Trade in Walther PPS for Kahr K9?

This is a discussion on Trade in Walther PPS for Kahr K9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, Im new here even though I have followed this site for about a year. I just wanted some peoples input on my gun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade in Walther PPS for Kahr K9?

Trade in Walther PPS for Kahr K9?

Hey everyone, Im new here even though I have followed this site for about a year. I just wanted some peoples input on my gun situation. I have 2 guns right now, a walther pps, and a CZ P01. I have carried the Walther PPS every day for two years, and it has been a great gun. I have put about 1000 rounds through it without any problems, and I am very accurate with it. The only problem is im getting bored with it and want to carry something new. I have been looking at a kahr PM9 for a long time, but yesterday I picked up a Kahr K9 at the gun store. It was the first time I have ever seen a kahr k9 in person and I was very very impressed with how comfortable the gun is to hold. It was also allot smaller in real life than what I thought it to be in pictures I have seen. So all night long its been going through my head to possibly trade the PPS in for a Kahr K9. I would like to just buy it, but being in college I cant afford to. What has been your guys experience with the Kahr K9 and have any of you had both. I will admit that the Kahr feels more comfortable in my hand, but the trigger reach is a little short, also I trust my PPS already and will have to be starting again building trust in a gun that seems to have a hit or miss reputation.

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't. The PPS has a greater reputation for reliability and durability over the Kahr. You've got a good gun, I'd keep it.

Keep the PPS and buy a Kahr you deserve both. Most gunshops have some lin of layaway plan buy it a little at a time.

There is no way I would trade the PPS for a Khar. I know you said you get bored but you would better off figuring another way to kill the bordome than downgrading your EDC.

Your carry gun SHOULD be boring! Boringly reliable. It sounds like your PPS is. Keep it.

I have owned three Kahr polymer pistols. All of them had issues. No way I can recommend them, though others have had better luck with them than I have.

In addition, the manual of arms would be different than you are used to - mag release in a different location, for example.

NO WAY I would make that trade.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Well looks like we solved that. PPS stays. Thanks guys, I kind of thought that would be the answer.

Yeah.. good decision. I would tell you the same if it was the other way around, and you had a reliable Kahr that you wanted to trade for the PPS. I love my PPS, but stick with what already works for you. Once you get out of school, you will have a little extra spending cash and it gets really fun... :-)

I shoot the little PPS better and more accurate than any other handgun I own. It is my EDC and a great gun. Some people dislike the trigger, but it works great for me.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Keep you PPS becuase you are used to it...but layaway the K9 and get it too. The metal Kahrs are of a much better rep I hear.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    If the PPS is working for you keep it. However, if starting from scratch, I'd chose a K9 over the PPS anyday.
    "Just blame Sixto"

PPS all the way!

The metal frame Kahrs are particularly nice, and feel really good in the hand. However, they are heavy little things, and the K9 is not as versatile as the PPS. With the PPS, you can use the flat basepad magazine for super concealment or pocket carry, use the standard 7 round mag with pinky baseplate for belt carry, or use the 8 round extended baseplate mag for belt carry with a good cover garment. The K9 cannot be shortened (of course) for enhanced concealment, and the mags are prone to rounds popping out of them when not inserted in the pistol. I've owned 3 Kahr 9mms, and all of the mags were like this. Never had that problem out of the Kahr .40 or .45 mags. The PPS mags, although pricey, are excellent quality. I've never had a problem out of mine.

For concealment, the only 2 grips offered for the K9 are the Hogues (rubber) and very thick wooden grip panels from Kahr. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.....the K9 and K40 go begging for good, thin, non-stick grip panels.) The Hogues stick to cover garments and compromise concealment, and the wooden ones are so thick, you might as well carry a double stack pistol and get the extra capacity. Especially if you are carrying more weight, anyway. While they are beautifully made little guns, I just can't get past the low capacity coupled with the weight of the all steel frame for such a little gun, for EDC.

Also, the trigger on the PPS has a shorter reset, and is faster to run than the Kahr. The Kahr trigger IS smooth, but I found myself short-stroking the DAO trigger on fast drills. That's not good in a self-defense scenario. I much prefer the Glock-style PPS trigger.

Don't trade. If you really want a new pistol, get a higher capacity 9mm pistol to carry in cooler months, when concealment is easy, and let them take turns on your belt. The Walther P99 would go nicely with a PPS, or a Glock 19 if you just want a different brand. But be careful about becoming bored with a gun. Get into the habit of trading guns, and you'll find that you'll quickly become bored sitting at home, because you are broke! (Voice of experience talking!)
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I picked up a K40 the other day at the GS, and I gotta say, I almost dropped the cash on the counter right then. I went in to check out the PPS in 9mm, or the Kahr MK9. The dude said they don't have the PPS due to problems ??, but IMO the Kahr K series is a awesome mix of quality and ergonomics and I quickly lost interest in the PPS search. I'll go against the grain and say get the Kahr, it's a fine piece of craftsmanship IMO. I have the CW9 and it's a awesome 9mm for the cash spent. The K series are a good bit more, but it's worth the doh IMO. YMMV

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I own three Kahrs (MK9, PM9, P380) and I still would say to stick with the PPS if the only issue is that you're bored with it. There's not reason you can't own both, but I wouldn't trade in a good gun.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The K9 is a great gun with a good reputation for reliability. There is a "Covert" model K9 that takes 6, 7 or 8 round mags as opposed to the normal 7 or 8 round mags. They are scarse though. I measured the standard grips versus the Hogue wood grips and they are the same width. Both are very comfortable. Crimson Trace makes a very good set of laser grips too. Being +P rated and able to handle recoil well beyond expectations based on it's small appearance, the K9 is an easy gun to shoot well.

The more comparable Kahr to the PPS is the polymer P9... same size as the K9, but lighter due to the difference in frame material. It too has a good reputation and is a very easy gun to carry and conceal

I can't speak to the Walther's value, because I don't own or shoot one... evidently you like it and it's been a good gun. Be cautious about making a change.

I suggest you try to find a K9 rental or someone to borrow one from to see if it's really for you.

I agree with the rest who say keep the PPS and add to your collection later. Why would you get rid of an outstanding pistol that has been flawless and accurate for you? Seems you need to save a bit and get the gun that you want so much. IMHO, the PPS is best in its class so I would see the move as a step down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links