LassrMax Guide Rod Laser

This is a discussion on LassrMax Guide Rod Laser within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any experience with LaserMax guide rod lasers? I recently got a great deal on a Glock 30 from a co-worker, with the LaserMax ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LassrMax Guide Rod Laser

JT [OP]

LassrMax Guide Rod Laser

Anyone have any experience with LaserMax guide rod lasers?

I recently got a great deal on a Glock 30 from a co-worker, with the LaserMax thrown in. It was a great price for the Glock alone without the LaserMax.

I’ll try the LaserMax out since there’s no harm in leaving it in, as long as the guide rod itself is reliable. Which is my biggest concern, however unlikely it may be. I can live with the laser going out, but not with a guide rod that causes malfunctions.

I do remember hearing criticism about guide rod lasers, but I think it was from a distributor that doesn’t sell them, and I don’t remember what the criticism was.

This is the model I have:

http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=7
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    The LaserMax parts meet or exceed Glock factory specs so that should not be any concern.
    For sure I would keep it installed since you got such a sweet deal on it. .

VIP Member
    I'm not sure if it's because I'm old-school or cheap, but I haven't gone laser yet. I will admit that I'm a little envious and have researched them (LaserMax) a bit. Some say that they wont zero, and others say you need to spin them around a little until they do. If I were to laser my Glock, the LaserMax is what I'd prefer, and I am starting to keep my head up for a deal on one for a G19. I've never read any complaints regarding the guide rod.

seems like those would be impossible to keep zero'd, but apparently they work. I know they are proud of them at 3 to 3.5 bills. Do you have to hit a button to turn those on? That the great thing about Crimson Trace and their pressure switch type design. I would like to see what kind of replies you get.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    seems like those would be impossible to keep zero'd, but apparently they work. I know they are proud of them at 3 to 3.5 bills. Do you have to hit a button to turn those on? That the great thing about Crimson Trace and their pressure switch type design. I would like to see what kind of replies you get.
    I do believe it is activated by the takedown switch on the slide. You simply push down on it.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

There are some interesting comparisons of the CT and Lasermax on youtube. They show the Lasermax as a low energy green laser and the CT as a higher energy red one.
    check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONWwBDwydR8
    and see what you think. I like the CT Laserguard on my Glock 26. I would definitely keep the setup you have if it were mine. The price was right for you and you got a good deal but If I was buying a laser again, I would go with the CT laserguard. The only down side is that it changes the pistol profile which will likely change your holster options. CrossBreed does make holsters for Glocks with CT Laserguard.

Administrator
    The LaserMax units for the Glocks require no adjustment to zero. If for any reason it does match your POI then send it in to LaserMax and they will send another unit out to you at no cost.

The 1911 LaserMax units usually need to be zeroed to each individual pistol and are adjustable.

Would I run out and spend 3 bills for one? Probably not.
    I do have one in a Glock 36 and I bought it in used condition and at a truly sweet price.

Will you ever need it for the majority of self defense scenarios that you are likely to encounter? ~ Probably not.

Are there a few types of self-defense scenarios and threat situations where it would be nicer to have available one than to not have one? ~ I think so.

So...basically it depends on how fat your wallet & paycheck are as to if you should invest in one or not.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I can't explain it but I tend to shoot better with with out a laser than with one. My wife however is exactally the opposite. Go figure..
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

JT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    I do believe it is activated by the takedown switch on the slide. You simply push down on it.
    It comes with a replacement takedown lever that you push to the left or right to turn on the laser.

I've never been compelled enough to put out the money for a laser (but have been tempted for my 642), but I have to admit that now that I have one, it's pretty cool.

Thanks everyone, for the input.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I think they look cool and I'd like to have one of these lasers if not for the $$$. However the last two times I've been to the range someone has been shooting with one and the thing bounces all over the place. I also think they can do harm because you'll depend on the laser and forget how to use traditional sites. Anyways just my two cents.

Senior Moderator
    I carry one on duty with a G21.

I like it. Never had any issues with it. I've never had to use it as such, but it played hell with the cats that I had.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by azpostal View Post
    I think they look cool and I'd like to have one of these lasers if not for the $$$. However the last two times I've been to the range someone has been shooting with one and the thing bounces all over the place.
    - More than likely, their gun is already bouncing around all over the place. The laser simply gives you instant feedback on what exactly they are doing. This is one reason it can be extremely useful for training and practice.

Quote Originally Posted by azpostal View Post
    I also think they can do harm because you'll depend on the laser and forget how to use traditional sites. Anyways just my two cents.
    - A laser should simply be another tool in your toolbox. It definitely should not replace training with traditional sights or point shooting.

I have a LaserMax on my SA XD40 SC and love it. Have over 1,000 rounds through it so far and no problem with laser or guide rod.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I have had a Lasermax internal laser on my G19, and an ArmaLaser on my PM9. Of them all, I like the Crimson Trace the best, because they come on simply be gripping the gun normally. I had no issues with my Lasermax, but just prefer the CT units. I have them on all my carry guns now...Lasergrip on my G19 (so I can mount a light for home defense), and Laserguards on my G26 and both LCPs.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I installed one in my wife's uncle's G27. So ofcourse he let me shoot it. It was dead on at 15 yards. It comes with a new slide lock and slide lock spring. The slide lock is slightly wider than the stock Glock lock (hey, that rhymes). I'm not sure if that would be an issue with tightly molded holsters. Personally, if I were to ever go down that laser path (doubt that I will), I would get something like Crimson Trace. I would want that laser on when I grip the firearm.

I don't want to start a laser debate, because even though I don't have any, I do see their benefits.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links