Let's see your rust buckets

This is a discussion on Let's see your rust buckets within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We always post our beautiful, showcase handguns...maybe with some holster wear. Lets see some of the less than perfect pieces...... Rust, etc........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's see your rust buckets

We always post our beautiful, showcase handguns...maybe with some holster wear. Lets see some of the less than perfect pieces...... Rust, etc.....

New frontier 22 mag it was my grandfathers100628_233831.jpg

Sure.

I can do that.

How "low" do you want to go...see that is?

Smith & Wesson Military & Police. This predecessor to the Model 10 dates from 1904 and is chambered for .38 Special. Despite the appearance it is tight, yet smooth and has a bright bore.

This tired old Colt Army Special in .38 Special was produced in 1915 and abused and neglected at some point in its life. Internels were even worse than its exterior surfaces.

The tired old Colt these days after I rehab'ed it mechanically and gave it a set of improperly late walnut grips as a replacement for the broken and electrical taped originals. It is a decent old shooter.

Semi-Auto? How about a Helfricht Model 3 .25 ACP? German made, between 1920 and 1929 in small numbers, it is an oddity that cost me a thousand primers at a local show last year. Was it worth it?

This ought to be a fun thread.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Those might be tough to beat.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Surely there are more rust buckets out there in Defensive Carry Forumland than this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member

A piece of history

Bore and chamber are shot out but I am going to send it to be relined.

IMG_0437.jpgIMG_0436.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Surely there are more rust buckets out there in Defensive Carry Forumland than this.
    Sorry. I don't have any "rust buckets." I've got a couple of old Colts that have worked hard and show some wear, but are more vetran war horses who can still answer the bell when called.

1950 Colt Official Police. Battle scared, but ready.

Colt Pocket Positive in 32 S&W long. Built in 1912, I doubt it's been fired much. It's probably spent most of it's life in a pocket, or a purse, or maybe a cash register drawer. It still locks up and shoots like new. Note the MOP grips have a little piece broke out of the bottom.

And there is one more. A Ruger Single-Six from 1958. Judging from the blue, I'd say it's ridden a few miles in a holster...for some reason I picture a trapline being involved. The grips are homemade and don't fit real well, but do add some character. Enough that I've decided not to replace them.

For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    Sorry. I don't have any "rust buckets." I've got a couple of old Colts that have worked hard and show some wear, but are more vetran war horses who can still answer the bell when called.

1950 Colt Official Police. Battle scared, but ready.

Colt Pocket Positive in 32 S&W long. Built in 1912, I doubt it's been fired much. It's probably spent most of it's life in a pocket, or a purse, or maybe a cash register drawer. It still locks up and shoots like new. Note the MOP grips have a little piece broke out of the bottom.

And there is one more. A Ruger Single-Six from 1958. Judging from the blue, I'd say it's ridden a few miles in a holster...for some reason I picture a trapline being involved. The grips are homemade and don't fit real well, but do add some character. Enough that I've decided not to replace them.

Am I seeing things or is there a body count on the barrel of the 1950 Colt? LOL.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

More old guns please !
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

An old Colt 1908....and yes, that is a cruddy spray-on finish over the heavy pitting on the slide.

I didn't do it.

I removed the black paint with a fine wire brush.....and replaced the tacky pimp-grips.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    The Thin Man, I think thats one of the more interesting pieces I have ever seen, I love old Colts
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    The Thin Man, I think thats one of the more interesting pieces I have ever seen, I love old Colts
    Here is the after the finish was removed and the grips replaced. Still rough, but classier.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Thin Man View Post
    Here is the after the finish was removed and the grips replaced. Still rough, but classier.
    A definite improvement!!! Nice piece.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Am I seeing things or is there a body count on the barrel of the 1950 Colt? LOL.
    I don't know what caused those, but they match on the other side. I suspect the gun got caught in something or other along the way. I can't imagine what, but they just look like scratches. Maybe on one of those old police cruisers when cars were all metal. Actually looking at the picture again, and thinking about it, I wonder if maybe they were caused by the firing ports on an armored car. (Most likely in a practice situation.)

However if you look closely at the grip you can see where someone rested his arm on the gun. Over the years the grip has worn smooth on just the right side. The left side looks pretty much new.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    I don't know what caused those, but they match on the other side. I suspect the gun got caught in something or other along the way. I can't imagine what, but they just look like scratches. Maybe on one of those old police cruisers when cars were all metal. Actually looking at the picture again, and thinking about it, I wonder if maybe they were caused by the firing ports on an armored car. (Most likely in a practice situation.)

However if you look closely at the grip you can see where someone rested his arm on the gun. Over the years the grip has worn smooth on just the right side. The left side looks pretty much new.
    Interesting. Yes, many times police officers will rest their arms or hands (non threatening) on their sidearms. When I am passing through large crowds in uniform, I will rest either my forearm or the palm of my hand on the back of the slide to discourage any possible grabs. Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic. Very cool pics.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links