Question about the M&P Slide lock

This is a discussion on Question about the M&P Slide lock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my M&P 40c today. I took it home to clean it before I take it shooting. While cycling the gun a few ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about the M&P Slide lock

I just got my M&P 40c today. I took it home to clean it before I take it shooting. While cycling the gun a few times, I went to release the slide lock with my thumb and I can't push it down. Extremely tight! I have to pull both sides of the slide lock down with my other hand.

Does anyone else have this issue? I was trying to think back to my other guns so I went to try them out and have no problems pushing down on the slide lock with my thumb to chamber a round. Don't tell me I got a terd!

Senior Moderator
    You may have a gun with a bit of roughness that will work out with time.

That said, it is best to practice releasing the slide by pulling it back - in a real high pressure situation fine motor control is likely to fade.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Yeah my 9c suffered from the same problem when new...it's now much easier.

I had the same problem with my M&P .40 full size. It got easier over time.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    You may have a gun with a bit of roughness that will work out with time.

That said, it is best to practice releasing the slide by pulling it back - in a real high pressure situation fine motor control is likely to fade.

Matt

It's really no finer than having to hit a magazine release, or flicking a safety.

Are you trying to release the slide on an empty chamber? It's going to be harder on empty. It should loosen up, you can sling shot it until then, or if empty, take a little tension off the slide. Try that, hope it works. My 9c is great btw ;)
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

VIP Member
    Yes my 9c is tight(hard) also, so I just ease the slide , release the lever and then she goes.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

If you have an empty mag inserted it will be harder cause you're fighting the mag spring as well. That had me really frustrated with a PPS until I dropped the slide on a full mag and realized what was up.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    make sure your pushing down (v) on the slide release NOT over and down (---> v ) I know it sounds silly but it works better.... also it will break in in time.. My M&P40 did..... p.s..... love it!!!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by jamierah View Post
    If you have an empty mag inserted it will be harder cause you're fighting the mag spring as well. That had me really frustrated with a PPS until I dropped the slide on a full mag and realized what was up.
    +1 - With an empty mag, especially on a compact, it will take a lot more force. If it's a full mag, you'll have no resistance on the slide lock like you will when the notch in the empty magazine is pushing up on it. Try it with the magazine out.

If not the case, it'll loosen up over time.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I don't use the slide lock,I prefer to slingshot,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Yes, the mag follower makes the slide lock release much stiffer. My 4566 is a breeze with no mag or loaded mag, but a bear with an empty mag inserted. Stiff mag spring.

As far as releasing the slide, I use both the lever and slingshot methods, depending on my mood. My mind is capable of multi-tasking on releasing a slide.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Are you trying to release the slide on an empty chamber? It's going to be harder on empty. It should loosen up, you can sling shot it until then, or if empty, take a little tension off the slide. Try that, hope it works. My 9c is great btw ;)
    Yes, I was trying to release it with the chamber empty and the mag in. It won't budge. I have to pull down on both sides of the release lever to get the slide to come forward

Well this makes me feel better now that I hear it will loosen up with some rounds through it. I'm a little jumpy after having a 709 that gave me nightsweats.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyota Mike View Post
    I just got my M&P 40c today. I took it home to clean it before I take it shooting. While cycling the gun a few times, I went to release the slide lock with my thumb and I can't push it down. Extremely tight! I have to pull both sides of the slide lock down with my other hand.

Does anyone else have this issue? I was trying to think back to my other guns so I went to try them out and have no problems pushing down on the slide lock with my thumb to chamber a round. Don't tell me I got a terd!
    Thats is why it is not a slide release it's a slide stop or slide catch. It's only real practical function is to catch the slide once your mag runs empty. The Glock the XD and even the Sig's are built the same way and that is way it's best to use the sling shot method to put the gun into battery. The best way to get it to work comfortably both ways though is to break it in but you are right it is tough to manipulate especially with one hand, My duty weapon has thousands of rounds through it and two days ago when doing one handed reloads while holding a shield in my off hand I still had a hard time releasing the slide with one thumb.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links