Colt peacemaker...let's see them!

This is a discussion on Colt peacemaker...let's see them! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have an old colt Peacemaker? Do you shoot it or is it a collectors gun that sits in the safe for you? Personally I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt peacemaker...let's see them!

Colt peacemaker...let's see them!

Anyone have an old colt Peacemaker? Do you shoot it or is it a collectors gun that sits in the safe for you? Personally I shoot mine ALL the time I love it and I have even used it for hunting squirrel. Here's mine MFG. 1975 .22LR

Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

I've had this one since 1983. It is a 4 3/4-inch .38 WCF (.38-40) that was originally shipped from Colt to Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co. in Chicago, Illinois on April 24, 1905 as one out of a shipment of 15 revolvers.

It still sees regular use, both in the field and on the range despite the horrified protestations of some modern day collectors. That is what it was made to do.

I used to use it for some experimental handloading up into the "Elmer Keith" range of load intensity just to see what sort of capabilities the .38-40 possesses. While I never "went out on a limb" beyond published data, some loads were worked up from from older loading manuals that were truly potent ... as in the 10mm Auto range of performance. These loads would handily beat out any .40 S&W concoction. Somewhat misnamed by Winchester, the originator of the round, the .38 WCF or .38-40 as it was later called, has a true .40 bore. Any common bullet useful in the .40 S&W or 10mm may be fired from a .38-40.

Here's some fun data from chronograph sessions of bygone days.

Factory load: Winchester 180 grain jacketed soft point
    928 fps muzzle velocity 347 ft./lbs muzzle energy

My standard field load using a mild charge of Unique and a 172 grain cast lead bullet
    829 fps 262 ft./lbs

Hornady 170 grain JHP (component bullet intended for use in .40 S&W)

IMR 4227 993 fps muzzle velocity 371 ft./lbs muzzle energy
    Unique 1107 fps 462 ft./lbs

172 grain cast lead semi-wadcutter (Lyman No. 40143)

40 grains FFFg black powder 916 fps 321 ft/lbs
    IMR 4227 1053 fps 425 ft./lbs
    Unique 1211 fps 552 ft./lbs

These days it only sees use with the cast lead 172 grain bullet and mild charges of Unique unless some black powder loads are made up for fun, just to let someone shoot the .38-40 with all the smoke and thunder of its 19th century glory.

It shoots to point of aim at 15 yards with both the black powder load or the mild Unique load and groups pretty well.

My wife poked this hole in the cactus using the .38-40 Colt from about 12 yards. The revolver sees a lot of this kind of low-key plinking entertainment. We have a lot of shot-up cactus on our place.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Well, it's not a "Peacemaker" but it's a Colt and you opened with a 22.

Frontier Scout from 1967. It's been fired I know, but not very much.

For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

I need to take pics of mine. A pair of Pony Express edition Colt .45 7-inch Peacemakers in nickle finish with wood grips.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

I've had this one since 1983. It is a 4 3/4-inch .38 WCF (.38-40) that was originally shipped from Colt to Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co. in Chicago, Illinois on April 24, 1905 as one out of a shipment of 15 revolvers
    Absolutely fantastic lookin' old Colt, I'm green.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Thanks OD. I have to wonder if your hue of green matches mine over all your desirable Colt 1911s and other fine stuff I've seen you post.

"Any common bullet useful in the .40 S&W or 10mm may be fired from a .38-40."

It will be noticed that "bullet," as in component bullet, was mentioned earlier. Some folks use the term bullet interchangeably with cartridge, which is incorrect usage. It would also be incorrect usage of a .38-40 chambered arm to attempt to load it with either .40 S&W or 10mm cartridges.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Thanks OD. I have to wonder if your hue of green matches mine over all your desirable Colt 1911s and other fine stuff I've seen you post.
    Thank you for the kind words. Your Remington box looks light green on my monitor.

~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    All in .45 Colt.

~ Tiger McKee

Well, see! There you go OD. Now my green hue is a couple shades darker.

Back in 1905 my revolver looked like your 1997 revolver.

What chamberings are we seeing here? I'm going to guess that all are in .45 Colt except for the 1958 gun which might be a .38 Special.

Those little .22 Colts shown in this thread are nice too. My dad has one, a Colt New Frontier with two cylinders. High quality and nice little shooter.

OD*
    They're all in .45 Colt. I had a 1958 in .38 Spl, I got into a trade with a collector friend of mine in Tombstone, I had a 1907 SAA in .32WCF with ivories (Colt ivories, but from a different year, they had the 1920s era medallions). He wanted it, so we traded, I got the '58 .38 Spl. SAA, a clean 1931 '94 Eastern Carbine and cash. .
    Last edited by OD*; August 25th, 2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling

~ Tiger McKee

Well, I have two 3rd Gen. SAAs, a 4 3/4" and a 5 1/2", both in .45 Colt, in blue and case. Added together, they don't have one tenth the character of Bryan's .38-40! The 5 1/2" gun was a Christmas gift from my Mother, who also bought one for my younger brother the same year, about 1975. She used her tiny inheritance from her father to buy them. My brother cried when he opened the package with his in it. Needless to say, neither of those will ever be sold. I bought the 4 3/4" gun in the early 90s. Despite my usual carry of autoloaders, I've thought about carrying the 4 3/4" gun, and yet may.

Hi John;

You could probably "tear 'em up" with that 4 3/4-inch gun. I had a bank customer once who appendix-carried a 4 3/4-inch Colt SAA in .45 Colt. I took him out to our place duck hunting one long afternoon. He could get that .45 out and properly ventilate a paper plate at 10 yards in short order. I'd feel good with him watching my back armed with that Colt single action.

He retired and started up a small lawn care business to have spendin' money for guns and stuff. He mowed his customers' yards wearing that Colt under a vest all day. Even in the Texas heat of this time of year. His Colt's name was Frank, after the sheriff from who he purchased the revolver.

I don't know. That 5 1/2-inch .45 Colt gift has a lot of character due to that Christmas memory. And, it ain't been that long since 1975 either!

I haven't had the bread for a Colt but there's nothing like a single action revolver. They feel so "right" in my hand and are just fun to shoot.

Thanks for the pics guys!

I have two Colt "clones" and two Ruger single actions, never had the money for the real thing (or maybe too impatient to save long enough) have yet to give more than $400 for a single action revolver, but am looking at a Ruger Vaquero w/ 3.75" bbl specifically for CC.
    Would LOVE to have a Colt "sheriff's Model" for CC, just can't bring myself to put up that much cash. :~{
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by drew59 View Post
    I haven't had the bread for a Colt but there's nothing like a single action revolver. They feel so "right" in my hand and are just fun to shoot.
    Nothing at all wrong with a quality built Colt copy, USFA's are some dandies, their "Rodeo" models are fairly inexpensive (compared to other copies).

I bought these two Rodeo's shortly after USFA first introduced them, when they were just a little over $400. I removed the "matte blue" finish and applied a faux antique look, also replaced the stocks. They are not Colt's, but they are very nice copies of the Single Action Army. http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/rodeogun.asp

4 3/4" barrel;

5 1/2" barrel;

~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links