Walther PPS in 40 S&W,need opinions please

This is a discussion on Walther PPS in 40 S&W,need opinions please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any Walther PPS owners here,I'm interested in the 40 S&W version as far as reliability goes and are they known for any issues? Do these ...

Thread: Walther PPS in 40 S&W,need opinions please

Walther PPS in 40 S&W,need opinions please

Any Walther PPS owners here,I'm interested in the 40 S&W version as far as reliability goes and are they known for any issues? Do these guns need a break in period or are they good to go out of the box? Also how is the recoil on these gun with defensive 40 S&W loads?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Go to PPStalk.com for some very informative real world experiences with the PPS 40. I own a PPS 9,...they are excellent out of the box...Ive had zero prob. or malfunctions...very soft shooting and very accurate....similar to my Sig. The 40. is a fair bit "snappier" but controllable and have had some issues (but I believe those have been fixed) and the 40.'s seem to need a break in. If youve shot other 40's you will probably love this gun...there is nothing else comparable to it in quality, durability, size...but go to PPStalk.com.

MY Wife has one and she loves, I don't get to shoot it much but there has been no hiccups so far. She says its recoil is less than my M&P .40c, I don't notice any difference its more likely it fits her hand better.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

I have both the 9 and 40 and I have been very satisfied. Some of the earlier ones had problems with the trigger not resetting. I believe that was addressed early on. I have close to 10k threw my 9 mm and I have had a couple FTE which I chalk up to limp wristing because of my wife. I a little under 3500 threw the 40 and I had one FTF early on and one FTE and I have no clue what caused either one because I was shooting it when each one happened.

I should also mention that they are also every bit as accurate as my full sized M&P's as well. They are really a great little gun. They quickly became my EDC after I got about 200 rounds threw each of them.

I bought one used. I'm a big G27 fan and shoot a lot of Glocks. I bought one because it's a bit thinner than the G27 and it may have a slight edge in concealing.

I shot the PPS 30-40 times and thought recoil was more harsh than Glock. The back strap was uncomfortable (to me.) SO I bought a limb saver grip sleeve. That helped recoil control quite a bit.

So side by side I do like G27 much better, but the PPS conceals very well and at 100+ rounds I had no FTE- FTF problems. Seems like a good gun.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

love my PPS in 9mm.. thinking of another in .40 as well.

I have the 9mm so i can't give a first hand report on the .40. The PPS 9mm is a superb weapon and in my opinion is best in its class of sub-compact 9mm's. It is superior to the G26 in several areas such as concealability, accuracy and ergonomics. The 9mm is soft shooting and the fit and finish is typical German precision. The .40 S&W PPS seems to be a popular choice if you go by the number of satisfied owners on ppstalk.com. Bear in mind that a 19 oz. sub-compact in .40 S&W is never going to be the easiest shooting range gun but once you become proficient with it you can depend on it to shine for its intended purpose of a highly concealable personal defense pistol in a full-sized caliber.

I personally own a PPS in .40 cal and I love it. The recoil is a bit stout, but not too bad. I find it more than manageable. The pistol is very easy to conceal and is much more accurate than its size would lead you to believe.

Thanks guys for the info so far also,as far as the recoil of this gun goes,let me ask would you say its comparable to the recoil of my S&W 340PD with golden saber .357's?

I'd say the recoil of that is pretty stiff but I can control it as well. I'm not recoil sensitive but was wondering if it punishes your hand like a 340PD with magnums does?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Thanks guys for the info so far also,as far as the recoil of this gun goes,let me ask would you say its comparable to the recoil of my S&W 340PD with golden saber .357's?

I'd say the recoil of that is pretty stiff but I can control it as well. I'm not recoil sensitive but was wondering if it punishes your hand like a 340PD with magnums does?
    No. The polymer frame flexes some, a fully loaded PPS probably weighs more than the 340pd. I ran three cylinders of 125grain magnums once and called it quits. The PPS in .40 I shot was more pleasant. The Smith 329 lightweight magnum is more pleasant than the 340pd. It has a larger grip and some extra weight. I have shot many different handguns and many different loads and not much is more punishing than the 340pd. I wouldn't even shoot the Chief's special version because I could only imagine the hammer spur rolling into the index finger/thumb web. At least. the 340 enables me to get a high grip.

So there it is. A more punishing version of the Scandium J frames in .357 magnum, the 337PD. You will do well with the Walther.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    To soften the recoil of my PPS in .40 S&W, I slipped on the Limbsaver Pro Handgun grip Model 12013 onto it. This grip does wonders in both helping you to get a good firm grip on the gun, but also soften the felt effect of recoil on your hand. I learned about it on the PPS Talk online forum, as there were so many satisfied users of it posting there. Now I'm a happy camper too.

This is what the gun looks like with the Limbsaver Pro Handgun grip sleeve installed:

Only costs $10 too. Such a deal. See www.limbsaver.com

I also splurged and spent another $75 on an enhanced heavy duty recoil guide and spring assembly from DPM Systems Inc. It is available at:

http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/...roducts_id=976

This is what it looks like:

-

Out of the box, I had one FTF - last round of the first mag through it. Since then not a single problem as shot by multiple individuals. This is my EDC, and I do mean every day. Recoil is pretty stout when compared to my P99 or my dad's M&P, both in .40 S&W. But after the first 3 or 4 magazines through it, I had it figured out, and have gained confidence in it ever since.

Lance, how would you rate the DPM spring/guide system? Any problems? How much (%) would you estimate it reduces the felt recoil?
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

jyo
    I really, REALLY like my PPS in 9mm---thin, straight shooter---runs 100%---what more can I say?

40 PPS EDC for the last six months - Simply disappears and accurate, too.

Links