Defensive Carry banner

Change???!!!

3K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  Dragman 
#1 ·
Ok, I had an interesting day at work today. My current EDC pistol is a SC9mm XD and I have a matching partner for a bedroom piece My 45XDM. I have a few others but those are my always loaded guns. I have been saving for a new 1911 in 45 or 10mm because they are just awesome! I have owned lots of different platforms, but never a Smith and Wesson M&P and now I have a trade offer. I really like the XD line, but would like to try the M&P's. Here is the offers two guys I know wanna deal my XDM45 thats a month old for his M&P full size 40 thats a couple months old. Both of the guns are mint and he is kicking in some $$$ too. Second offer his friend wants to buy my SC9 XD. With what guy two will give me for my 9mm and the extra that guy one is kicking for the trade I can buy a new compact M&P too. So I will have two M&P's a carry and a full size for my two XD's. What do I do????

Second problem, I want a 45 or 10mm in a 1911 and I can't settle on what one I want. I have about $1200 for the purchase and can't make a firm pick!

This is what I love and have about guns! I love them all but can't afford them all!!!! :aargh4:

#2 ·
Don't know what to say about your XD/M&P conundrum.

But, if I had $1200 for a 1911... Dan Wesson

#6 ·
Unfortunately $1200 isn't going to get you a CBOB anymore, even if you can find one. They were discontinued for 2010. Replaced by the VBOB which are going for between $1500-1700.

There are still plenty of good 1911's on the market for under the $1200 you already have.

#17 ·
I have a Dan Wesson RZ45 Heritage Stainless with black polymer grips, Front Tritium w/ white target ring rear sights. (2) 8+1 mags. New in the box. It's in your budget.

PM me.

#4 ·
My opinion may be a little biased but I sold my scXD to fund a compact M&P, since then I've never looked back. I've got a full size and compact M&P. The full size only gets carried during the colder months when a good cover garment can be worn. I love the M&P a million times more than my xd. It doesn't feel as boxy as the xd and points much more naturally for me.

I'd say make the trade, just be sure that no matter what you decide you're happy.

I don't know enough about 1911's to help you there.

#5 ·
I need to shoot an M&P tomorrow to know for sure if I want the trade. As far as the 1911 Kimbers are pretty far up on the list I have shot a few and do like them just not sold yet.

#8 ·
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
well $1200 is a guide line not a must. If I find a great deal or something I can't live without thats under say $1500 I will buy it. I really want to play with some dan wessons!!! I have shot a few colts and I am not sure if I want to go there again at the moment. I have owned RIA's and Taurus's and I liked them fine just looking to go a little better this time. Two of my best friends have kimbers on order and I have been looking hard at them just not sure cuz they have lots of hatters! I haven't found any issues yet myself. these are the kimbers I am looking into.

#11 ·
I love my XD40sc and never tried a M&P, so I can't really speak to the comparison. It all boils down to what feels good and fits good in yor hand and looks good to your eye, which hopefully translates into better performance for you.

I've also been wanting a 1911 for a while now. I've got 11 handguns of all shapes, types, sizes, and calibers but no .45ACP or 1911. That is about to change for me. I'm in the process of purchasing a Rock Island Armory 1911 from a DC member here as my entry into the 1911 platform. For $300 (including 5 mags and Serpa holster), it should give me an idea of what to expect and what I do or don't like about it without dropping a ton of money. If it isn't the harmonic tuning fork going off in my heart I should be able to get out of it without taking a beating. If it is the magic love affair with the 1911 platform, I'm sure it won't be my last. I just decided to crawl into it before I walk or run.

#12 ·
I have lots of guns so I am not afraid of the 10mm and ammo is around double VS normal. The RIA is a great gun never should have sold mine! I would get another just want a little more flash and better function

#15 ·
I've never understood the notch cut off the back strap on higher end 1911's.
It allows the concealing garment to slide over the rear edge of the gun easier, thus aiding in concealment.

Compared to the roundness of the revolver, for lack of better teminology, the "bottomfeeder" is square and harder to conceal. The "bob" helps to break up the outline of the gun and helps prevent snagging your concealing garment on the edge of the gun.

Biker

#19 ·
Ok I just got off the phone with my gun smith and he suggested I buy another RIA or a new Taurus 1911 and put $250-300 in parts and work into it. He claims (I tend to believe him) with some upgraded parts and some time in the shop he will make the gun perform right in line with $1500 off the self guns. So is he blowing smoke to drum up a little extra cash or with some serious work can you get the performance without the name???

#20 ·
You need a second opinion. I send all 1911 work to Bill Oglesby. His family has been gun-smithing since 1888. He specializes in IPSC 1911's. Bill is a champion sharp shooter. You may have seen him on the History Channel. Call 217-487-7100

#23 ·
Cuz I am crazy and want to try the M&P line, but wont dip into my 1911 cash stash. I am thinking about keeping the SC9 and only getting rid of the 45full size XDM.

Just curious what stops a gunsmith from swapping out some inturnals and working on trigger, feedramp, etc and making it better??? I want to spend my money once.

#27 ·
OK, Update. I am keeping my SC9mm I have traded the XDM45 for a M&P40 and I am still not 100% on the 1911, but I have a new one I am thinking about. I have found a great deal on a NIB colt series 80 1911 its all stainless. I am not in love with the gun completely gotta swap out the grips and change the grip safty for a longer beavertail one. The grips are easy but how hard iis it to change the grip safty?? I didn't really want another colt or a project gun but the price is killer IMO $725 Whats the word on the 80 series? I know the 70 are much more desireable, but how much work is it to make the 80 a real tack driver??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.