Carry gun for wife

Carry gun for wife

This is a discussion on Carry gun for wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife wants an auto pistol for concealed carry. Problem is she simply cannot rack the slide on any pistol we have tried. Looking for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry gun for wife

Carry gun for wife

My wife wants an auto pistol for concealed carry. Problem is she simply cannot rack the slide on any pistol we have tried. Looking for a 9mm small, but not tiny. Any suggestions on an easy to rack auto pistol for a women with weak arms and hands.?

Welcome to the forum. My wife has had carpel tunnel surgery on both wrists and it's hard for her to rack the slide on a lot of guns. These are some that she is able to rack the slide on. 9mm: Walther PPS, Glock 19, S&W 908. .380: Ruger LCP, (probably another one but I would not recommend that one).
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

First off......Welcome Aboard the fourm.

Seconly, it's my recomendation that your wife and you go to a range that rents a few of the pistols (if possiable) she's looking at/for and let her try 'em all. Buy a few boxes of target rounds and got at it! Ultimatly she needs to make the choice herself so the more pistols she gets her hands on BEFORE ya'll buy, the better.

With practice and some shooting/range time with the sidearm she does choose, it'll become easier and second nature to rack the slide of ANY semiauto pistol.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by 38 wcf View Post
    she simply cannot rack the slide on any pistol we have tried. Looking for a 9mm small, but not tiny.
    It's not a 9mm, but my Sig 238 has the easiest slide to rack of any gun I own. Kahr PM-9, very difficult.

glock 26 , my girl loves this gun

i carry a pf9 wife can rack it and will shoot it. the p11 is easier for her to shoot. also she carries a p32 daily. it is small enough for her to conceal small of back. she loves it.

Just another +1 for the walther pps. I'm not a big fan of letting my life depend on a .380, so it's all 9pm luger or .40 cal for me. The pps is the perfect meld of size, concealability, and power. (not that I'm partial or anything)

My wife went to the range with me recently to try some different guns before purchasing. She wound up liking the Glock 27 which is the .40cal. If you want a 9mm then you may want to look at the 26 which is the same size. My wife isn't big so this gun fit her well.

los
    What method of carry will she be utilizing..?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

The best option is going to be for her to hit a big gunshop or a rental range and try a bunch to fnd out what she likes. Some professional instruction may also help with some gun handling techniques friendly to shooters with weak or limited grip strength. And with good technique she may not have as much trouble as she thinks.

We can all pick what works for us but it's up to her in the end if she's going to use it effectively. Welcome.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

It may well be the way she's going about working the slide. Two fingers of the left hand on the slide are not as good as the whole left hand. Have her maybe try with her left hand pushing instead of pulling the slide; gun in right hand pointing left, left hand over gun with thumb on the inside. Then she can push with both hands to work the slide. Might be easier for her. Worked for my mother in law.

O.K great suggestions. We have not tried any of the pistols mentioned so far.
    She will be carrying in a fanny pack and possibly in a purse.

VIP Member
    You might have her try a push pull technique. Gripping the pistol in her strong hand, pull back on the slide, while pushing with the strong hand. This may help her develop the strength to rack the slide.

BTW welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My wife can rack the slide on my Glock 19 with very little difficulty. She can rack the Sig P228 also, but it is a little difficult. She likes the way the Sig feels in her hand (no surprise there). Especially since I have Hogue grips on the 228. But she likes the weight of the 19.

BTW my wife has rheumatoid arthritis and is of small stature. So, a woman with normal hand strength should have no problem. Hope this helps.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Welcome, try the Glock 26.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links