Pocket carrying a Mag

This is a discussion on Pocket carrying a Mag within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The word is watch what pocket it is in. I lost a mag to my pt111 Friday out of a pliers type pocket in my ...

Thread: Pocket carrying a Mag

PM [OP]

Pocket carrying a Mag

The word is watch what pocket it is in. I lost a mag to my pt111 Friday out of a pliers type pocket in my cargo pants. Have NO idea where or when. Only that it was in Joplin, Carthage or some point inbetween. I am pretty sure I could not have dropped it on a hard surface or I would have heard it excape so that leave a carpeted surface.

$30.00 plus shipping and the price of 12 Rounds of HP ammo lesson.

ME to ME!!

2. Remove Ads

Unhappy

The chances are you were sitting down unless you were running on a soft surface. You sure you checked your vehicle well? Between the seats ect.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Seems pretty unlikely to just have fallen out of your pocket while walking around. Double check under the car seat.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Definitely check you car seat...even on a carpeted surface it would have made a dull "thunk", that heavy.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

PM [OP]
    Well Old School and others; the good news is the Mag was found (like 10 mintues after the op) and I have all the mags I own safely in the safe. It was in a bag I had carried while camping and had used to bring in my carry gun and my spare; I guess I had left it there. Meaning the Mag I had carried with me all day friday that I found when I loaded up this a.m. was for the other gun. This wouls have been bad news had I needed it Friday while out roaming the country side! SO; new warning! Check the mag you are carrying to make sure it is for the gun you are carrying!!!

The day we came home from camping involved finding one of our cat dead in the bathroom where we had left them. I took both guns out of the bag and put them in the safe. The spare mag for my spare carry gun was tucked in the uncle mikes soft holdster so it when into the safe and I guess fell out of the holdster at some point. The mag for my EDC was loose and I guess did not get grabbed in my mindset of losing a pet; upset 10 year old and upset wife. I had looked in the backpack that had some of my BOB stuff in it but not the wasit pack that I took to carry water bottles and binoculars. Had not thought about it till I walked by and the wondermont went through my brain of "I wonder if I stuck it in here at some point? NO! Oh well it does not hurt to look!!??" Move the binoc's and there it was!!

GM
    I agree, double check under the car seat.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Cool

Glad it all worked out for you !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I lost a loaded Kahr magazine out of my pocket while visiting a local movie theater....fell out of cargo shorts.

cj
    To everyone still suggesting where to look...HE ALREADY FOUND IT.

As for carrying the mag in a pocket, have you considered a leather or kydex carrier? It might let you clip (or friction-hold) it in place for less moving around, and would give you some better retention...so you're not left thinking that you might have dropped it.

And condolences on the loss of a pet.

PM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by webb3201 View Post
    I lost a loaded Kahr magazine out of my pocket while visiting a local movie theater....fell out of cargo shorts.
    That is what I thought had happened. I feel really dumb too. I had loked al over the house had done as two of the forum followers suggested and had torn the car apart; even thinking that well maybe it had not made it in from the car from the camping trip (that it had slide down where I had left the guns and mags when swimming) and I had had the Ruger mag Friday; to no good end. I then walked by the fanny pack and that little voice in my head said "You have not look in that fanny pack!" My next thought was "Yeah, right! It won't be there either!!" well I guess I have been wrong once in my life now!

PM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    As for carrying the mag in a pocket, have you considered a leather or kydex carrier? It might let you clip (or friction-hold) it in place for less moving around, and would give you some better retention...so you're not left thinking that you might have dropped it.
    cj, I have been thinking about a mag carrier of some sort; simply need to have the mag when I am at walmart. Due to job where I can not carry I care about one or two days a week; sometimes not at all. As can be seen from it taking a week for me to realize the pt111 mag had gone AWOL.

and thank you for the condolences.

Magazines don't belong in a pocket. To many things can get in them and foul them up. Keep your mags in a proper mag carrier on your belt and you won't have these problems. YMMV.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Glad you found it. I carry my spare G26 mag in a gerber holder. Fits like a glove. I carry my spare KT PF9 mag in a mini-leatherman holder. They fit on my belt and no one knows whats really inside.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

VIP Member
    My PT145 mag rides in a Bass Pro knife case like it was made just for it. This cost about $6 or so.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Links