Defensive Carry banner

Trigger Pull Weights

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Ram Rod 
#1 ·
I am considering the purchase of a 1911 and am in the process of evaluating several. I have 2 guns that have SA triggers, a Ruger Mark II Target with bull barrel and a Taurus PT-99 - about 15-20 years old, one of the originals.

According to Ruger, the Mark II Target has a trigger pull weight between 3 to 5 pounds. This seems reasonable and I believe mine is at the lower end of this range based on how easy it is to break the trigger.

Taurus, on the other hand, claims that the trigger pull weight for the PT-99 is 1 to 2 pounds in SA mode and 4 to 5 in DA mode. I call BS on Taurus for this info, but I can't seem to find any good info for what the trigger pull weight should be for the PT-99. In SA mode, it is stiffer than the Ruger and in DA mode, it takes a pretty good pull.

Does anybody have good info on what the trigger pull of an original PT-99 should be? I appreciate any input on this matter.

#2 ·
Taurus, on the other hand, claims that the trigger pull weight for the PT-99 is 1 to 2 pounds in SA mode and 4 to 5 in DA mode. I call BS on Taurus for this info, but I can't seem to find any good info for what the trigger pull weight should be for the PT-99. In SA mode, it is stiffer than the Ruger and in DA mode, it takes a pretty good pull.
It should be what Taurus say's it is. Now, to find out what your actual trigger pull weight is, you'll probably need to check it with a trigger pull scale.

#5 ·
I never heard of a 1-2 lb trigger pull even in SA. That is downright dangerous if true and a high liability if its a CCW..

#6 ·
Ask your local gunsmith, or they should be able to test it for you. They should also be able to make it the best it could be while safety is the number one concern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.