SA Revolver as an occasional carry

This is a discussion on SA Revolver as an occasional carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just finished an article in the American Rifleman about Single-Action Revolvers for self-defense. We all know what our ancestors did before DA revolvers came around ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SA Revolver as an occasional carry

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar

SA Revolver as an occasional carry

Just finished an article in the American Rifleman about Single-Action Revolvers for self-defense.
    We all know what our ancestors did before DA revolvers came around and long before the Colt 1911.
    But would anyone consider carrying, say, a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 as a "knock-around grab and go gun"...NOT as a primary EDC but as an occasional one.
    Something that's in the truck (or car) with you (of course NEVER left there unattended).
    Just wondering? It sounds very cool and there's something about a good SA !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

Novel thought. I did just that with a Millennium .45LC in my truck out in the boonies. But I had a rifle or two also.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

GM
    Better than nothing is it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I carry a Colt SAA quite frequently as a primary, and never feel undergunned. I hear many people talk about the limitations of it, but for every limitation you can come up with, I can think of an advantage. I carry it in a Bill Mernickle holster made specifically for concealed carry of this particular revolver. I like it because its me, and its different.

I OCCASIONALLY carry a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 45 Colt/ ACP 5 1/2". I feel very safe and well armed with it.

Given your shooting experience, I'm sure you could do it with no problem. Not something I would recommend for someone new to guns or carry.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I occasionally carry a Colt Single Action Army while hiking on our old place.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”
    That's a profound sig line, bmcgilvray.

To the OP's question I would say, sure, a SA handgun is a proven weapon with a long, established heritage in this country. Compared to some robot-brick boom-boom box, the Blackhawk fires a powerful round with great accuracy.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

My around the house gun is a NAA Mini .22 Magnum with a 1 1/8" barrel and a front night sight. Its a single action revolver, so I suppose that counts. I also carry it out and around as a BUG or Holdout gun from time to time.

I wouldn't feel undergunned carrying something like a Blackhawk 4 5/8" .44 Special. I'd still carry my usual BUG though, some kind of DAO snubbie, in the event I needed more than six rounds. The main disadvantage of the SA revolver IMO is the slow reloading.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Thumbs up Single Action

I recently purchased a Beretta Stampede Bisley. It is .357 magnum.It has proven to be very accurate.I would feel very comfortable packing it on a field/woods excursion.

U.S. Army Veteran

Bisley 001.jpgBisley 002.jpgTell me this would not ruin a car jacker's day!!

For a woods gun? Sure. For EDC no way. Any delay in getting your gun into action is giving an advantage to your opponent. There is also the limited capacity and impossibly slow reloading.

I will concede the slow reload but don't see much delay in bringing a single action revolver into action from the holster. The thumb can be working as the gun is brought to bear after being drawn from the holster. This is scarcely any slower than using the thumb to push the safety off on a 1911 and that procedure takes up an effortless and insignificant time interval in the course of a draw.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I am old school/country. Maybe it's because I spent 20+ years of my career in bleeding-edge corporate technology, but I hate airports, concrete, cabs and suits. I carry a Glock, but only because I have to CC and I believe it is best of breed in that capacity for self defense.

However, I dream of the day that I'm retired on my ranch. I'll go into town when I need groceries and such, but there will likely be long stretches where I have no need to go anywhere. There's just something about a SA revolver that feels natural, like I've always carried one. Check back with me in about 8 years, and my primary will likely be an OC SA.

For some people it would be a bad choice. There are many people who prefer a certain type of handgun over another because they think they "shoot" it better. If carrying from a concealed carry position, the handicap is equal due to accessing the piece. If carried open, I would not want to go up against anyone carrying a single action. I love modern handguns, but my money would be on the guy with the peacemaker over the glock in a quick draw where the first well placed shot settled the matter. The slow reload is only a disadvantage if you are a poor shot, for everyday normal Joe citizen purposes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links