SIG 220 trigger reach

This is a discussion on SIG 220 trigger reach within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was able to fondle a SIG 220 Carry today at my local shop. It had nice balance and it felt great in my hands, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIG 220 trigger reach

Distinguished Member

SIG 220 trigger reach

I was able to fondle a SIG 220 Carry today at my local shop. It had nice balance and it felt great in my hands, the only problem with it is that it was SA and I'd prefer DA/SA like my 228. I'm concerned with what the reach would be like in DA, it seems like it might be longer which wouldn't work with my short fingers.

Can anyone tell me if the DA reach on a carry or full size 220 with standard grips and a standard trigger is comparable to a 228/229 with the same set up? Or is it a longer reach?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I was able to fondle a SIG 220 Carry today at my local shop. It had nice balance and it felt great in my hands, the only problem with it is that it was SA and I'd prefer DA/SA like my 228. I'm concerned with what the reach would be like in DA, it seems like it might be longer which wouldn't work with my short fingers.

Can anyone tell me if the DA reach on a carry or full size 220 with standard grips and a standard trigger is comparable to a 228/229 with the same set up? Or is it a longer reach?
    To my thinking (and I've handle the regular P220 DA/SA), and I have a P220 SOA (single action only). Being the 45acp pistol will have a larger grip and may increase the length of pull (even being a single stack as compared to staggered column mag well), I'm almost sure the triggers and LOP (length of pull) are the same for the DA/SA SIG as the SAO SIG. Thing I like about my SIG is that it has a trigger reset much like my Glocks. You can get an SRT (short reset trigger) for the DA/SA models, but not for the SAO models. Thing is, this won't actually decrease the overall length of pull.....just the distance needed to hit the reset point. Maybe I'm not answering the question. Maybe I just don't know enough about SIGs in general. Just that your post went too long without a reply and I thought I might help. There should be somewhere that you could actually check manufacturer specs on the models. We'll see. There used to be a SIG forum. I haven't been there in a long time. Google it and see what you come up with.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks RamRod. You're comments about the longer pull is what I was thinking too. The grip was definitely thinner as a single stack but it felt slightly longer front to back. The SA pull was right on for me but not as close as my SA on my 228 which made me think the DA would be too long for me.

I did poke around on the Sig forum but didn't come up with anything.

SIG has a short trigger, different than the SRT, that does shorten reach. The thinner alum grips help as well. I have both on my 228 to get a perfect feel for me. I can get the same on the 220 but if it's too long to begin with it obviously won't help. But the more I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure I want to buy something I can't hold first regardless of it's dimensions. I'm just going to have to keep looking.

Well, you've obviously been doing a lot of research on this yourself. Yeah....the SIG forum wasn't really an overly active forum. Looked into it when I was thinking of getting one myself, and after I got my P220 SAO. I've found this forum a much better place overall and haven't been back there since. No sense in getting anything you can't hold nor handle for sure. That's the main reason I've loved going to gun shows for so many years.......you can pick them up and handle them (usually). I don't really know if you get those kind of opportunities where you live. Another thing....customs. Not sure on who does what for SIG customs. Surely there has to be someone since SIG ranks highly. I'm completely satisfied with mine just the way it is, and my wife absolutely loves it. She shot it today at the range matter of fact. I'm almost sure you could get some work done that would make what you really wanted work for you. Granted, it may not come that way from the factory now. A couple of years from now....who knows? I'm still awaiting rubber, wrap around...finger groove grips for my P220 SAO (nobody makes them at this time). Right now getting by on the Hogue slip on grip. The OEM grip just didn't seem full enough in my hand (and since I'm more used to double stack grip width anyway) and loved the finger groove wrap around rubber grips on my previous 1911s.
    It will all come together in due time. I'm sure of it.

Distinguished Member
    We haven't had gun shows in this area for quite a while due to the old county administration. The new administration brought them back but I think it's only one a year and it has already passed.

Oh well, no biggie, somethings aren't meant to be, there maybe something better for me around the corner.

Our circumstances, more often than not, lead us in the best direction. Often times, we cherish most what we find when conditions appear to be against us doing so. I wish you the best of everything.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Our circumstances, more often than not, lead us in the best direction. Often times, we cherish most what we find when conditions appear to be against us doing so.
    You are a very wise man. :)

I wish you the best of everything.
    Thank you! I wish you the same.

Distinguished Member
    Well I was able to rent a 220 fill size, plastic grips and short trigger, at the range today and I can now say that it's reach is about the same as my 228. I had no issues manipulating it or shooting it. I actually think I was more accurate with it, but follow up shots were slower. Shooting my 228 after that felt like a pellet gun. LOL

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Fastk9Dad:

SIG does sell a shorter trigger for people with smaller hands or that simply want a shorter trigger pull distance. However, this Short Trigger is NOT compatible with older Model P220 pistols. It can only be installed on the newer model P220's that have a rail on the gun

But if you do have a newer gun, it will definitely give you the shorter trigger that you are looking for. Here is a link to this part, which can be ordered direct from SIG:

http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/Sho...9&productid=92

Well, glad you got to try it out. The P228 is like a compact version of the P226 if I'm thinking correctly. I also figure you had the standard P220 (DA/SA) for the range time. May be the SIG line as a whole, but I do know my P220 SAO is the most accurate 45acp pistol I've shot. No experience with any other SIG pistols myself. I do like the mass of the stainless steel slide over the alloy frame on my full size. Just about the perfect balance that I could almost rule out looking into a compact or carry version of the same for me personally. Follow-up shots with the P220? Like I've said, I tend to ride the trigger reset on mine just like my Glocks. Wouldn't know how well the standard DA/SA SIGs feel. I can imagine your P228 feeling like a pellet pistol after that.
    So.......is the P220 getting put on your Christmas wish list now? LOL!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Fastk9Dad:

SIG does sell a shorter trigger for people with smaller hands or that simply want a shorter trigger pull distance. However, this Short Trigger is NOT compatible with older Model P220 pistols. It can only be installed on the newer model P220's that have a rail on the gun

But if you do have a newer gun, it will definitely give you the shorter trigger that you are looking for. Here is a link to this part, which can be ordered direct from SIG:

http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/Sho...9&productid=92
    Thanks. I knew they had the short trigger but wasn't aware it could be put on older guns. The first store I went to only had Equinox or Elites with wood grips and they were way too big for my hands regardless of the trigger it had, which is what prompted my first question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well, glad you got to try it out. The P228 is like a compact version of the P226 if I'm thinking correctly. I also figure you had the standard P220 (DA/SA) for the range time. May be the SIG line as a whole, but I do know my P220 SAO is the most accurate 45acp pistol I've shot. No experience with any other SIG pistols myself. I do like the mass of the stainless steel slide over the alloy frame on my full size. Just about the perfect balance that I could almost rule out looking into a compact or carry version of the same for me personally. Follow-up shots with the P220? Like I've said, I tend to ride the trigger reset on mine just like my Glocks. Wouldn't know how well the standard DA/SA SIGs feel. I can imagine your P228 feeling like a pellet pistol after that.
    So.......is the P220 getting put on your Christmas wish list now? LOL!
    Yes the 228 is 3/8" shorter than the 226 IIRC, everything else being equal.

Yup, it was the DA/SA model and it shot just like my 228. Follow ups were slower because of the extra recoil. It wasn't bad just took a little getting used it.

I do want the shorter slide, so yeah, a 220 Carry will be on my Christmas list. :)

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    still havent sent my 220 off for work!! grrr.
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    still havent sent my 220 off for work!! grrr.
    :(

I thought about you at the range. No problem chambering the rental.

I carry the 229 for work and the 220 carry off duty and it not only shoots well...as you have already experienced...it conceals well also. I really like my 229 (just not a fan of the caliber) and I can't really tell the difference between my 229 and 220 as far as trigger pull goes. However, the recoil of the 220 handling a big round like the 45 is minimal. That's what sold me on the gun. I can get used to triggers but the recoil...or lack thereof is what impressed me the most on the 220. All in all, it's just an amazing weapon!

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    :(

I thought about you at the range. No problem chambering the rental.
    just had a guy try and kick my front door down, didnt grab the sig cuz of this.
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links