92FS or M&P?????

92FS or M&P?????

This is a discussion on 92FS or M&P????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, Trying to decide between the Beretta 92FS A1 or a Smith & Wesson M&P, both in 9mm. Will use this as an EDC ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 92FS or M&P?????

92FS or M&P?????

Hi all,

Trying to decide between the Beretta 92FS A1 or a Smith & Wesson M&P, both in 9mm. Will use this as an EDC and to shoot some IDPA/USPSA....

Thanks in advance!

Never shot an M&P, so I can't speak to them, but I have two 92FS's. One is stock and one is cleaned up and both have been flawless. They are a large heavy gun for EDC, but if the size and weight don't bother you (they don't me) you could do much worse. I use nothing but factory Beretta/MDS mags for edc and some cheaper off brand mags for practice.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Would be an M&P for me as it is a little lighter and is just cool. Still, I am not a Beretta fan at all so I am biased.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I've had a few of each and currently have the M&P. it's a very fast gun, especially with the Apex DCAEK kit. I just put some Warren two-dot sights on it today (which was insane and the hardest set I've ever worked with) and have done some dremel work on a few points and I'm really loving this gun. I use 10-8 base pads which are a bit smaller that the standard and I dremel'd the little lip at the bottom of the grip.

Both are good guns. Both are fast and both will release the slide when inserting a magazine and bumping the base pad at a 45 angle forward. Some guys work this in to training, others can't do it reliably every time. I run a number of different platforms, so I don't do it often, but for you, it's your game and carry gun, so it might not be a bad idea.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

For CCW the M&P hands down,Daughter has a 9c,I have a 45c that is a sweet gun,onea these days I'll put the apex trigger kit in
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The mag insertion slide release works fine on my 92's with stock mag base pads. It is my preferred reload slide release method.

92FS all the way
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

I have a 92FS and a M&P 40 compact. both are good guns, the way you like your trigger action is the big difference. personally I dont like a double to single action trigger but thats just preference i geuss. both are very acurate and easy to shoot. the M&P would probably be the better choice to suit your needs bc of the larger mag.

I had the Beretta in the Army. I hated the trigger - I'm just not a fan of the long heavy initial DA trigger pull, followed by the light SA trigger pull. The transition bothers me. Also not a fan of having to remember to decock the gun, after a stressful incident. Finally, the safety/decocker is backward - it seems to me that sweeping a safety to "fire" by moving it up is just counter-intuitive. I don't like thumb safeties period, but that one is really badly designed.

Of the two you listed, I would lean to the M&P.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

No contest.....for EDC, the M&P wins. It's lighter, slimmer, has more capacity, a consistent trigger and is backed by customer service that is second to none. The Beretta is a pretty gun, and reliable, but I vastly prefer a consistent trigger over DA/SA for self defense. The Beretta is also fairly thick and bulky, and overweight for a 15+1 gun in 9mm. I'd like to have one some day, because it's the handgun of our military, but I really have no practical use for one other than range fun and the "cool" factor. The INOX models are really sharp.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Size and weight would eliminate the 92 as an EDC for me, especially in "Concealed Carry only" FL. But for the range and HD, either will serve well. I assume you've at least held both and the fit is no issue.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

M&P Because it Conceals better & lighter ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

M&P is the just th ebetter gun for what you intend to use it for.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

If I had a choice, and for what you're looking for, I'd get the M&P. Not really a fan of S&W, but I've had the 92FS.....(not a fan of that either). As others have stated, bit on the heavy side for a 9mm carry (might as well carry a 45acp). As far as USPSA (IPSC), I've only seen a couple of Berettas used for competition. IDPA may be a little different as far as the course of fire, but I don't think it's as demanding as running an IPSC stage. If you're going to look at a carry AND competition pistol, I'd definitely go the M&P over the Beretta. I'd give you a third choice, but it seems you've already narrowed it down. ;)

Apples and oranges.

One is metal framed, DA/SA, and relatively large for it's capacity (15+1). The other is polymer framed, DAO, and a bit more compact yet slightly greater capacity (17+1).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links