Defensive Carry banner

Trade in Walther PPS for Kahr K9?

9K views 36 replies 26 participants last post by  Seahawk60 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, Im new here even though I have followed this site for about a year. I just wanted some peoples input on my gun situation. I have 2 guns right now, a walther pps, and a CZ P01. I have carried the Walther PPS every day for two years, and it has been a great gun. I have put about 1000 rounds through it without any problems, and I am very accurate with it. The only problem is im getting bored with it and want to carry something new. I have been looking at a kahr PM9 for a long time, but yesterday I picked up a Kahr K9 at the gun store. It was the first time I have ever seen a kahr k9 in person and I was very very impressed with how comfortable the gun is to hold. It was also allot smaller in real life than what I thought it to be in pictures I have seen. So all night long its been going through my head to possibly trade the PPS in for a Kahr K9. I would like to just buy it, but being in college I cant afford to. What has been your guys experience with the Kahr K9 and have any of you had both. I will admit that the Kahr feels more comfortable in my hand, but the trigger reach is a little short, also I trust my PPS already and will have to be starting again building trust in a gun that seems to have a hit or miss reputation.

#5 ·
Your carry gun SHOULD be boring! Boringly reliable. It sounds like your PPS is. Keep it.

I have owned three Kahr polymer pistols. All of them had issues. No way I can recommend them, though others have had better luck with them than I have.

In addition, the manual of arms would be different than you are used to - mag release in a different location, for example.

NO WAY I would make that trade.

#7 ·
Yeah.. good decision. I would tell you the same if it was the other way around, and you had a reliable Kahr that you wanted to trade for the PPS. I love my PPS, but stick with what already works for you. Once you get out of school, you will have a little extra spending cash and it gets really fun... :)

#9 ·
Keep you PPS becuase you are used to it...but layaway the K9 and get it too. The metal Kahrs are of a much better rep I hear.

#11 ·
PPS all the way!

The metal frame Kahrs are particularly nice, and feel really good in the hand. However, they are heavy little things, and the K9 is not as versatile as the PPS. With the PPS, you can use the flat basepad magazine for super concealment or pocket carry, use the standard 7 round mag with pinky baseplate for belt carry, or use the 8 round extended baseplate mag for belt carry with a good cover garment. The K9 cannot be shortened (of course) for enhanced concealment, and the mags are prone to rounds popping out of them when not inserted in the pistol. I've owned 3 Kahr 9mms, and all of the mags were like this. Never had that problem out of the Kahr .40 or .45 mags. The PPS mags, although pricey, are excellent quality. I've never had a problem out of mine.

For concealment, the only 2 grips offered for the K9 are the Hogues (rubber) and very thick wooden grip panels from Kahr. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.....the K9 and K40 go begging for good, thin, non-stick grip panels.) The Hogues stick to cover garments and compromise concealment, and the wooden ones are so thick, you might as well carry a double stack pistol and get the extra capacity. Especially if you are carrying more weight, anyway. While they are beautifully made little guns, I just can't get past the low capacity coupled with the weight of the all steel frame for such a little gun, for EDC.

Also, the trigger on the PPS has a shorter reset, and is faster to run than the Kahr. The Kahr trigger IS smooth, but I found myself short-stroking the DAO trigger on fast drills. That's not good in a self-defense scenario. I much prefer the Glock-style PPS trigger.

Don't trade. If you really want a new pistol, get a higher capacity 9mm pistol to carry in cooler months, when concealment is easy, and let them take turns on your belt. The Walther P99 would go nicely with a PPS, or a Glock 19 if you just want a different brand. But be careful about becoming bored with a gun. Get into the habit of trading guns, and you'll find that you'll quickly become bored sitting at home, because you are broke! (Voice of experience talking!) :yup:

#12 ·
I picked up a K40 the other day at the GS, and I gotta say, I almost dropped the cash on the counter right then. I went in to check out the PPS in 9mm, or the Kahr MK9. The dude said they don't have the PPS due to problems ??, but IMO the Kahr K series is a awesome mix of quality and ergonomics and I quickly lost interest in the PPS search. I'll go against the grain and say get the Kahr, it's a fine piece of craftsmanship IMO. I have the CW9 and it's a awesome 9mm for the cash spent. The K series are a good bit more, but it's worth the doh IMO. YMMV

GBK :bier:

#13 ·
I own three Kahrs (MK9, PM9, P380) and I still would say to stick with the PPS if the only issue is that you're bored with it. There's not reason you can't own both, but I wouldn't trade in a good gun.

#14 ·
The K9 is a great gun with a good reputation for reliability. There is a "Covert" model K9 that takes 6, 7 or 8 round mags as opposed to the normal 7 or 8 round mags. They are scarse though. I measured the standard grips versus the Hogue wood grips and they are the same width. Both are very comfortable. Crimson Trace makes a very good set of laser grips too. Being +P rated and able to handle recoil well beyond expectations based on it's small appearance, the K9 is an easy gun to shoot well.

The more comparable Kahr to the PPS is the polymer P9... same size as the K9, but lighter due to the difference in frame material. It too has a good reputation and is a very easy gun to carry and conceal

I can't speak to the Walther's value, because I don't own or shoot one... evidently you like it and it's been a good gun. Be cautious about making a change.

I suggest you try to find a K9 rental or someone to borrow one from to see if it's really for you.

#15 ·
I agree with the rest who say keep the PPS and add to your collection later. Why would you get rid of an outstanding pistol that has been flawless and accurate for you? Seems you need to save a bit and get the gun that you want so much. IMHO, the PPS is best in its class so I would see the move as a step down.

#17 ·
Never having shot a PPK or for that matter never having held one...I'd agree with most on this thread that you should probably keep the PPK until you graduate and then if so interested and your money situation improves, get the K9.

That being said, there was quite a lot of Vaquero 45's statements regarding the K9 I totally disagree with. While the K9 is fairly heavy for such a small pistol, being all steel, it sure as heck doesn't weight as much a Glock with a double stack 9 MM mag. That weight translates into negligible recoil with even the hottest loads. I switched my K9 to the wood hand grips and noticed no "thickness" problem, while the wood is a tad thicker it most certainly didn't feel the same as a "double stack mag" would have...!!! The Kahr has an extremely smooth DAO trigger...and I mean smooth. I was totally amazed at my results shooting it one handed, the accuracy was everything I'd want for defensive purposes. To me it's one of the easiest pistols to shoot one handed. Regarding the mag issues, the standard mag is flat bottomed for concealment, however, I added the Pierce Grips for the pinky finger support and as the gun is fairly small it really doesn't affect the conceal-ability factor at all. There is also an 8 round mag you can purchase for the K9, so all of the "stuff" regarding the PPK mag being superior I believe is a mute point. I've had 3 Kahr's now and have yet to experience the rounds falling out of the mag at any time. I've since gone to carrying the Kahr MK9...another "heavy steel" Kahr with one round less capacity, yet I feel capably armed even though I've only got 7 rounds in the gun and another 6 on my belt. IMO, both the PPK and the Kahr are outstanding guns..I just disagree with the statements made regarding the K9.

#22 ·
That being said, there was quite a lot of Vaquero 45's statements regarding the K9 I totally disagree with. While the K9 is fairly heavy for such a small pistol, being all steel, it sure as heck doesn't weight as much a Glock with a double stack 9 MM mag.
Kahr K9 = 25.0 oz with empty mag
Glock 19 = 23.45 oz with empty mag
Walther PPS = 21.28 oz with empty mag

(BTW, I'm talking about the PPS, NOT the PPK)

That weight translates into negligible recoil with even the hottest loads. I switched my K9 to the wood hand grips and noticed no "thickness" problem, while the wood is a tad thicker it most certainly didn't feel the same as a "double stack mag" would have...!!!
The grip width with the wood grip panels on a Kahr K9 is indeed just as thick as a Glock 19. The FEEL is different, because of the grip angle and length, but there is no discernible advantage in grip width with the K9. This at the expense of 8 rounds capacity! There is just no comparison in grip width between the K9 and similar pistols of polymer design, including Kahr's own CW9 or P9, or the Walther PPS.

As for concealment, the K9 will conceal a bit better than a G19 because of grip length. But at 4.5" vs the 5.0" length of the Glock 19, you give up many more rounds for 1/2" of grip length, with similar grip width. This is not the case with the PPS, (or a CW9 or P9) which is very slim throughout the grip, needing no grip panels due to the polymer construction. And, the PPS is a hair shorter with the flat baseplate mag in place. It's also lighter than the K9, at 21.28 oz with an empty mag. The Kahr polymer offerings are even lighter yet.

The Kahr has an extremely smooth DAO trigger...and I mean smooth. I was totally amazed at my results shooting it one handed, the accuracy was everything I'd want for defensive purposes. To me it's one of the easiest pistols to shoot one handed. Regarding the mag issues, the standard mag is flat bottomed for concealment, however, I added the Pierce Grips for the pinky finger support and as the gun is fairly small it really doesn't affect the conceal-ability factor at all. There is also an 8 round mag you can purchase for the K9, so all of the "stuff" regarding the PPK mag being superior I believe is a mute point. I've had 3 Kahr's now and have yet to experience the rounds falling out of the mag at any time. I've since gone to carrying the Kahr MK9...another "heavy steel" Kahr with one round less capacity, yet I feel capably armed even though I've only got 7 rounds in the gun and another 6 on my belt. IMO, both the PPK and the Kahr are outstanding guns..I just disagree with the statements made regarding the K9.
If you don't have the mag problems that I had, you've got a great pistol. Me being a more practical sort, I like to see weight, size and capacity in balance. If I'm going low capacity, I want to justify the reduced round count with a lighter, slimmer pistol to maximize concealment potential. If I'm going through the trouble of concealing a heavy pistol (for its size), with a thick grip, I'm going to go ahead and select something with more capacity.

Having owned a K40 in the past, I have the personal experience to tell you that I actually was able to more easily conceal a Smith & Wesson M&P 40 compact than the K40, with either the Hogue grip or the wood grip panels, both of which I tried. The grip was shorter with the M&P, it was slimmer in the grip (the slide was a bit thicker), and 10+1 capacity in the M&P vs 6+1 in the K40 was no contest. In addition, the M&P was lighter than the K40, and shot a lot softer due to the polymer frame. The short reset trigger was worlds better than any long DAO trigger for defensive work....no matter how smooth it is.

I guess I consider the metal frame Kahrs to be like Smith & Wesson .357 snubs. Beautifully made, great to own and feel really great in the hand. But for practical purposes for EDC, I can get more capacity and a less weight in a reliable modern polymer platform. Maybe I'm just not "old school." :smile:

#20 ·
Ditto, I wouldn't trade in a proven reliable gun (especially if it's one that I'm comfortable carrying) just because I'm bored with it. If you trade and find out you don't like "carrying" the extra weight of the K9, you will then be sorry you traded. PPS is reliable and you are obviously comfortable carrying it. Keep it. Put the K9 on layaway as someone else said, and make payments on it. In time it will be yours and you havn't lost your boring PPS in the process.

#21 ·
I have carried the same gun since I bought it new 18 years ago. Its very reliable, and it fits my hand. What make/model/caliber is unemportant. What is important: I can pull it out and put a couple of shots in the 10 ring at 25' in under a second.
Let me draw an anology. I offshore troll for fish. I learned how nearly 30 years ago, and caught fish almost every time out. I still use the same bait because it works for me. My fishing buddies come aboard with their lastest and greatest lure$, and my 30 yr old stuff outfishes them.
Moral of teh story: if it works for you, don't change it.

#23 ·
I am fortunate to own two Kahr CW9s and a PPS in 9mm---all three are 100% now after a minor problem with both Kahrs---I use the CW9s more because one is mine and the other is my wife's---this way either of us can pick-up and shoot the pistol in times of need---I could do the same with the PPS, but my wife is not so eager to learn multiple guns---keeping it simple!

#25 ·
I wouldn't trade one for the other especially if the original is something you are very comfortable with.

That being said, IMO my Kahr CW9 is far better than the PPSs that I have had a chance to handle and shoot. The only reason I would choose the PPS is that it is cooler looking.

#26 ·
I have a Kahr PM9 with thousands of rounds through it. I carry it every day. Is it boring? Sure, because I TRUST it and it NEVER surprises me at the range.

PM9 or not, I'd never trade off ANY perfectly good, reliable carry gun because it got "boring". If someone gets "bored", they need to drop the video game/ADHD mentality. :rolleyes:

#29 ·
I have a Kahr PM9 with thousands of rounds through it. I carry it every day. Is it boring? Sure, because I TRUST it and it NEVER surprises me at the range.

PM9 or not, I'd never trade off ANY perfectly good, reliable carry gun because it got "boring". If someone gets "bored", they need to drop the video game/ADHD mentality. :rolleyes:

Im sorry who are you? I must have missed the rule somewhere that says I am forever bound to carry the first ccw gun I ever buy. Theres allot of guns out there and I would like to find out what else I might like, possibly even like more than what I have now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.