Glock lubrication

This is a discussion on Glock lubrication within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I detail stripped my new (to me) Glock 23. I cleaned out the area where the firing pin rod resides. I pulled out some thick ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock lubrication

Glock lubrication

I detail stripped my new (to me) Glock 23.

I cleaned out the area where the firing pin rod resides. I pulled out some thick grease. During re-assembly I just used some hops lube... nothing as thick as the grease i pulled out.

What fluids/grease/lube do you recommend I use in the internals of this glock.

Thanks

Derek

2. Remove Ads

I never lube the firing pin channel. I'm pretty sure Glock doesn't want you to lube that area.

I almost always use Breakfree CLP on my Glocks.

sfo
    do not lube the firing pin channel. just put a little oil on the hood, outer/inner barrel and slide rails/grooves. you don't need a lot of oil either. i clean my guns at least once a month even if i don't shoot it.

also on the barrel locking lug. i believe thats what its called?
    Last edited by sfo; August 25th, 2010 at 03:21 PM.

VIP Member
    Lubricate as mentioned above, also put one small drop occasionally on the hook of the connector. That is it. Never put grease or oil in the firing pin channel as this can cause light primer strikes due to retarding the function of the firing pin spring. Also, when using a CPL, do not spray directly onto the slide as it can work its way into those areas that should be dry. Instead apply it to a patch and use that to wipe away any build up.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

As mentioned, nothing goes on any of the internal parts of the Glock. There is a drain hole there to let any solvent leak out that may get in there accidently while cleaning. Make sure when you clean the breachface that it is facing down. This will prevent any solvent from getting into the firing pin channel. Glocks work well when they are pretty dry. Excess oil will attract dust and dirt.

One drop of oil will cover your whole barrel. One drop should cover all four rails. And one drop down into the connector so she rides smooth against the back of the trigger bar.

When I do my annual complete break down, I also do a 25cent trigger job.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I use Breakfree CLP to clean mine and WB25 to lube it.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Administrator
    The special Copper based grease that is used by Glock to lube a brand new Glock is intended to be left on until after the pistol is shot. Just FYI as per the Glock instructional manual.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My G30 manual says to fieldstrip, clean, and lube before first firing, which I did. I don't think it would matter either way.

After cleaning, I check to see that the firing pin drops correctly when the firing pin safety is pressed. If not lube or gunk is interfering.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The copper lube stays...it will wear on its own. Any of the usual suspects for lubing and cleaning will work, just use stuff specifically for guns. There should be a lube diagram on the net floating around. My armorers instructor, said you can lube an entire Glock with what you can fill the head of a q-tip with.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

weapon shield and miltec1 are the best for the job

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I once had a Glock factory armorer tell me that Glocks hate lubricant and to only put a minimal amount on the slide rails.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Lube a Glock? Why?

Despite what some say, you really can't over lube a handgun (within reason), but you can almost always under lube, though the Glock is one of the very few that will still most likely run fine with very little to none, though I wouldn't go without personally. You most certainly don't want to lube the striker channel, but it most likely won't be much of an issue if you do. Just like any gun, put a little on the rails, barrel hood and near the muzzle on the barrel. For a Glock, literally one drop total is all you need and they even say to just wipe it on, not drop it on. I primarily shoot 1911's, which are a little more lube specific. I've put almost two thousand rounds through my 17 since I bought it three weeks ago. I cleaned and lubed it after the first session of a couple hundred rounds. I put about two drops total of gun butter on a patch and haven't touched it since. No problems at all.

Once I hit 2,000 each on the 17 and the M&P (should be this week), I'm going to clean them and start a 12,000 round test between them, one of my Sigs and I think one of my Nighthawks. I'm going to run 3,000 through each using only two magazines each and not do any cleaning except wiping it down before going back on my belt. Nothing formal at all, I just want to see how they run with a few thousand rounds and now cleaning. I'll be shooting IDPA, our personal courses, many drills, and maybe a class depending on the dates. I don't expect any to really choke that bad with that few rounds, I just really want to see how they perform when that dirty.... are they slower and less responsive? Accuracy? slide locking back consistently? I'm sure the three 9mm's will be fine, but it's the 1911 is what I really want to see.

Anyway, don't get hung up on lube, just wipe whatever oil you like on the rails and barrel and be done with it. I like Tetra Gun Grease, Enos Slide Glide and TW25b for grease and Militec 1, Gun Butter and Slip 2000 for oil. I use a touch of oil on the rails and a tiny bit of grease for everything else usually. It's much easier to clean, stays where you put it for a long time and doesn't attract dirt and debris as easily as oil if you use the right ones. Just stay away from thicker greases if you're in freezing conditions for extended periods of time unless it's rated for those temps.

Here's a good article about general handgun lubrication from LAV - http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-...n-lubrication/
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I once had a Glock factory armorer tell me that Glocks hate lubricant and to only put a minimal amount on the slide rails.
    Yep!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by sigpack View Post
    Lube a Glock? Why?
    LOL!
    You know.......as many here have already stated.........it is not recommended to even get into the firing pin channel by the end user. There should absolutely be no need whatsoever for you to get into the firing pin channel nor clean it out nor lube it. Lube in the firing pin channel of your Glock is strictly forbidden. That will only do one of two things....make your Glock pistol more prone to powder build up in that area, and impede the striker momentum. The ONLY things you need to lube on your Glock pistol are the ones laid out in your owner's manual. Field strip. Detail strip down to the last part should be for trained personnel only. IMO....you're getting way too deep into your Glock for nothing that should concern you for proper function.

I detail stripped my new (to me) Glock 23.

I cleaned out the area where the firing pin rod resides. I pulled out some thick grease. During re-assembly I just used some hops lube... nothing as thick as the grease i pulled out.

What fluids/grease/lube do you recommend I use in the internals of this glock.
    You get in between what's recommended for the end user, and what the end user wants to do, then use at your own risk in my opinion. Field stripping your Glock and adhering to the owner's manual are the best you can do to keep your Glock close to factory specs. When the actual parts wear out or your function tests identify a possible safety problem......come see me or any Glock armorer. People that mess with things they shouldn't keep me in business as a gunsmith by the way. I hope you never have something go wrong, nor injure yourself, or destroy your pistol due to negligence on your part. Leave the shade tree mechanic ordeal to the Toyota.....not for your pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links