo TFO,back to three dots, sounds great as the dots are both FO and Tritium, but I've read that some shooters have had problems with the tubes falling out or getting damaged. Obviously trying different sights is the answer, but that isn't going to happen where I live and shoot. Decisions, Decisions But I went to Walgreens, trampled a few teenage girls and got some great nail polish. They are about to get the Holloween glow in the dark polish

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    My dad had Big Dots on his G30 and liked them well enough. His new G26 will have Novak's plain black wide notch rear and a tritium front. He likes a black rear sight these days and the wider notch. He's 67 now.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

My eyes are pretty old, too. I have found the Trijicons to work pretty well for dim light and darkness, AND for the daytime, also.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have Warren Tacticals. I've been very pleased with them, but I'm very curious about the 10-8 sights. I'm not certain of this, but I think the Warrens have a wider notch in the rear sight.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My eyes aren't quite as old as yours, but I, too, have trouble seeing any white sights as they disappear into most backgrounds.

You might try this before investing big bucks in nightsights you might not like:

I picked up a $4 bottle of DayGlo-Orange model paint and, with a very fine paint brush, painted over the white on front and rear sights of my G30. It works surprisingly well, even in dim conditions. At the point I can't see the sights, I can't see the target either. I've had to touch up the sights once in the last year and the bottle will last forever at that rate.

If it doesn't work for you, then you're probably changing sights to something else anyhow and you're out $4.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am used to using Heinie Straight 8's or Novak's, but buying these polymer guns has got me buying sights separately from the gun. For the Glock 17, I bought the TruGlo standard tritium w/ white outlines and then a TruGlo TFO (tritium / Fiber Optic) since these are on my Sig 229 and are very, very fast and bright. Since the front sight is higher than others, I couldn't run Warren tactical rears, so I needed something from TruGlo, but didn't want the fiber optic / tritium in the rear since they're so bright.

Now, I've heard mixed reviews about these, so I'm giving them a chance on a gun I shoot a lot. I ordered a set of Warren Tactical for the M&P9. I went with the tritium front and single subdued yellow tritium rear. The ones I've used have been very fast and easy to see. I can't stand the white dot sights that come on many of these guns.

I have a feeling I'll be going to the Warrens for the Glock(s) too. Not much beats the TFO front though for brightness (day or night and very bright at dusk and dawn as well) and recovery speed, but I've come close with Warrens. The Big Dots are also a nice idea and really shine at close ranges for first shot speed and split times. Transitions are good too in my experience, but again I like the Warrens. Not sure exactly what is so much better about them for me, but there's something. My buddy put the Big Dots on his M&P45 and they're nice and fast, but something I don't like about them, just can't put my finger on it.....it might be that they look a little gimmicky, but that's just what I think about how they look on the gun - same for the big TFO's!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I have 58 yr old eyes This is what I have on my G33

Front - Glock steel Tritium Dot

Rear - Glock steel white outline

Work fine for me.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    One word. Laser. Let the bashing begin.

XS big dots. You will pick up the front sight fast in the daylight with the added benefit of tritium for when it's dark. At 46 my eyes aren't quite what they were twenty years ago and the XS big dots work great for me.

I love the XS Big Dot sights and have NO problem out to 25 yards. They will be on every handgun I own eventually.

If the nail polish doesn't work out for you, check into a set of HiViz or Williams Fire sights. These are fiber optic sights and work great.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

thanks for the replies. I don't need to buy more guns merely pursue the quest for "the perfect sight"!-I've done the same thing with bicycle wheel sets which can get very expensive. Nothing like being obcessive compulsive

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I have 58 yr old eyes This is what I have on my G33

Front - Glock steel Tritium Dot

Rear - Glock steel white outline

Work fine for me.

This is just an idea so take it for what it's worth, Those sights IMO are really cool, in fact, all my guns which came with two dots on the rear sight were up graded to this square U shape which helped me refine my target acquisition, I think though, the white part can be enhanced further.
    If the white part is not luminescent, I would try this,
    paste on the rear sight a piece of glow-on self adhesive, same size and proportion, then apply colorless nail polish on and around the self adhesive, on the front leaf, apply glow-on phosphorescent around the tritium capsule,
    this way we would have glow in the dark properties on the white, plus the tritium, IMO a dynamic duo.
    By the way, I'd use an xacto knife #11 and a ruler for the task of cutting and pasting the self adhesive, the wooden applicator is enough to handle the pigment
    Check our glow-on add on the first page of this forum on the right hand side, here a pic of the glow-on on a PF9
    Mind you though, it glows in the day, IF you walk from lets say from the outside into a room, home, under a tree, a shady area etc. because daylight is so strong, but basically is glow in the dark, so it'll glow without help in the early hours of the morning, other than that, for a quick boost, three seconds with a small led flashlight works great, good luck

Live long, live free, Gatopardo

Quote Originally Posted by Cop 1 View Post
    I love the XS Big Dot sights and have NO problem out to 25 yards. They will be on every handgun I own eventually.

Same here! Though I do well up to 20 yards.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

I am a type I diabetic so I know about poor eye sight. I have used most of the major night sights and by far the best I have used are TFO's. I didn't see where you live but if you are close you are welcome to come by and see them. If you Google TFO Night Sights I am sure you will find plenty of photos.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links