Kel-Tec PF9

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec PF9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, first off I am sure, quite sure that this gun has been discussed on here before but, I did a search and I came ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec PF9

Kel-Tec PF9

OK, first off I am sure, quite sure that this gun has been discussed on here before but, I did a search and I came up with exactly nothing. So I am not sure that the search function is working 100% right now.

But, I am in the market for a thin CC gun and I have been looking at the PF9. I have only held one and that was over a year ago and I don't really recall if I liked it or not. But I do like the idea of the gun being less than an inch thick for IWB carry. The set up I am thinking about is a C-TAC Spartan with the PF9. Should just disappear in the waistband.

So, any PF9 owners out there, tell me about it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Thin and light but cheap and punishing to shoot. Had one but sold it to upgrade to a PM9
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    Thin and light but cheap and punishing to shoot.
    That about covers it ,Its not a range gun but it does make a good carry gun.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I agree, not a range gun. But you do need to practice with it and it is a good shooter when you do practice. It has a long, pretty hard trigger pull. I shot my sisters PF9 (approx. 70-75 rounds) and started getting pretty good. I am considering one at this time.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

I carried one for two years and loved it. Mine was 100% from the start and always functioned reliably. It has a LONG, heavy DA trigger pull. You have to practice to get used to it. It also kicks like a drunken mule. Again, you gotta practice to get your followups quick and on target. A Hogue slip-on grip helps this little banger a LOT. It's as accurate as you can expect a pocket gun with a 3" barrel to be. It's not a target pistol and you won't win IDPA with it, but it does what it's designed for. It'll shoot +p, although I wouldn't practice with it. Practice with standard loads and run a mag of your carry ammo through it at each session - to keep yourself aware of the extra flash/bang and recoil.

I can heartily recommend it.

Well, since posting this thread I did a good bit of research and read quite a few reviews. Most follow what has been said here. I also watched Nutnfancy has a very good video review up on the gun and I tend to trust him. He does some very good nonobjective reviews on guns and gear.

I would say so far, I am very interested in acquiring one and have read nothing that tends to steer me away from the gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It's good at what it was designed to do. With that said I hated mine, hated the trigger and I just could not shoot accurately with it. It's cheap but will get the job done, it also sucks to shoot.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    While I must agree that to become totally proficient with any tool, practice is necessary. That being said, my feeling is that range practice is mostly necessary to make shooting intuitive and almost a gut reaction. For example, on some of my" safe queens", I have to occasionally refer to the owners manual to refresh my memory as to the location and operation of the various safety's. The Kel-Tec is a small, light, inexpensive, reliable example of a "pull the trigger and it goes bang" defensive weapon. It is NOT a range gun! It is not terribly accurate at any great distance. Practice is futile and only results in a sore hand. Shoot a mag. every 6 mos. if you must and practice getting it out of your pocket or holster (unloaded of course) and carry it for the reason it was intended. I hate everything about mine except that it conceals better than any other gun I own. I can pocket carry it in shorts and a tee shirt in 90+ weather. Sure it has a long hard trigger pull. That's so if you accidentally drop your car keys in the same pocket, you don't shoot your balls off. Sure it hurts your hand when you shoot it, but it probably hurts the thing you shot a lot more. Don't look for one gun to be the be all end all. Look for the right gun for the right situation. My only concern is that it goes bang every time I pull the trigger...so far it has.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    The set up I am thinking about is a C-TAC Spartan with the PF9. Should just disappear in the waistband.
    I would go with a CrossBreed MiniTuck for IWB with this little gun.

My PF9 has had ftf issues since day one. I have read a lot of positive reviews but also plenty like my experience that if you get one that's a lemon you'll be kicking yourself.

Great little carry 9mm. I love mine, and it has been 100% reliable. As for being "punishing" to shoot... this is way overhyped. Is there more felt recoil than a fullsize 9mm, of course. Is the recoil unmanageable or painful, not at all.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I guess anyone can get a lemon but mine is one of the first made and has been flawless in its performance. Like others have said, its not a target pistol for the range. A friend had a minor problem with his and Kel Tec made it good in just over a week. He hasn't had any problems since.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Rammerjammer, put it in a box and ship it back to Kel Tec and they will fix it. Mine has been flawless but I had a problem with the trigger on my p3at and I sent that back and it came back fixed. I actually like the PF9 better than the P3AT as far as recoil but it does disappear in my pocket. Not quite as well as the P3AT but good enough for almost all situations. I still carry the P3AT when I need to use really deep cover. Both will shoot +P but not as a steady diet. I have also read that the PF9 does not like the really heavy slugs so all I have run through mine is 115 grain stuff and it loves that.

Mine has been great.
    1 malfunction that I blame on the crappy ammo I was shooting. 600ish rounds down the pipe at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I am in the market for a thin CC gun and I have been looking at the PF9.
    PF-9 here. Kel-Tec mini pistols aren't exactly the highest quality items out there. I've had two Kel-Tec's, with a PF-9 and a P3AT. Both have had their issues.

The P3AT .380ACP pistol had a part break, internally, which the factory was able to replace. (Sent it back to Kel-Tec and they repaired it.) It shoots fine. Since I've owned it, it has been one of the single most reliable pistols I've ever shot. Only a handful of jams, ever.

I currently use the PF-9. It's had occasional jams at the range, when I sent a barrage of different ammo choices through it. Though, it seems fairly reliable with certain ammo. Took awhile to break in, with lots of jams as I was testing various ammo in search of the "right" ammo for the gun. It certainly is slim and light. It's hard to beat, for those two features.

Be cautious about ammo choices, though. I have used all sorts of ammo with it, including DoubleTap's hot JHP 9mm (with Gold Dot bullets). It'll take it, though a slower FMJ for training should probably be the bulk of your shooting. Hot 9mm rounds can sting like a 13oz .357mag scandium revolver with aluminum grips, when you shoot it. Be aware of that. It's the one pistol I've ever thought might benefit by wearing shooting gloves at the range. "Punishing" to shoot? Yeah, that's a good way to describe it. Very sharp recoil, slapping straight into the bone of the palm of your hand.

Accuracy-wise, I like the PF-9 quite a bit. For me, the grip angle is good and it points fairly naturally. Point of impact is reliably near where I aim. It's not 1911 accurate, no, but it's not designed to be. Somewhat less accurate than a Glock 19 shot quickly, I'd say. But still, it's probably "handspan" breadth groups at 12-15yds when shot reasonably quickly; and much tighter groups when target shooting for score. Basically, that's good enough to get the job done.

If reliable and slim is sufficient, and weight is something you're prepared to be relaxed about, I would suggest you consider the Kahr K9, P9 or even the CW9 9mm pistols. The K9 is one heck of a pistol. The P9 is a polymer version of the K9. And the CW9 is a simpler, less-expensive variant. Not nearly so light as the Kel-Tec PF-9, no. And the PF-9 is hard to beat in terms of a slim 9mm. But the Kahrs are very good in this department. At 0.90" thick, they are about 0.2" slimmer than a Glock 19, for example.

With any carry pistol, I would highly recommend a gunsmith doing a "reliability package" type action job, for best assurance it's going to work as advertised. In my experience with both Kahrs and Kel-Tecs, reliability can be hit or miss. Lots of folks use them without issue. I think either can be fine, if you take steps to ensure it's reliable and up to the task of usage as a defensive tool. Up to you, of course.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links