Educate me me about the Glock 27

This is a discussion on Educate me me about the Glock 27 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My local shop has one of these used and they're asking $375 OTD its just the gun,no box and both mags. Its clean and I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My local shop has one of these used and they're asking $375 OTD its just the gun,no box and both mags. Its clean and I know its an older model because it doesn't have the loaded chamber indicator and the slide reads ".40 S&W" instead of the ".40" like the newer ones. Is there any reason why Glock started roll marking them this way and omitting the "S&W" from it? I think it is kinda coll actually.

Also one of the magazines has a pearce +2 base plate,do the G27 owners here like the extended base plates or are they a reliability issue? Last thing how is the recoil in these? And should I be worried about kabooms? I don't reload and would only be using factory ammo thanks.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

To me, the recoils isn't bad......it's manageable. I've been shooting the G27 almost ten years now. Lately It's my EDC. The slide on my G27 reads '.40' and does not have the loaded chamber indicator (LCI) extractor. My serial starts with DSD and it's a third generation (finger groove grip) Glock. I don't know why Glock dropped the S&W part off their markings, but my G23 doesn't have that either. Only reason I could think of is that the S&W mark does relate (however remotely) to a competitor (S&W). No reliability issues with the Pearce + extensions actually.....thing is, I don't think the +2 bases were made for the G27. Best I've found are the PG-2733 (+1), and the PG-26 (+0). I like the PG-26 better. Not really a fan either way, but they do work fine when installed correctly. Although the Glocks were built to last, think you've found about a 12 year old pistol. Thinking $375 for the pistol and 2 magazines is a good deal lies entirely with you. I'd say not bad, but try to do better or get something extra. What kind of sights does it have installed? 10-12 year old night sights would need replaced IMO.

I LOVE my G27!!!! I don't care for grip extensions, if you want a bigger gun get a 23 or 22 IMO. Some say recoil is a little snappy but i don't think it's too bad, very managable. The one your looking at must be 10+ years in age to have the S&W markings. Price seems a little high for that old of a gun.

I say try to work in a few extra mags. But even if you can't, in my area, thats pretty decent.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I bought a year old G23, with about 1000 rounds through it, for $450.

Offer 'em $325 cash and see what happens.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Dont know about all the .40 S&W stuff, but I have a 27 and love it. To me the re-coil is very mild. Somewhat snappy, but no problem at all. I wouldnt put $375.00 in a 10 year old gun. 27s can be had new for $490.00. Save another $125.00 and get a new is what I would do. If you dont like the short grip dont bother with the 27. Get a 23 instead.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    My local shop has one of these used and they're asking $375 OTD its just the gun,no box and both mags. Its clean and I know its an older model because it doesn't have the loaded chamber indicator and the slide reads ".40 S&W" instead of the ".40" like the newer ones. Is there any reason why Glock started roll marking them this way and omitting the "S&W" from it? I think it is kinda coll actually.

Also one of the magazines has a pearce +2 base plate,do the G27 owners here like the extended base plates or are they a reliability issue? Last thing how is the recoil in these? And should I be worried about kabooms? I don't reload and would only be using factory ammo thanks.
    I have a Generation 2.5 Model 27, Birth Date Late 1996, so for all practical purposes, it is one of the first, as the G27 was introduced in late 1995, and it has .40, without the S&W, so I doubt the 27's ever had S&W on them.

As for the gun, I bought it for my BUG as a Gen 2 G22 was my primary, and it is on it's second set of night sights, I honestly don't know how many rounds through it, but it is a good four digit #, and to date not the first jam, malfunction, or glitch of any kind. I use a Pearce extension, but not the Pearce +1, just the hollow extension, and it is great. I don't like the Pearce +1 or the Scherer +2 (they do make +2) extensions as they add to much bulk to the grip for little to no return (1-2 rounds?). I'm fine with just the 9 +1 in the pipe and a place to put my pinky.

The recoil is very managable, as these are not extremely light or small pistols. Yes, they are comfortably light, and easy to carry small, but nothing like a Kahr PM or LCP and such.

I have recently started carrying J frames and K frames alot. But I recently went on vacation with my family out of state, and my G27 IWB, with a 15 round G22 magazine in my back pocket. If I knew I was going to need a gun, couldn't avoid it, couldn't get a shotgun, etc......had to utilize a pistol, I'd want my G22, or just as well my G27, I shoot it just as good. I can't give a better recomendation than that.

Don't fret on the Kabooms, given the thousands, thousands, and thousands of Glock in military use, police use, and civilian use around the world, and the nonexistance of Kabooms except for the same few that go around on email, I'm not concerned.

$375 is not bad, but not a stellar used price either, if it has good night sights then it is a pretty good price. Sans night sights, if it is in really good condition, and you want it, then I'd buy it, if you are in no hurry, you may be able to find a little better deal, $25-50 cheaper or so.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    I have a Generation 2.5 Model 27, Birth Date Late 1996, so for all practical purposes, it is one of the first, as the G27 was introduced in late 1995, and it has .40, without the S&W, so I doubt the 27's ever had S&W on them.
    I was thinking the same thing actually. Don't honestly know. We'll find out for sure one way or another.
    You know that Glock does mark the barrel and the slide. Maybe the barrel was marked differently at some point in time? I love interesting conversation about the Glocks! I like to learn all that I can.

Not a bad deal. The thing with Glocks is that when you can buy new online for $460 or so, you're not going to find them half price used for $230 or something. There is a limited markdown you're going to see. I keep hearing about these used Glocks for $300 but I've sure never seen them. They wouldn't last long if I did.

The .40 SW is a little "snappier" in a subcompact gun but is definitely manageable. I say if you want it and think it's what you're looking for, go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by adaman04 View Post
    Not a bad deal. The thing with Glocks is that when you can buy new online for $460 or so, you're not going to find them half price used for $230 or something. There is a limited markdown you're going to see. I keep hearing about these used Glocks for $300 but I've sure never seen them. They wouldn't last long if I did.
    I've never heard about those actually. I know a few places a person can get good deals on police trade ins. One of them is http://www.ombguns.com/
    and http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html
    Thing is...the market. Since CC or carry, the market has changed dramatically. Guy called me yesterday about finding some Ivory grips for his Beretta Stampede in 45LC. I gave him a few resources to look into. He said he thought he got a really good deal on it and fell in love. I told him he did get a good deal on it for sure. Then I told him why......the ammo will be harder to find, and the market is going to the smaller more compact pistols in semi auto. He was still tickled to know he got a good deal. We talked about a lot in 30 minutes. I even gave some tips on finding ammo for the 45LC at little hide outs such as the farmer's coops and little feed stores across this country that still have some of that ammo on their shelves at yesterday's prices. You never know. What I do know is that (obviously), the carry pistols are in higher demand these days. Obviously (again) are the smaller, more punch for the money, "concealable" pistols. $375 isn't bad when you consider everything else pertaining to the current 'market' and availability. Any Glock that could be had for $300 would either have a BOLO behind it (stolen or throw down), or the current owner just absolutely hated it and wanted to get rid of it not knowing the market and the going price or didn't care. I'm just sayin'.

sfo
    or you could join the GSSF and get one brand new for $425

Quote Originally Posted by sfo View Post
    Now there's a novel idea! Span of $50 over the used pistol......brand new, $125 off retail price for $35 yearly membership. Do the math. Hey.....I can't think of everything on short notice. That's why we're a forum. We compliment each other!

sfo
    plus you get to shoot in any GSSF matches and can take the Glock Armorer's course. i joined after buying my 26 AT FULL PRICE! then shot the comp last January here in Vegas. it was a great well put together comp. wish someone told me about it before i got my 26. i paid like $650 with nite sites OTD.

Quote Originally Posted by sfo View Post
    This is the plan I'd shoot for (pardon the pun)......and have a brand new gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I was thinking the same thing actually. Don't honestly know. We'll find out for sure one way or another.
    You know that Glock does mark the barrel and the slide. Maybe the barrel was marked differently at some point in time? I love interesting conversation about the Glocks! I like to learn all that I can.
    Ironically, I was thinking this same thing too, about the slide and barrel markings. First I thought, "well it must be an aftermarket barrel, which would explain the addition of S&W". But if I'm reading 1911luver's post correctly then it is the slide that is marked 40 S&W, so I'm drawing a blank.

$375 isn't bad when you consider everything else pertaining to the current 'market' and availability.
    I agree with that too, that is why I said if he likes it he should buy it, especially if it has night sights!

Yeah, you can find them cheaper, so that might not be the best deal, but it'll take time and you won't get much lower. IMHO, If I like it, I'd rather pay than spend 6 months to hopefully find one a little cheaper, like I posted, "mayfind a little better deal" before.

I'm like you Ram Rod , I love a good Glock conversation.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links