Defensive Carry banner

safety problem on my 1911

4K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  OD* 
#1 ·
I carry my kimber 1911 in a supertuck deluxe and I have problems with the safety disengaging somehow. Because of this problem I don't keep a round in the chamber until I can find a solution. Has anyone had problems with the safety disengaging and, if so, has anyone found a solution? Thanks for your help!

#4 ·
Very slightly deepen the little dimple in the thumb safety that the plunger snicks into and replace the little plunger tube spring. It's a simple fix. A local smith can do it if you don't feel up to it.

#6 ·
Good advice I think. More positive engagement of the safety. I know exactly what he's talking about.

#11 ·
I have cut a slot in to my holster's for the safety to ride in they will not move , there should be a mark where the safety sets outline and remove the leather and the safety will stay in place . This has worked for me for many years. When checking your safety place your thumb between the hammer and the slide and check that the safety is all the way up. a good holster should cover the trigger guard .

#12 ·
I do understand what you are suggesting, but his safety is not against the holster.

#13 ·
All of my holsters are high rise between the gun and my side. a thumb brake holster or a D .M. Bullard Holster which is a thick leather holster that the safety will make a impression in the leather and stay. B.M. Bullard is my favorite holster I wear it all day every day , full size Colt Combat Commander .

#15 ·
A properly installed thumb safety will engage and disengage in a very positive manner and usually with a distinct click. It actually requires a minor amount of force to operate it. If yours is not snapping in and out of engagement, it may not be properly installed. If I'm correct, nearly all Kimbers are equipted with an extended safety. Combine this with being a lefty and the safety is over exposed. My recommendation is to switch to the old style safety that doesn't protrude as much and is less likely to disengage.

#19 ·
I dropped my 1911 out of my holster while on horseback and it did not have the thumb safety engaged ( I do not carry with the thumb safety on as the grip safety is good enough IMHO) . It fell on rocks and bounced around at least four times before coming to rest and it never discharged.

#20 ·
I dropped my 1911 out of my holster while on horseback and it did not have the thumb safety engaged ( I do not carry with the thumb safety on as the grip safety is good enough IMHO) . It fell on rocks and bounced around at least four times before coming to rest and it never discharged.

Kinda risky IMO, but that's me.... Best of luck to ya, and those around ya when you're carrying in that condition. :gah:

#21 ·
Here's your fix: Install a high quality ambi safety (I like Ed Brown's), but remove most or all of the thumb lever on the left side of the gun. You'll then have the left-handed equivalent of a standard 1911, with the safety lever on the right side of the gun, under your left thumb where it belongs. It will also be against the holster, instead of hanging out where it can be bumped off easily. If you don't feel competent to do the installation, any good gunsmith can do it.

#31 ·
#33 ·
You have to use the left side thumb safety with the one shown, it states;
For use in conjunction with Crimson Trace Laser grips when you firearm currently has the full paddle ambidexterous safety.
Unfortunately, you can't just make a safety to use on the right side, the frame has to have an opening bid enough for the lug that blocks the sear to pass through, and be large enough for ample clearance when the safety/lug are moved up and down when placing the 1911 on safe, or in the off safe position.

#32 ·
Regarding carrying with the thumb safety off or it disengaging accidently. Not only does the 1911 have a grip safety, it has a half cock. Some also have the series 80 firing pin/plunger set up. It is extremely safe and well designed. One thing for sure, it has enough safeties. I'm not advocating walking around with a loaded chamber, safety off, but if the thumb safety becomes disengaged, there are certainly enough secondary safeties to prevent it from discharging accidentally. JMB knew what he was doing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.