Update: Back from the range

This is a discussion on Update: Back from the range within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my Loaded Champion back to the range yesterday. Fired another 100 rounds of FMJ. Then tried JHP's again. Same problem. Failed not feed, hanging ...

Thread: Update: Back from the range

VIP Member

Update: Back from the range

Took my Loaded Champion back to the range yesterday. Fired another 100 rounds of FMJ. Then tried JHP's again. Same problem. Failed not feed, hanging up it appears on the frame. With the bullet lodged and slide just out of the slide lock, the barrel still had play in it, so I'm assuming it is not hanging up on the feed ramp.

I had taken my Taurus 1911 with me. My Chip McCormick magazine and both SA factory magazines fed flawlessly in it.

Called SA this morning and explained the problem. They sent me FedEx shipping labels and a RMA number. Shipped it off this afternoon. According to the e-mail I received from them the lead time is 2-4 weeks.

Hopefully when it returns they will have it fixed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Hope they fix it for ya, my springfield GI has the same issue but I haven't felt like dealing with shipping it in for service yet.

the gun will be back in a week, SA got the best customer services

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoadedPipes View Post
    Hope they fix it for ya, my springfield GI has the same issue but I haven't felt like dealing with shipping it in for service yet.
    Actually it was quite painless. 5 minute call to CS. They e-mail you the RMA and FedEx shipping label. Just package it and ship it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

FWIW archer51, I had the exact same problem with my Lightweight Champion Bi-tone. I hit that spot on the frame with a dremel tool polishing pad & that solved the problem. I will look forward to your report when you get the pistol back & will be curious to hear how the problem was addressed by SA.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

GM
    It looks like that their customer support is very good. Hopefully they will fix it for you very soon.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Buy some Wilson Mags. I have had great success with these and so have many of my range buddies that carry 1911's. I am sure that will resolve your problem.

I had nose dive FTF in my 4" 1911. After trips all over the place, the cure was Cobra Mags (http://www.trippresearch.com). The higher insertion height and stronger spring prevent the nose dive. It's the only 8 round magazine my gun likes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Took my Loaded Champion back to the range yesterday. Fired another 100 rounds of FMJ. Then tried JHP's again. Same problem. Failed not feed, hanging up it appears on the frame. With the bullet lodged and slide just out of the slide lock, the barrel still had play in it, so I'm assuming it is not hanging up on the feed ramp.

I had taken my Taurus 1911 with me. My Chip McCormick magazine and both SA factory magazines fed flawlessly in it.

Called SA this morning and explained the problem. They sent me FedEx shipping labels and a RMA number. Shipped it off this afternoon. According to the e-mail I received from them the lead time is 2-4 weeks.

Hopefully when it returns they will have it fixed.
    Did you take my advice and try HP's that are closer in shape to ball ammo, or did you just try the same ammo. If you did try the same ammo, where you hoping for a miracle?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Best of luck with it. I'm sure Springfield will do right by you.

I sent my Champion Operator back to SA for a minor repair. They are great to deal with. You shouldn't have any problems.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikeguns View Post
    Buy some Wilson Mags. I have had great success with these and so have many of my range buddies that carry 1911's. I am sure that will resolve your problem.
    My Springfield Micro Compact would not work well with Wilson magazines, go figure. I used Kimber and it worked fine.

Links