Range report - My new Glock 26 and Taurus 709 Slim

This is a discussion on Range report - My new Glock 26 and Taurus 709 Slim within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These were both bought by me used, so I needed to take them out for some TLC. First time out for both... Glock 26 - ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range report - My new Glock 26 and Taurus 709 Slim

These were both bought by me used, so I needed to take them out for some TLC. First time out for both...

Glock 26 - Yep...no problems. Didn't expect any either.

Taurus 709 Slim - I actually expected to have issues, since this is a Taurus hate zone and have read some negatives about the gun and Taurus line in general.

What I experienced was nothing short of a gun that performed flawlessly. I put 200 rounds through it and stopped (per the manual - didn't have cleaner with me). A mix of Remington UMC 115gr, Hornady Critical Defense and something else that I have thrown the box out (range ammo FMJ). It took them all and spit them out just fine. No failures of any kind.

I do need to adjust the sights a bit, however, this is my wife's gun and she will need to shoot it before I adjust anything (she's on vacation).

It actually has a little more "pep" to it than I thought it would have, but it's a smaller gun...so I guess this is expected in a small package. That first round caught me by surprise, since I fired the Glock first.

I am extremely confident in this gun. More so, than when I was headed to the range.

Here is a side by side comparison of the two. Per request by VBVAGUY

Last edited by mlomeli; August 23rd, 2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Added pics per request

nice shooting , I getting ready to go to the range with my G26 . I got some Winchester t series 127 grain+p+ to test on

Glad to hear all went well. Yeah, the G26 is an awesome pistol, and here's to hoping the 709 runs straight and true for ya.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

GM
    Glad that you enjoy your new guns. Good luck.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Glad to hear all went well. Yeah, the G26 is an awesome pistol, and here's to hoping the 709 runs straight and true for ya.

GBK
    Ya, it shoots a little low and to the left. Maybe its just me, but the glock was straight for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan23 View Post
    nice shooting , I getting ready to go to the range with my G26 . I got some Winchester t series 127 grain+p+ to test on
    Yep...mines a keeper for sure. Not getting rid of this one...ever.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Glad that you enjoy your new guns. Good luck.
    Thanks GM. Definitely like them.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Glad all is working for you. Can you post a picture of the G26 and PT709 comparing the size ??? Thanks and God Bless

Congrats on the new to you firearms. The G26 is a workhorse from everything I've read. Reliable and dependable.

The 709 is a niche piece. You have to think about it along the lines of an LCP (but in 9mm). I've got a 709 also and I've been pleasantly surprised. I had over 1100 flawless rounds through mine, and yesterday I put 100 rounds through it with 2 extraction problems using Winchester White Box. I always use Federal and AE FMJ for practice, but decided to try a couple mags of WWB (someone gave me a box of 100 WWB) during my session and I experienced my first issues. Went back to the Federal (without cleaning) and no problems. They just don't like WWB for some reason. I've shot mine a ton and the last couple of times I've had the low and left problem (never had it before). I would have thought it was just me, but I was dead on with my XD40sc and my .357 snub revolver. I even hit a spinner squirrel target with the snub .357 from 50 yards (only 1 out of 5, but I didn't expect any). I was sighting in a 22 rifle with that target and I just thought I would try for the heck of it. I adjusted the rear sight all the way up and to the left and that took care of it. I had no problems with the adjustable rear sights (just don't over-crank it). I hope all continues to go well with them both. The 709 jumps in the hand quite a bit, but it's small and light and not a lot to hang on to if you have large hands. Just keep an occasional check on your rear sight alignment.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    T

Taurus 709 Slim - I actually expected to have issues, since this is a Taurus hate zone and have read some negatives about the gun and Taurus line in general.
    Please don't confuse a Taurus "hate" zone with a Taurus "truth" zone. Most (yes, I said MOST) users on this forum have given Taurus a fair chance and if they bash them it's generally because of personal bad experiences.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

shooting low and to the left with the Taurus maybe more of an issue caused by the thinner grip than the sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Please don't confuse a Taurus "hate" zone with a Taurus "truth" zone. Most (yes, I said MOST) users on this forum have given Taurus a fair chance and if they bash them it's generally because of personal bad experiences.
    Let's split the difference and call it "opinion" then. Personal bad experience doesn't mean it's all bad. Sex wouldn't stand a chance with that standard of judgement...

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Glad all is working for you. Can you post a picture of the G26 and PT709 comparing the size ??? Thanks and God Bless
    I sure will. My wife took the camera with here on vacation. I may see if I can uncover another camera.

Pics added per request. Showing side by side of the two. Added to first post.

Good comparo pics. When I looked at a 709 at the gun store, it just wasn't so much smaller than my ultra-reliable G26 that I would take a chance on it. Especially since it would not drop either of its mags free - the store owner was going to try and fix it himself because the 709 was already sold and he didn't want his customer to wait "weeks" for Taurus to fix it (his words). That took care of any notion of getting a Taurus, for me.

However, I'm glad yours is working for you.

That said...carry the Glock.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links