Would you trade an HK USP compact .40 for a glock 23?

This is a discussion on Would you trade an HK USP compact .40 for a glock 23? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright - Here is the dilemma, I've got an HK USP compact that I really do like, but I'm considering selling it for some short ...

View Poll Results: Would you trade a HK USPc .40 for a G23

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes trade it!

4 13.33%
  • No! Keep the USP compact

26 86.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you trade an HK USP compact .40 for a glock 23?

Would you trade an HK USP compact .40 for a glock 23?

Alright - Here is the dilemma, I've got an HK USP compact that I really do like, but I'm considering selling it for some short term cash to fund a 1911, then replace it with a G23 in a couple months instead of using any credit. It wouldn't be a major hardship to keep the USP but I'm considering a trade also for a few reasons:

I've played with a glock 23 YET HAVE NOT SHOT ONE, things I like are:

1. lower bore axis, seems a little better pointability than the HK in this manner. Maybe less recoil, faster target re-aquisition?

2. Standard rail

3. parts availability/price

4. lighter than the HK

Things I like about the HK over the Glock

1. Seems better built / like the grip feel & ergos better

2. I don't like the flimsy looking spring and plastic guide rod on the glock

3. Everybody has a G23/G19 - a reason not to have a glock, or a reason to own one?

4. It was my first pistol, almost feel like cheating on it if I bought a glock!

The HK was my first, and is my only pistol so far, not sure if that will make any difference - but Thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by MtflyerHK; August 24th, 2010 at 01:25 AM.

2. Remove Ads

just to add to the equation - I got a special deal from HK, one time only for $545 shipped (then add sales tax and $20 FFL) so I paid around 620? for it? It has the LEM trigger which I do like, and night sights. I've shot probably 1200 rounds through it without a single hiccup.

GM
    Trade a HK for a Glock?! NEVER!!! . And to make it even worse the HK has LEM trigger and night sights.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I would never consider trading my HK for a Glock. I would save up to fund the 1911. I have no problem with Glock and even carry one, but I really love my HK.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Not on my wife's life! There's no way I would trade an HK for a Glock and I LOVE Glocks.

I guess I'm kinda leaning toward keeping the HK, I would probably have a hard time ponying up the money to buy another when there are plenty of other models I'd like to own - and its been totally reliable and accurate, not something you can prove with any new gun until you've shot it alot. Thanks for all the replies though! Keep them coming!

you can get used glocks for around 350.00,try to find a used HK for that
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    keep it
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Wow, I must be the oddball here! I have four HK's right now and recently got rid of four others. The only ones I really like are the P30 and HK45, but sold both of my P30's, HK45c and have the HK45 up right now. My USP Tactical 45 is pretty much gone and I just gave a friend my Expert in 40 caliber that I was going to sell.

Now, I wouldn't trade a 40 caliber HK for a 40 caliber Glock, especially in the 23 size, but I would if it was a 9mm or 45, most likely. I really like my Gen 4 17. Now, I love my 1911's, especially my Nighthawks, but those aren't the types of guns you trade between in my opinion. The HK to Glock or vice versa makes more sense since they're similar guns.

Most of my HK's had the V1 group and could be carried cocked and locked if I chose. My P30's were V2's maybe? If I had the option to get one with a V1, I would and even would consider the LEM.....but I shoot the Glock better and like it better for what it is. To me, the HK, Sig, Glock and M&P are kind of beater guns in the sense that I carry them when it's hot and I may sweat on them or when I'm near the beach. I run them hard and leave them dirty. In a pistol or carbine class they'll most likely hit the ground hard and get banged up and I'm ok with that. If something happens to one it's no big deal, I'll buy another. I lend them out to friends, etc. My 1911's are different where I still run them hard and put at least 50 rounds a day through at least one of them, but I wipe them down. If I know I'll be sweaty or near the salt air of the beach, I might not carry one or if I do, I'll wipe it down. Not sure why I just went on and on about that, but I think someone mention a 1911... sorry.

Anyway, it all comes down to you. Does the Glock or HK feel better in your hand WHEN YOU SHOOT IT, not just hold it. When you draw it fast, does your hand fall where it needs to and if not, can it still be shot accurately and reliably EVERY TIME with a slightly less than perfect grip? My Sig 229 SCT has a bump that my other Sigs don't on the grip, and I can't consistently draw it perfectly. Sometimes it hits hard and is uncomfortable. The Glock, M&P and 1911 on the other hand, my hand just lands then glides into place perfectly almost every single time....and I do this at least 25 to 50 times a day at home and at least 20 times or more at the range every day or two. My HK's, I come close, but the safety lever is a little awkward and can hit my thumb at the wrong angle. I shoot thumbs forward, so I ride safety levers.

Regardless of what anyone else thinks, if the Glock is a hair faster or MORE CONSISTENT from the draw, go for it. if not, stay with the HK until you find something you like better. No matter what, you MUST get out and shoot it AND draw and fire a number of times if you carry. All the opinions in the world won't mean a thing if you can shoot the gun consistently from the draw every single time.

Enjoy the process!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

umm no i have and carry a g19 ive had for years but i could kick myself for getting rid of my usp compact 9mm
    Well hell yes its dangerous if it wasnt i wouldnt be carrying it!
    Beretta PX4 40sw
    SR9
    PF9
    Sig mosquito 22
    Keltec p3at

As much as I love my Glocks, I would say keep the H&K. You'll regret getting rid of it. Save up for the 23. BTW, the fact that a lot of people own Glocks is a good thing. There are a plethera of spare parts, holsters and add ons available. Don't concern yourself with the plastic guide rod that is in the recoil spring assembly. I have SEVERAL thousand rounds through my 19 and I only changed the assembly recently as a precaution. The original was working fine.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I would never consider trading my HK for a Glock. I would save up to fund the 1911. I have no problem with Glock and even carry one, but I really love my HK.
    HK is a superb weapon and I've got a 9mm USP on my hip right now.
    Would never trade it or give it up. It is dependable, and accurate.

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't..."

Brian

I'd trade it for a glock 23 and a buttload of ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    When I had to turn in my H&K P2000, I started carrying my Glock 23. I love the Glock, but I miss the P2000.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links