Does anybody know anything about this gun? (Para Warthog)

This is a discussion on Does anybody know anything about this gun? (Para Warthog) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at a gun show and i found a handgun. It's by Para Ordnance and its called Warthog in 45 acp I've never seen ...

Thread: Does anybody know anything about this gun? (Para Warthog)

Question Does anybody know anything about this gun? (Para Warthog)

I was at a gun show and i found a handgun.
    It's by Para Ordnance and its called Warthog in 45 acp
    I've never seen one before and I liked it but since I dont know anything about it, I was not going to buy it until i found out some stuff about it.
    So, I'm wondering if anyone on the forum owns one or has shot one and would it be worth $700?
    Or should I just get something else.
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I really like the Hawg 9 and how it feels but the ParaCote finish is what keeps holding me back. Do a search on it and you will see what I mean.

Was all set to buy one but seems a lot of people are having problems with them and can't get any resolution with there customer service. Look at the 1911 forum and you'll see what I mean.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I used to think I wanted one until I did some research. What I kept reading is that they have feeding problems until you replace the mag springs with Wolff springs. I also heard that their customer service isn't the greatest.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    I really wanted one until I held it. It was so tight that I thought the slide was jammed when I went to pull it back. Then I noticed that even though it was NIB, the paracote had already started to wear off on the corners from jostling around in the box.

It's a mean looking gun. I love its asthetics. I'm sure that I could have made it work if I really wanted to. I just could think of better ways to spend that kind of money.

I think any gun is mean looking if you have the muzzle pointed at you :). Like Clint Smith says," ...a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty miuch the universal language."

jyo
    My shooting friend has one (.45 ACP) and I find that while it works fine, I find it to be heavy, kinda clubby and the grip is too short for me. I prefer the Kahr P45 (I have one)---not the same round capacity but slimmer, lighter and a far better grip---for me anyway. Thats my two cents!

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    There was an article a few months ago in the NRA monthly publication about Para Ordinance. Apparently they are building a new factory in the USA. I too saw the Wart Hawg and the other Hawg's. The one that intrigued me was the 12+1 .45, 1911 style. I was determined to own one until I read about some of the supposed quality issues and poor factory service so I have held off pulling the trigger(excuse the pun). I saw one up close and personal at a Gander Mountain in IL. It looks even better in person. Presently I'm intrigued by the new FNP-45 Tactical 15+1. You should check it out.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    Presently I'm intrigued by the new FNP-45 Tactical 15+1. You should check it out.
    I think that is what I am going with. I just read an article on them that there are only 6 employees that build, and test fire every one made. That kind of attention to detail usually means good things.

I have a family member that shoots the wart hog IDPA, this is his primary carry gun and I think he owns 8-10 paras in different sizes. He can not say enough about the hog. His hog is an early model, like a P10, so he has not had the problems with the finish. But 10-12 years shooting IDPA I could only guess the round count on it. He also told me para was good on repairs, customer service, but he is the only person I know shooting them.

Personally I would prefer a GLOCK 30, less money and reliable right out of the box. FWIW, I know very little about Para's firearms, like anything some love 'em and some hate 'em.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Links