Good options for Compact or Subcompact 45?

This is a discussion on Good options for Compact or Subcompact 45? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have some extra money coming to me from work soon so I have been dreaming up ways to spend it on guns... I want ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good options for Compact or Subcompact 45?

Good options for Compact or Subcompact 45?

I have some extra money coming to me from work soon so I have been dreaming up ways to spend it on guns...

I want to get a rifle, a small 9mm or 380 for summer pocket carry, and maybe upgrade my current EDC. I'm pretty much set on what I want rifle/pocket gun wise, but not sure what to look at for a new 45.

I have a Taurus PT145 now. It has been a great gun for me, but after getting a Glock 17 earlier this summer I have been mulling over getting a Glock 30. My other carry gun is a SP101. I prefer the simple DAO operation of the revolver but not the capacity and slower reload time that the PT145 gives me. Basically what I want options wise... DAO, no manual safety, about 10 rounds of 45ACP (doublestacked), all in a compact frame.

I came up with G30, XD45c, M&P Compact 45... Any other guns that fit the bill that you can think of? Just looking for some guns to keep an eye out for at the next gun show so that I can see how they feel in my hand and compare against each other. All three retail for within $50 of each other in my neck of the woods. The Glock is actually the cheapest and lightest of those three, and along with the fact that I really like the G17 it makes it to the top of my list.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    The Glock 30SF and XD45 compact are both good choices.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

If you're determined to stick with a double-stack .45, I think the Glock 30 would be your best bet.

However... Have you considered the Kahr PM-45? It is less capacity than you stated, at only 5+1, but considerably smaller and lighter than any of the others you listed.

JT
    Go with the Glock 30. In my opinion, it's the best compact .45, hands down. And since you already like and are familair with the G17, it would seem the natural choice.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I would check out the M&P's, great pistols.

i carried a PT145 for 2 years and then bought a G30sf and have never looked back. i still shoot the Taurus at the range but the Glock is the one i carry all the time (except when i am in a 1911 mood).

Quote Originally Posted by dstringf View Post
    ...My other carry gun is a SP101. I prefer the simple DAO operation of the revolver but not the capacity and slower reload time that the PT145 gives me. Basically what I want options wise... DAO, no manual safety, about 10 rounds of 45ACP (doublestacked), all in a compact frame.
    If you really want a true revolver like DOA trigger in a semi-auto, then what you want to add to your list is the Sig P250 45 Compact.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Love my Glock 30
    G30SF XD45Tactical

GM
    I think that the Glock and the M&P are good alternatives.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Thumbs up

I have to recommend the Glock 30 as well. I just finished a defensive pistol class a few weeks ago and used a Glock 27. It's basically the same form factor as the 30. I used magazine extentsions so I had a full 15 rounds. I'm actually planning on selling my 27 and getting a 30. This form factor of Glock handles great, and if you have big hands like me, the magazine extentsions help make it very comfortable. The one "gotcha" is when you are doing tactical and emergency magazine relaods, you have to be careful because the place where the magazine locks in is about the center of your palm...you have to be sure to keep it away from your palm a bit so your hand doesn't get pinched. The only other thing I wish I could change would be that I wish this form factor had the place under the barrel to mount the Glock light....but other than those two relatively small items, it has been great to shoot. Looking forward to picking up a 30 as soon as I can afford it

Glock 30 gets my vote Hard to find a better compact .45 unless you are willing to sacrifice some capacity, then I would suggest the Kahr PM45.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Out of your choices I would go with the G30.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

For a truly compact 45 acp I would go with either the Glock 36 or the Kahr p 45 or cw 45 maybe a pm 45. Revolver go for a 642 Smith or a Ruger lcr.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    If you really want a true revolver like DOA trigger in a semi-auto, then what you want to add to your list is the Sig P250 45 Compact.
    +1 on the Sig 250 Compact in 45. Another great choice is the Ruger P-345. I sold my Glock 30 (too fat to carry comfortably) in favor of the Ruger, and never regretted it.

I switch between the Ruger and Sig regularly.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Without a doubt a PM45. I carry mine 8 months of the year when it's too hot for my other 45's. Of my three kahrs, none has ever failed me in any way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links