S&W model 60 vs model 19

S&W model 60 vs model 19

This is a discussion on S&W model 60 vs model 19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I "accidently" purchased a Model 19-5 2.5 barrell yesterday. I had no intentions of buying it, it just sorta happend. I havent even shot it ...

Thread: S&W model 60 vs model 19

S&W model 60 vs model 19

I "accidently" purchased a Model 19-5 2.5 barrell yesterday. I had no intentions of buying it, it just sorta happend. I havent even shot it yet. I know that its gonna shoot just as sweet as its big brother my Model 13-1 4". I have shot a 19-4 for years that belongs to my dad so I wasnt suprised by its buttery smooth trigger pull. I have to admit it has the smoothes trigger I have ever pulled in DA. My question is. I am wondering if I should trade it for a Model 60. The reaso I question this is I carry daily in appendix IWB. I find the grip of the K frame sticks out more than I would like. I carry appendix because I get bumped into often and I am a hugger. I also think that with the 60 being stainless it might be better for South Ga humidity. I know that its a 5 vs 6 shot as well. I know the modern j frame trigger wont be as smooth as the K. If I were going to shoot 357 out of either Im sure the 19 would soak up more recoil. I dont I will probably shoot a few 357 out of either but primarily it will be 38 +P. I wonder should I trade and if so what should the trade be like. The 19 I bought yesterday is in super shape and the blue is beautiful. There is a slight cylinder mark but appears to have been shot very little.

There is no such thing as a bad trade, as long as everyones happy with what they get. The model 19 is a classic, and I would prefer it over the 60, but that's a personal thing. While the 19/66 series had issues with prolonged mag loads, the model 60 is a smaller frame so I don't know how much better it would fair. Since you stated you would use mostly 38s, it is a mute point. For me having one less round is not a big issue either, I just prefer the 19. I believe that's what you too will make your decision on too.

One other thing, you can buy boot grips that will reduce the butt length of the 19, fwiw.

I haven't given up. I currently have Pacmyer compacts. I may try something wood since recoil will be mild with 38 even +p. I also don't have a decent holster I'm still trying to decide which one yet.

Ex Member
    For IWB carry the 60 will blend a lot easier. For winter time I carry mine in a paddle holster, and yes, being stainless really keeps it looking good.

When in doubt...buy both?

Quote Originally Posted by LoadedPipes View Post
    When in doubt...buy both?
    YES keep the 19 and get a 60
    Luke 22:36 and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

I'd keep the 19 and buy a 60

I like the model 19 snubby well enough to have two of them, and also have a model 60 snubby. The guns are quite different in size, as the 19 weighs about 32 ounces while the 60 is maybe 21 ounces. The 60 is easy to conceal, even in the pocket, while the 19 requires a good belt holster. The 19 has the best trigger and handles .357 ammo easily because of its weight. I wouldn't trade a 19 in excellent shape as they have become classics for either collecting or shooting. A good one will run between $550 and $600 where I live. I think you should buy one of each if you have the chance.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I think that sounds perfect.I'm pretty sure the 19 is pressing my luck. Last week I brought home my second child a son and this week a new gun. I'm thinking my gun account is strapped for now a probably for a little bit. I sold a set of CT grips and my bow that money is gone.

Well since S&W is offering a $50 rebate on J frames I would just hang to the mod 19 and get a J frame. The last thing I need is another J frame, but if I can pick up a 642 for $400 why not have a light weight option?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I have one of the early model 60's like Pogo posted above. I prefer a SS weapon for carry for multiple reasons. The early model 60's were only 38 special, later they changed them and went to 357, the early 60's are not so easy to come by so if you find one keep it. They also have a much better trigger compared to Smith's current wheel guns.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Senior Moderator
    I'd be willing to work around a 2 1/2-inch K-Frame like a Model 19 or Model 66 in order to carry it concealed. I'm not personally that fond of J-Frames except for an occasional pocket carry.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I actually was shopping for a SP101. I had figured that it would be between a J and a K frame. I had been saving for the SP101 I just had a hard time walking away from a $400 2" K frame 19 in excellent shape.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links