Sip p238 pocket carry and fuzz, need a pocket gun

This is a discussion on Sip p238 pocket carry and fuzz, need a pocket gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, 380 may be anemic, yes pocket draw is slow, yes to a lot of other negatives, but fact is in some situations I need ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sip p238 pocket carry and fuzz, need a pocket gun

Sip p238 pocket carry and fuzz, need a pocket gun

Yes, 380 may be anemic, yes pocket draw is slow, yes to a lot of other negatives, but fact is in some situations I need one or will have none. Thought about the new S&W bodyguard 380 but first year gun and all...and why on earth does it have a thumb safety.

Anyway, earlier this summer I shot a p238 and loved it, but am concerned about cocked and locked pocket carry with pocket fuzz or anything getting in since the hammer is cocked. Is it really no big deal? Do you clean on a weekly basis??

Torn as need a pocket gun in the LCP/P238/bodyguard 380 size and can't decide. Do not like how the lcp shoots, bodyguard seems perfect except hard trigger pull AND a thumb safety plus first year blues, and 238 I am concerned with cocked and locked pocket carry. *sigh*

2. Remove Ads

I have a S&W 442 .38+P snubnosed revolver for those times when pocket carry in dress pants is my only option. Nice for a BUG and deep concealment at other times as well. Everyone needs a snub and 38+P is nothing to sneeze at. With a little practice, proficiency from SD ranges is no problem. 5 shot capacity may discourage some, but realistically it should be enough for a vast majority of SD situations if you practice. What percentage of the SD stories you've ever read that necessitated more than 5 rounds?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Having shot and owned both the LCP and P238 I'd definitely say the P238 is a much nicer gun overall. The LCP is just too light IMO and hard to hold on to, it felt like the kick was worse then my 1911. I sold the LCP for the P238 and am very happy with it. It's got enough weight to keep muzzle flip down and you gotta love the 1911 style trigger, safety and style. Pocket carry is no problem, the safety is heavy enough that it won't go down on accident and I can't see you getting too much pocket fuzz to cause it not to fire unless you have some pants falling apart into it. Just give it a quick wipe down every day and you'll be fine.

I daily carry a 238. At work it's my primary ccw, but once I'm home it's my 1911 backup. Perfect little gun. You will need to clean the hammer out once every two weeks or so. She breaks down to clean sooooo easily it's almost fun.

Two friends have a LCP. For it's price it works, but the 238 is far superior in almost every way. I carry it cocked and locked and have for the past four months. Safety has some serious snap, you won't be hitting it by accident.

I know it's not on your list, but see if you can rent a Diamond Back DB380 to test it out. I rented one a couple weeks ago and LOVED it. It's like a teeny little Glock, has real sights, and is a good shooter.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

I have a good mix of .380 pistols that I use in that role. LCP, DB380, Sig P238 and the PPK. Outa all those I choose the Sig as my main pocket carry pistol due to size and it's ability to run the +p Buffalo Bore stuff. I'd recommend the Sig in a minute. Outa all my pocket .380 pistols the Sig is by far the best at the range. Second would be the PPK and the LCP would come in last due to the beating it gives at the range. Some say it's not that bad, but I thinking these folks haven't shot the Sig for a fair comparison. The LCP is a awesome pocket option and I'll always keep mine in the inventory, but it's not fun to shoot at all IMO anyway. The DB380 is a very comfortable .380 to shoot too, but I'm not comfortable running the hot stuff through it so it sits in the safe.

I made a simple but effective pocket holster for my Sig and it seems to work perfectly for what it's intended for, here's a pic of it I clean my carry guns at least once every couple of weeks, but inspect my pocket pistols daily. I've never had a issue with pocket fuzz, but I guess it can happen if you don't check the pocket before loading it up with your pistol.

380 may be anemic
    I'd suggest the Sig P238 loaded with 100gr +p BB stuff to cure such opinions. 100grs traveling at 1100 fps and in sufficient numbers will do just fine.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

For those times that I need a pocket rocket, I just carry my P-3AT, but I do blow the lint out of it regularly.
    A pocket holster helps a lot. The P238 seems like a great little weapon, and I wouldn't worry about the lint while cocked and locked any more than I would worry about lint in the trigger area of my KelTec.
    Just check it regularly.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

IMO, nothing beats a J-Frame Airweight like the 442/642 for pocket carry. Lint is not an issue with the little wheelguns, and I've found the rounded profile blends into the pocket with a decent holster better than a semiauto. Personally, I carry a 642 in either a Mika or Nemesis pocket holster with Gold Dot 135gr+p short barrel rounds with an extra speed strip.

My father pocket carries a 238 and loves it. In our case, the stereotypes are reversed. The younger guy likes the revolver, and the old salt likes the bottomfeeder.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I love my P-238 since it has never had a malfunction, has minimal recoil, slide is easy to rack, slide locks back on the empty magazine, and it looks good. It's actually fun to take to the range.
    The safety detent is VERY positive, but I'm insisting on a pocket holster that covers the safety (and that's not the Desantis Nemisis) I'm having one made.
    I also have a IWB made by R. Grizzle and it's a work of art. The "City Slicker", and an OWB made by Bullard that, for the money, can't be beat. The "Bodyguard". Bullard can get it to you in a week if you don't want any extras. I got mine lined, and it took six weeks. Quality is very good.

I'd get an LCP just to save money, but the Sig is way ahead. LCP is a bit smaller, but the Sig fits in my pocket easily.

I just recently got one of the LCP's and the wife and I both don't think it recoils too bad. We do wish it would lock open after the last shot tho. She has mentioned that she would like an external safety on it as well. Maybe she needs a P238.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I think the Sig P238 is the perfect pocket gun. Of course I only know what works for me. I have learned a new habit of carrying my wallet in my rear left pocket. The sig goes in the right rear pocket in a soft Mikes #1. No lint problem. I go a technique of using a handkerchief to cover the top of the gun if it shows. It helps to get large enough pants so things don't get too tight. I carry this way everyday and the gun is out of sight and out of mind. Easy to draw. I don't carry locked and cocked. I spent enough time at the range practicing dropping the safety, dropping the hammer and shooting. It works for me. After sitting on my gun all week, occasionally, I find my mag released, so worth checking every couple days.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I pocket carried my P3AT for years. For years I've had nothing but good things to say about it, and still really like my P3AT (CT grips.) It does pickup quite a bit of dust, and pocket lint in the hammer area, so regular cleaning is a must.Very recently, I picked up a S&W 442, and its my EDC in the strong side front pocket. I can still successfully hide it in my Cintas workpants, and I carry a speed strip weakside. I've realized I have to be more conscience of it vs the p3at, because of the larger weight/size (If I'm not careful, it can look like I have a goiter in my leg, lol.) This time of year, when I'm out and about and not at work, I wear cargo shorts, wich are great. They can comfortably hide a speed loader, and two speed strips weakside.

I have an LCP its never given me any problems, its ugly as a glock but its hard to dislike something so flat and light. Cocked and locked with the sig won't be a problem, just wipe the lint off at the end of the day or get a can of compressed air to give it a nightly spray and clean it every few weeks.

I carry a Colt Mustang, and have for 18 yeras I've had it.
    I carry IWB or pocket. I have Uncle Mikes IWB and pocket holsters.
    I range practice 3-4 times a year and clean it afterwards. Never a malfunction.
    I carry hammer down, and safety off. I've trained to draw it with my hand off the trigger and cock it at the same time.
    Note: I am a smaller guy, 5-7. I carry concealed with shorts of jeans, because of the Souths heat. Last week, I made a 12 hour trip from Orlando to Virgina and back over 4 days. The gun was in my pocket while out of the vehicle and in the console of the SUV when riding/driving. There were two of us in the vehicle and we stopped every hour to swap drivers. Almost all the rest stops had a LEO there. Was not made. I think that's what you are looking for. If you believe the 380 is inadaquate, take a 1 gallon milk type jug, fill it with water and shoot it with a hydrashok. This will remove doubts about the ability to do the job. Yes, I know a 9, 10, or 45 is better, but theres a limit to what I can conceal. Fisrt rule of a gunfight: have a gun. next rule: no second place winners.

mastercapt- Is the Colt Mustang firing just like a 1911? If so why do you carry hammer down and safety off? The likely hook of having a AD carrying like that is a lot higher then just carrying cock and safety on. I know if you drop a 1911 with the hammer down and one in the chamber it can go off even with the safety on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links