Defensive Carry banner

I think I'm in love - with a 1911

3K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  Exodus 
#1 ·
But, my love has conditions!

So, I decided to get rid of a couple of my Sigs and today, I traded for another Sig! I traded for a LNIB Sig 1911, Blackwater Edition. The original owner only put 50 rounds through it; then it was a safe queen. Upon first glance, I was impressed with the Blackwater, it has a steel frame, and a 5" barrel. The balance is amazing. It had been sitting in a safe for seven months and it was only lightly lubed. Even then, it was very smooth. So... the deal is done and off we go. After I got home, I stripped it, and lubed it with some grease and a little CLP. It got even smoother.

Of course, I can't just look at a new gun. Fondling it is fun, but not as fun as shooting it. In short, it shoots amazing. My accuracy has always been spotty with new guns the first time out. The best group I shot today measured 2.5" at 7 yards. Simply amazing. That'll tighten up the next time out, I'm sure. I ran 100 rounds today. No jams. All the brass was extracted and ejected positively. I didn't check for a ejection pattern - all I care about is that it gets the brass out of the gun, and throws it away from me. I did experience one failure; I could not (and still can't) drop the slide by sling-shotting it. Even without a mag inserted, when I pull the slide back, the slide-stop doesn't drop all the way down. I'm assuming that the plunger that rides against the slide stop is a little too tight and it'll break in. Anyone got any suggestions on how to solve that problem (other than shooting it, a lot)?

The second problem I had was the bump pad on the grip safety. It is aggressive, and really bit into my hand. It was painful to shoot the gun. I use a pretty tight grip when I shoot - it works for my Sigs, M&P, Glock, etc, so I don't see any reason to change. That means I need to change out the grip safety. No big deal. I just need to find a good smooth one. It looks like I've got some research to find which style will fit. Even though it was painful, I still shot several 2 1/2" groups. I'm very happy with it.

And now, a few pictures. The aren't great, but the Sun wasn't real cooperative and I didn't feel like taking it to my studio at work.

And before you ask, no this won't be a safe queen. All my guns have to earn their keep. As soon as I switch the safety and break it in, it's going into carry rotation!

See less See more
#28 ·
I got the grip safety ordered yesterday. $39.95+shipping and it should drop it without any fitting. Hoping I see it before the weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.