Defensive Carry banner

Question about the M&P Slide lock

8K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  GlockJS 
#1 ·
I just got my M&P 40c today. I took it home to clean it before I take it shooting. While cycling the gun a few times, I went to release the slide lock with my thumb and I can't push it down. Extremely tight! I have to pull both sides of the slide lock down with my other hand.

Does anyone else have this issue? I was trying to think back to my other guns so I went to try them out and have no problems pushing down on the slide lock with my thumb to chamber a round. Don't tell me I got a terd!:aargh4:

#2 ·
You may have a gun with a bit of roughness that will work out with time.

That said, it is best to practice releasing the slide by pulling it back - in a real high pressure situation fine motor control is likely to fade.

Matt

#4 ·
I had the same problem with my M&P .40 full size. It got easier over time.

#6 ·
Are you trying to release the slide on an empty chamber? It's going to be harder on empty. It should loosen up, you can sling shot it until then, or if empty, take a little tension off the slide. Try that, hope it works. My 9c is great btw ;)

#7 ·
Yes my 9c is tight(hard) also, so I just ease the slide , release the lever and then she goes.

#8 ·
If you have an empty mag inserted it will be harder cause you're fighting the mag spring as well. That had me really frustrated with a PPS until I dropped the slide on a full mag and realized what was up.

#10 ·
+1 - With an empty mag, especially on a compact, it will take a lot more force. If it's a full mag, you'll have no resistance on the slide lock like you will when the notch in the empty magazine is pushing up on it. Try it with the magazine out.

If not the case, it'll loosen up over time.

#12 ·
Yes, the mag follower makes the slide lock release much stiffer. My 4566 is a breeze with no mag or loaded mag, but a bear with an empty mag inserted. Stiff mag spring.

As far as releasing the slide, I use both the lever and slingshot methods, depending on my mood. My mind is capable of multi-tasking on releasing a slide.

#15 ·
Thats is why it is not a slide release it's a slide stop or slide catch. It's only real practical function is to catch the slide once your mag runs empty. The Glock the XD and even the Sig's are built the same way and that is way it's best to use the sling shot method to put the gun into battery. The best way to get it to work comfortably both ways though is to break it in but you are right it is tough to manipulate especially with one hand, My duty weapon has thousands of rounds through it and two days ago when doing one handed reloads while holding a shield in my off hand I still had a hard time releasing the slide with one thumb.

#16 ·

From the Glock manual:

Insert a new magazine and then either push the slide stop lever (27) downwards (see photo), or pull the slide slightly backwards and allow it to spring forwards. The weapon is now again secured and ready to fire.

From the Sig P22x manual:

4. Release the slide by:
a. Pressing down on the slide catch lever or,
b. Pulling back on the slide and release

From the Colt M1911A1 manual:

j. To release the slide from the open position, it is only necessary to press upon the thumb piece of the slide stop. The slide will then go forward to its closed position carrying a cartridge from the magazine into the barrel and the pistol is ready to fire again.

From the CZ-75 manual:

When the last cartridge has been fired the slide will stay to the rear. Remove the emptied magazine and replace it with a loaded one. Thumb down the slide stop with the shooting hand (Fig. 3), or with the other hand draw back the slide and allow it to snap forward (Fig. 2). The pistol is again loaded and ready to fire.

From the HK USP manual:

3. Chamber a cartridge - Chamber a cartridge by depressing the slide release or by pulling the slide fully to the rear and releasing it. Do not ride the slide forward!

From the Beretta 92 manual:

When the last round has been fired, the slide remains open (Fig. 15).
To fire again remove the empty magazine and insert a loaded one.
Press the slide catch, to close the slide, and to load the chamber (Fig. 16).

From the Walther P99 manual:

To Load with the Slide Open
Push the magazine firmly into the magazine well, in the butt of the pistol, until the magazine catch snaps it in place. Hold the pistol securely and point it in a safe direction. Push down on the slide stop. The slide will snap forward, loading the chamber as it closes.

Just sayin'...............:smile:

#23 ·
If you are impatient about letting the parts ease up from shooting, you can take off the slide and look at the stop and notch. See where the parts interact and look for the wear pattern in the finish to tell you where to polish. Take a small tool like a tiny screwdriver and fold some emery cloth or even just some Flitz polish on cloth over the tip. Rub/polish the notch and back of the stop. Clean the area off, lube with a bit of grease if you have it (oil is fine if you don't). Reassemble, try, and repeat as needed. I think the rough finish on the parts contributes to the problem.

#25 ·
OK, I'll be the one to ask.

How come on the topic of 1911's, flipping a safety is a muscle memory thing but pushing down on the slide release to load a round all of a sudden gets to be too cumbersome?

This question doesn't go to the ones who just said to practice doing it.

EDIT: Sorry, don't mean to derail the op's original question.

It should loosen up in time. If not, going to someone who knows what they are doing with a dremel would be my best advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.