XS Big Dot Tritium Express Site

This is a discussion on XS Big Dot Tritium Express Site within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I get older and my eyes get weaker I am looking for an edge in the sighting system of my carry G-23. I just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XS Big Dot Tritium Express Site

Cool XS Big Dot Tritium Express Site

As I get older and my eyes get weaker I am looking for an edge in the sighting system of my carry G-23. I just purchased an XS Big Dot and have not had a chance to take it to the range yet so I am carrying my G-19 until I do. Does anyone have this setup on their carry gun and if so what are the pro's and con's of the system. Thanks for the reply's.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

I have a set on my G19 and have been very happy with them. Pros are they are very fast on target and follow up shots. Con is it takes some time to get adjusted to them and your (mine arent) groups will not be as tight as with a three dot system. I can still hit COM with confidence out to 25 yds. Overall, I am very glad I got them and if I get another EDC (Looking at Sigs), they will also have a Big dot. In my book, it is the best combat sight you can own.

EW3
    They take some getting used to, and if you are used to 3 dot sights, you may not like them at first. Give it some time!

Remember, you want to "Dot the i" and place the Big Dot OVER the target or spot you want to hit. Once you practice and get used to them, you will really like them.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Have them on both my XDs. Love them. Didn't really loose any accuracy than Glocks standard sights, but gained very fast target acquisition and bright night sights. I'm 49, so Big Dots were a must for my eyes, but will easily work great for anyone inside 15 yards. Beyond that takes some practice and good trigger control, but doable up to 60 ft so far.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

I had a set on my 2nd Gen Glock 23 also(B4 I upgraded to new a Ruger SR9c) they were good..real good combat sights...didnt lose much out to 15 yds and gained time as it didnt take as long to get a proper sight picture..but out past that its not as accurate..you CAN still hit but the pattern(at least for me) opened up MORE than it did when I put the Warren Tacticals on it. The Tacticals being a more traditional sight gave me tighter groups but were not as quick.

I just got back from the range. I had an assortment of guns, three were M&P's and two were Glocks that we purposely put different sights on each. I put the Warren Tactical 2 Dot sights on my M&P9 and TruGlo TFO front w/ TruGlo tritium rears (since i couldn't run Warrens due to size). My buddy had the XS Big Dot on his M&P45 and the TruGlo TFO on his M&P9. Also had the XS Big Dot on the Kahr P380 and the Springer EMP.

We ran about 300 rounds through the three M&P's. I found I was fastest on the draw and transitions with the Warren Tactical. I ran all three about the same time on splits, but the difference was that I could track the front sight better on the XS. This didn't make it faster or more accurate, just a little easier to see in all lighting conditions. In bright light, the edge went to the TFO's for tracking, but only slightly.

The XS did not have a tritium bar on the M&P, but did on the EMP and the Kahr. One thing I've been thinking about trying is running a Warren rear with a XS standard size dot front. The white is thick and not just painted, so it should hold up for a while and not need touched up like my white outlines do. At first I thought these were gimmicky, but now I am starting to like them. I've been searching for the brightest front sight possible. the TFO's come close, but for durability reasons, I think I've settled on the Warrens. I'm at the range at least 4 times a week and since my buddy is too, I'll get a good bit of time on the XS sights and we'll see what happens down the road. For me, the jury is still out on the XS sights. We're going to set up some course in a few weeks and run all three to see how we do with each. He's switching the TFO's and XS sights on his M&P 45 and 9mm so we can get a better feel how the XS do against the Warrens.

Warren Two Dot sights. The front sight is a standard tritium with a white outline, they just look bigger and brighter in the image.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

LOVE my XS Big Dots. Have them on my G 30 and on the front of my M&P 340.

Cool

Thanks for the input and reviews. I like the looks of the XSBD on my G-23 and in dry practice I can pick them up much quicker than I could with the standard Glock sights. In the dark the rear sight is a very thin line however because of the contrast of the large front sight it is quick to "dot the I". I hope to get to the range this weekend to do some live fire and get the real story.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Congratulations. I hope they work better for you than what I've seen in the past here. You may indeed be able to shoot a decent group with them eventually, but it will be at half the speed and with a lot more deviation control. IMHO, these are a gimmicky solution to a training problem.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ks kid View Post
    I have a set on my G19 and have been very happy with them. Pros are they are very fast on target and follow up shots. Con is it takes some time to get adjusted to them and your (mine arent) groups will not be as tight as with a three dot system. I can still hit COM with confidence out to 25 yds. Overall, I am very glad I got them and if I get another EDC (Looking at Sigs), they will also have a Big dot. In my book, it is the best combat sight you can own.
    I have to agree with this statement especially for a CCW handgun. And I own a lot of handguns and have used just about every kind oif site ever developed for Handguns at one time or the other.

G26 with XS Big DOT
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    You may indeed be able to shoot a decent group with them eventually, but it will be at half the speed and with a lot more deviation control. IMHO, these are a gimmicky solution to a training problem.
    Totally depends on what you are trying to "group" on. They are not made to punch tight holes in paper, but to quickly "group" rounds where you need them, in the center of a bad guys chest at defensive distances, and for this they are great if you know how to shoot with them. I have many other Handguns and sight systems to group on paper with if thats what I feel like doing, but I am way past that now. Static paper punching is really somewhat of a waste of time and ammo if you have mastered the basics of pistol craft. The reality for many here is to many shooters only get the chance to punch paper and don't get any practical defensive shooting training or practice/experience and thats a shame because thats the kind of training and practice thats really needed.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

the first set of xsbd i bought was for my glock 23, and after shooting them i bought them for the rest of my carry glocks. i think they are the best and quickest self defense sights out there. i can still hit a paper plate with them out to 25 yards i think that is more then acturate for SD. but if for some reason you dont like them and really want to get rid of them i will take the moff your hands. lol
    The only way to beat Violence, is with Violence!

I have XS Big Dot sights on 2 Kahrs and just today put one on my new Ruger LCR, they are well worth the money. It is easy to find your gun when awakened in the night, and put you on the target very quickly.

I have had an XS Big Dot on my Glock 19 for a while. It is faster for me than the factory 3-dot sights.

You can see video comparisons of me with the Big Dot

and with the factory 3-dot night sights.

When I did a frame-by-frame comparison of the two videos, I found that I was about 10% faster shot-to-shot with the Big Dots.

Oddly, I was faster with my Glock 26 with factory 3-dot sights than I was with either configuration of the Glock 19.

I am now in the progress of switching to Trijicon RMR red dot sights for my Glocks.

YMMV one hell of a lot,
    Bill

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I have XS Big Dots on my M&P9c. Minute of bad guy for me at 10 yards, and I'm not a great shot. Very, very fast to get there, though.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links