Decisions, decisions... which is the right pistol?

This is a discussion on Decisions, decisions... which is the right pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, so I really like my KelTec p3at and Crossbreed minituck (also have a smartcarry) setup but I am also interested in a 9MM CCW. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Decisions, decisions... which is the right pistol?

Decisions, decisions... which is the right pistol?

Okay, so I really like my KelTec p3at and Crossbreed minituck (also have a smartcarry) setup but I am also interested in a 9MM CCW. I love the Crossbreed setup (the kholster looks awfully similar) so for IWB I think that is where I will end up with whatever 9 I get.

But I can't decide between the below choices (ranked in order for where I am currently leaning):

Kahr PM9
    Kahr MK9
    Walther PPS
    Glock G26
    KelTec PF9
    KelTec P11

Perhaps I shouldn't ask since I already can't decide... but since this is a few months out at this point I have time to waffle some more... what pistol is missing from the list above that I should REALLY consider? My criteria are 9MM, lightweight and as thin as possible, at least 6+1, good accuracy, reliable, and low maintenance. Price is always a consideration but is one of the last things I will look at.

...and does anyone know of a good place in western PA that I can go rent and shoot the above list?
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

2. Remove Ads

Glock 19 hands down....I know it's not on your list but is just as easy to conceal as the 26!

Which pistol can you consistently shoot and manipulate best? That is the one you carry.

Absolutely. You did note the last sentence I hope?
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

I was wondering about the 19. If I go glock it will be a consideratio as well

I have been carrying my PF9 in a CBST and won't look back. The PF9 fits all your criteria and won't break your bank. It's much lighter than the glocks and can be front pocket carried/cargo pocket carry if you need. Good luck, you have some good choices on that list.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

Quote Originally Posted by carryon View Post
    I have been carrying my PF9 in a CBST and won't look back. The PF9 fits all your criteria and won't break your bank. It's much lighter than the glocks and can be front pocket carried/cargo pocket carry if you need. Good luck, you have some good choices on that list.
    It's a strong contender for sure. Have you fired the Walther PPS or either of the Kahrs? If so, how do they compare to the Keltec? My dad has a Glock 26 (I havent fired it yet) and says the keltec p3at is too "snappy" but I dont think he's fired the PF9. I guess I'm really looking for some thoughts on how the pistols on the list "feel" different from each other.

Really, the best thing I could do is find a place to go shoot them all side by side... unfortunately I have no idea where.

My vote would be for the PM9, I have a Glock 19 and it is a great gun if you want to carry something that big, the PM9 can even go into a pocket and is very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    My vote would be for the PM9, I have a Glock 19 and it is a great gun if you want to carry something that big, the PM9 can even go into a pocket and is very accurate.
    Have you tried the PF9? You've got the PM9, the G19, and the LCP so you're in a good spot to compare them if you have.

Kahr MK9, PM9, PPS or the G26 and in that order.... But that's me.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    I would also put the G19 on that list. Have you looked at the H&K P2000 SK? I would put the LEM version of that at the top of a list. It's a double stack, but it seems thin and not too big of a grip. Very silky to the feel.

I looked at all of those you listed as well. The Kahrs just did not feel good to shoot although they felt great in the hand on dry land. The PPS was interesting and nice, but somehow it felt top heavy and clunky.

I would suggest the Sig P239 but you said light, so that counts that out. It's a beauty though. Thin, rounded off, nice to conceal. Just feels very connected to the body. I have the DAK version of it. People will say it is heavy for the relatively low capacity but I love it.

I hadn't seen the HK P2000 SK, thanks. Specs have it at 1.34" wide... fatter than the Glock and that's been pretty much my upper limit. The Sig 239 was an initial contender but, yes, I chucked it for weight. It's only 1.2" so not bad even though still slightly fatter than the Glock. If I find a place that will rent me one I will see about firing it though. That extra weight might actually make it a lot nicer to shoot and it's a DA/SA which I kind of like.

I want a CCW... but I also want a decent range gun that is fun to shoot.
    Last edited by chivvalry; August 24th, 2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling

I love my PF9! I also have an M&P9c and I've found it to conceal extremely well in my MTAC IWB holster (yeah, it's not on your list, but had to throw that out there since some have chimed in with Glock suggestions). A PPS is also on my short list of guns I'd like to add to my collection. They're a little bigger / heavier than a Kahr or Keltec, but you lose the DAO trigger which would surely make them easier to shoot accurately.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9c
    Sig Sauer P229R .40
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Keltec PF9 Parkerized

i have a kahr cw40 and love it . have you looked at the kahr cw9 ?
    the cw series is kahr's economy line but get rave reviews from what
    i have read online but you know what they say take everything you
    hear with a grain of salt ! all i know is the cw40 works great for me

Based on everything you've said thus far, a Taurus PT-709 is missing from your list. Another I would add is a Ruger SR9c.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links