safety problem on my 1911

This is a discussion on safety problem on my 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry my kimber 1911 in a supertuck deluxe and I have problems with the safety disengaging somehow. Because of this problem I don't keep ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: safety problem on my 1911

safety problem on my 1911

I carry my kimber 1911 in a supertuck deluxe and I have problems with the safety disengaging somehow. Because of this problem I don't keep a round in the chamber until I can find a solution. Has anyone had problems with the safety disengaging and, if so, has anyone found a solution? Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Ads

If you have an ambi-safety, you may want to convert to non-ambi.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post
    If you have an ambi-safety, you may want to convert to non-ambi.
    It's a non-ambi safety, and I'm left handed. I'm not sure if this info will help.

Administrator
    Very slightly deepen the little dimple in the thumb safety that the plunger snicks into and replace the little plunger tube spring. It's a simple fix. A local smith can do it if you don't feel up to it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brian l View Post
    It's a non-ambi safety, and I'm left handed. I'm not sure if this info will help.
    Is the gun a left handed gun or is the safety on the outside when you carry?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Very slightly deepen the little dimple in the thumb safety that the plunger snicks into and replace the little plunger tube spring. It's a simple fix. A local smith can do it if you don't feel up to it.

Good advice I think. More positive engagement of the safety. I know exactly what he's talking about.

You could be accidentally swiping the safety off if the safety is on the outside. I wouldn't be too concerned carrying with one in the chamber and the safety off, you still have the grip safety keeping the gun from firing.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Is the gun a left handed gun or is the safety on the outside when you carry?
    The gun is a right handed gun, and the safety is on the outside when carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by brian l View Post
    The gun is a right handed gun, and the safety is on the outside when carrying.
    Because he's left handed! Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GotCBOB View Post
    You could be accidentally swiping the safety off if the safety is on the outside. I wouldn't be too concerned carrying with one in the chamber and the safety off, you still have the grip safety keeping the gun from firing.
    Are you kidding? That merits repeating. ARE YOU KIDDING?!!

I have cut a slot in to my holster's for the safety to ride in they will not move , there should be a mark where the safety sets outline and remove the leather and the safety will stay in place . This has worked for me for many years. When checking your safety place your thumb between the hammer and the slide and check that the safety is all the way up. a good holster should cover the trigger guard .

Quote Originally Posted by rock.45 View Post
    I have cut a slot in to my holster's for the safety to ride in they will not move , there should be a mark where the safety sets outline and remove the leather and the safety will stay in place . This has worked for me for many years. When checking your safety place your thumb between the hammer and the slide and check that the safety is all the way up. a good holster should cover the trigger guard .
    I do understand what you are suggesting, but his safety is not against the holster.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

All of my holsters are high rise between the gun and my side. a thumb brake holster or a D .M. Bullard Holster which is a thick leather holster that the safety will make a impression in the leather and stay. B.M. Bullard is my favorite holster I wear it all day every day , full size Colt Combat Commander .

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    A properly installed thumb safety will engage and disengage in a very positive manner and usually with a distinct click. It actually requires a minor amount of force to operate it. If yours is not snapping in and out of engagement, it may not be properly installed. If I'm correct, nearly all Kimbers are equipted with an extended safety. Combine this with being a lefty and the safety is over exposed. My recommendation is to switch to the old style safety that doesn't protrude as much and is less likely to disengage.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links