Ruger LCP to S&W 442 Questions?

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP to S&W 442 Questions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Ruger LCP, I like the gun, easy to carry in the pocket, however, I am not comfortable with .380 for self-defense just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP to S&W 442 Questions?

Ruger LCP to S&W 442 Questions?

I have a Ruger LCP, I like the gun, easy to carry in the pocket, however, I am not comfortable with .380 for self-defense just my opinion.

I am thinking of getting rid of the Ruger LCP and getting a S&W 442 for pocket carry.

Questions:
    #1. Is the 442 pretty easy to carry in jeans or dockers?
    #2. What am I gaining in ballistics with the .38 +P?
    #3. Shotability and accuracy, are they about the same?
    #4. Is there a .357 that is suitable for pocket carry?

2. Remove Ads

I don't have any experience with the other pistols you mentioned but I would say keep the LCP and use it when you need it for edc. But, add to your collection and get what you want to carry. You'll probably kick yourself after you get rid of the LCP even if you rarely use it.

VIP Member
    I have both, well the LCP and a 642. I carry the 442/642 daily in my pocket without a problem. The LCP is kept for times I need something smaller than the 442/642. With today's improved ballistics, I'd say they're getting close, but I still give the edge to the 38+P, although I wouldn't want to be shot with either one. The LCP is no fun to shoot IMO, and while the recoil in the 442/642 is stout, it's more comfortable for me to shoot than the LCP. I'd say keep both if you can. If not I'd pick the 442/642 over the LCP any day.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I own a LCP and 642.

the 642 is larger and heavier but still very easy and comfortable to pocket carry.

It is not an easy firearm to shoot well. I have done a ton of dry fire practice (easily 1500 trigger pulls by now) and live fire training that has helped tremendously.

I practice draw, fire, reload with strips and loaders, run drills etc...... no different than training with my 19 or 26.

My skills improvement compared to when I first started to shoot it is off the charts. Trigger control is very much improved, the trigger smoothed out a bunch and I have a pretty good idea what I am giving up compared to carrying my 19 or 26 to have something that can be pocket carried comfortably.

I use 135gr +P gold dot short barrel and have three pocket holsters for it. A basic uncle mikes size 3, RKBA and a Mikas round cut. Depending on the pants or shorts I wear (pocket size/shape) will dictate which holster works best.

I don't carry it as a primary very often, prefering my glock 19 or 26.

If I was going to pocket carry it daily as my primary I would purchase one of the J frames that has the removable front sight so that I could run it with a XS big dot, which I think some models come with from S&W. Even if it ment getting a .357 model, I would still carry 38 +P.

I find I carry my 642 in a pocket holster more than any other gun I own. It conceals easily in every pair of pants I own. I feel the rounded shape actually helps it conceal a little easier than a small semi-auto like the LCP. YMMV.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Keep the LCP !! You'll kick yourself later for getting rid of it. If you want a 442 go for it, but I not everyone is able to carry a revolver in a pocket. I can't. The LCP is "only" thing other than a Kel-tec that'll fit comfortably in my pocket. See the story on here the other day about the Judge that shot and killed an intruder in his home with a .380. He was taken to a local hospital where he later died. .380 is a capable round.

Oh and I don't think it rocoils as bad as a 442.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Tkruf, I see you have a PM9, do you pocket carry it?

VIP Member
    I agree that the 642 is an easy pocket carry. I use the DeSantis Super Fly and the gun fits well in a front pocket. The hard flap on the holster hides the profile of the gun well. I found that the recoil of the 642 was stout, but by putting a Hogue grip on it, I gained much in comfort and shootability without compromising the concealability - the grip is about 0.5" longer than stock.

I shoot my 642 (after putting on the Hogue grips) as well as my G21. My personal "qualification" routine is 5 shots in 10 seconds or less at 7 yards with a stationary target. With both the 642 and G21, my best groups are in the 1.5" range and my average groups are well under 2". The 642 is not a Camp Perry gun by any stretch, but for its intended mission profile, it is more than accurate enough. The only thing I dislike about it is the 5 round capacity. You will get used to carrying a speed loader or at least a speed strip.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I have both, well the LCP and a 642. I carry the 442/642 daily in my pocket without a problem. The LCP is kept for times I need something smaller than the 442/642. With today's improved ballistics, I'd say they're getting close, but I still give the edge to the 38+P, although I wouldn't want to be shot with either one. The LCP is no fun to shoot IMO, and while the recoil in the 442/642 is stout, it's more comfortable for me to shoot than the LCP. I'd say keep both if you can. If not I'd pick the 442/642 over the LCP any day.
    I agree. I have a 442 and it is super easy to pocket carry in dress pants, jeans, shorts, etc. One of my main summer carry weapons, and frequently carried in my jacket pocket in the winter. Great primary or bug. It kicks pretty good, but with a little practice you can get fairly proficient with it. Give yourself a couple hundred rounds of practice 50 rounds at a time and you'll be able to hit anything. I have thick hands and wrists, so the factory grip works fine for me. If recoil is an issue, there are lots of other grip options available that seem to help alot. There are a lot of 38+P rounds available today that are very effective and some made for short barrel revolvers. Lots to choose from. They're not the 38 specials from yester year by far, although they put down plenty of bad guys. For me, I have a lot more confidence in the 38+P defensive rounds than the 380 rounds. There are plenty of documented accounts of successful self defense with a 380 too. It just comes down to what you're comfortable with.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Since I bought my Ruger SP101 (.357 Magnum 2.25" bbl revolver), I've found myself carrying the .357 primary IWB or OWB strong side and my 442 pocket weak side. I put a speed strip of 38+P in each front pocket so that I can use all of my spare carry ammo in either weapon. The 442 serves as my quickest re-load and backup, both strong side and weak side covered with reloads. I love this carry combination. You might want to at least check out the Ruger SP101 line-up. They're heavy, but they handle .357 Mag loads pretty well for a snubnosed revolver.

In the winter with a big heavy coat zipped up over my primary carry weapon, I found myself carrying the 442 in my jacket pocket strong side. Walk with hands in pockets and if you need to you can shoot right through your coat from your pocket. Much better than digging for your primary.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have suit pants that will barely fit the LCP in their shallow pockets. A revolver? No way.

The LCP gives you - more capacity, faster reloads, easier to carry reloads, smaller/lighter/flatter profile, less cost.

The revolver gives you - slightly better ballistics, better sights (if you have a fiber optic or tritium front sight)

If you really want the snubbie, save for it, and check out the Ruger LCR - they just introduced the .357 Mag version.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I had a LCR for a while, I really did not like the grip or the plastic feel of the gun, I really can't say exactly what it was but I just did not care for it. I bought the LCP and carry it a lot, you are right I should keep it. I would like a 380 that can take +P though.

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Tkruf, I see you have a PM9, do you pocket carry it?
    Nope. Too big for "my" pockets. Even if I could manage to get it into a cargo pant pocket, it's not too quick to draw from there. Plus fully loaded, I think it's weight is too heavy for pocket. Suits better on a belt slide (IWB for some people). Ruger LCP I just purchased is the only gun I pocket carry.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I had a LCR for a while, I really did not like the grip or the plastic feel of the gun, I really can't say exactly what it was but I just did not care for it. I bought the LCP and carry it a lot, you are right I should keep it. I would like a 380 that can take +P though.
    If you want a .380 that handles +P, I believe the Kahr P380 does. It's pretty close to the size of the LCP. You might want to look into that.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

You have both revolvers I have been thinking of buying, the 442 and SP101, I know the specifications of both, would you pick one over the other for carry? The SP101 is 10oz. or so heavier, which would be tuff to pocket carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links