I think I'm in love - with a 1911

This is a discussion on I think I'm in love - with a 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; But, my love has conditions! So, I decided to get rid of a couple of my Sigs and today, I traded for another Sig! I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm in love - with a 1911

But, my love has conditions!

So, I decided to get rid of a couple of my Sigs and today, I traded for another Sig! I traded for a LNIB Sig 1911, Blackwater Edition. The original owner only put 50 rounds through it; then it was a safe queen. Upon first glance, I was impressed with the Blackwater, it has a steel frame, and a 5" barrel. The balance is amazing. It had been sitting in a safe for seven months and it was only lightly lubed. Even then, it was very smooth. So... the deal is done and off we go. After I got home, I stripped it, and lubed it with some grease and a little CLP. It got even smoother.

Of course, I can't just look at a new gun. Fondling it is fun, but not as fun as shooting it. In short, it shoots amazing. My accuracy has always been spotty with new guns the first time out. The best group I shot today measured 2.5" at 7 yards. Simply amazing. That'll tighten up the next time out, I'm sure. I ran 100 rounds today. No jams. All the brass was extracted and ejected positively. I didn't check for a ejection pattern - all I care about is that it gets the brass out of the gun, and throws it away from me. I did experience one failure; I could not (and still can't) drop the slide by sling-shotting it. Even without a mag inserted, when I pull the slide back, the slide-stop doesn't drop all the way down. I'm assuming that the plunger that rides against the slide stop is a little too tight and it'll break in. Anyone got any suggestions on how to solve that problem (other than shooting it, a lot)?

The second problem I had was the bump pad on the grip safety. It is aggressive, and really bit into my hand. It was painful to shoot the gun. I use a pretty tight grip when I shoot - it works for my Sigs, M&P, Glock, etc, so I don't see any reason to change. That means I need to change out the grip safety. No big deal. I just need to find a good smooth one. It looks like I've got some research to find which style will fit. Even though it was painful, I still shot several 2 1/2" groups. I'm very happy with it.

And now, a few pictures. The aren't great, but the Sun wasn't real cooperative and I didn't feel like taking it to my studio at work.

And before you ask, no this won't be a safe queen. All my guns have to earn their keep. As soon as I switch the safety and break it in, it's going into carry rotation!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

About all I can say is that's one beautiful pistol! Glad you posted pics for sure. In a way I almost hate getting into these 1911 threads, but I continue to contain myself somewhat for reasons unknown. 1911 is what I cut my teeth on, and it's forever going to be what I admire the most no matter what. I'm wishing you the best with it.

Thanks Ram Rod. I'm really liking this 1911 already. Even though it has the Sig contour on the slide, it feels and functions like a true 1911. It doesn't have a full length guide rod. Nothing fancy. It breaks down without any special tools. Other than the Blackwater logo on the slide, everything that departs from JMB's original design is for improved function. While the wood grips are really nice, they have the perfect balance between texture and smooth finish.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

My P220 SAO feels the same way you've described as for the feel and function for me. Maybe that's why I'm happy where I am for now with it (the 1911 ordeal). Your new pistol just has more of the look and the classic features. Assuming your SIG is compatible with most available parts for the 1911, I'm sure you'll find the parts to make it what you will with minimal work.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Very nice gun! Regarding your problems, you don't have to replace your grip safety. Simply get some 80 grit sand paper and smooth down the sharp edges. Once you have it where you want it, use 2-3 grades of finer grit sand paper to smooth it out. You can also use a file, but easy does it.
    To check your slide stop, disassemble your gun and insert the stop into the frame. It should move up and down very easily with no resistance. I seriously doubt it's the plunger, the plunger spring exerts very little pressure. If it's very stiff a gunsmith can fit it properly or you might try your luck with a replacement.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    Sweet pistol, I have been thinking of getting another 5” 1911 and haven’t decided on a SA or Sig. But after seeing your Blackwater edition I may just have to find one of my own.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

It's hard not to love a 1911.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

That is indeed a beauty. Congrats.

Congrats! Gotta love the 1911's!

It's difficult not to like a 1911, and you have a great looking one there.
    Enjoy!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Congrats on a very nice pistol.
    Semper Fi

Just one word comes to mind when I see it........... AWESOME!

Congrats, and yes the 1911 rocks period. Most that don't think so have never shot one.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Good lookin' gun!

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Very nice looking 1911.

I do believe Sig has dropped the use of the Blackwater logo. In a few years, your pistol will be very unique.

Kahrcarrier - You're right. Sig still builds this gun, but without the logo or grips. It's now called the Tactical Operations.

Automatic Slim - I thought of that, but it's not just rough edges. When depressed, it protrudes 1/8" or more from the frame. That's a lot of metal to take off.

I'm pretty sure Sig puts a safety without the "speed bump" as they call it on some of their 1911's. I'm planning on calling them Monday to see if I can just order from them. If not, Brownells has lots of options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links